Primidone - Anybody take this, or have in the past?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supervisor42

Formerly known as Supervisor42
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
My neurologist changed my prescription for essential tremors from propranolol ER 60mg to primidone 50mg with a stair-step plan starting with half a tablet per day going up to 2 tablets per day over a months time.
I read up on it on WebMD and it's complicated.
Any information/experience would be much appreciated.

DH takes both for tremors. Doc did the stair step plan with both, I believe. Now he takes 20 mg propranolol morning and eve. Primidone 50 mg-2 in the morning and one in the evening. It took a while to get there and his tremors are severe. Good luck finding your level!

DH takes both for tremors. Doc did the stair step plan with both, I believe. Now he takes 20 mg propranolol morning and eve. Primidone 50 mg-2 in the morning and one in the evening. It took a while to get there and his tremors are severe. Good luck finding your level!
The most striking thing I found in the info is, you can't just stop taking it 'cold-turkey' without going thru withdrawal worse than the symptoms you were taking it for.
You have to 'wean' yourself off it. :oops:
I guess becoming dependent on a medicine is just something that comes with old age.:confused:

The most striking thing I found in the info is, you can't just stop taking it 'cold-turkey' without going thru withdrawal worse than the symptoms you were taking it for.
You have to 'wean' yourself off it. :oops:
I guess becoming dependent on a medicine is just something that comes with old age.:confused:
Old age is not for sissies.

I guess I should update this. The Dr. subscribed for me to get up to 1 50mg primidone in morning and 2 at bedtime. He also said taking the propanalol with it would help.
I tried that, but in the morning I was a POS :mad:.
I finally settled down to one 60mg Extended-Release propanalol and one primidone in the morning and just one primidone before bed.
Now, don't ask me to write anything in the morning, but you can at least understand what I am saying:rolleyes:.
@rusty is right. It ain't for sissies:(.
*Not medical advice, just the adventures of some guy that didn't die when he was supposed to...because he is hard-headed :-( .

Last edited:
DH still takes the same. He can't write, anytime. I'm so glad he is still with me!
I still can :D.......after I have had 2 or 3 beers! :rolleyes:
62288-Toast.gif

Unfortunately, not an option for a recovering alcoholic (33 years so far)!
I do wonder if it would help with my tremors. Might have to try.
It does work great if you have essential tremors.
Years ago, the paperwork from the first doctor suggested a glass of wine with lunch. (I don't like wine)
Wikipedia said: ET is generally responsive to alcohol, but the risks of regular drinking are greater than the potential benefit. Nonetheless, ET patients sometimes self-medicate with alcohol.
I disagree with half of that. Many of us are in the 'nothing left to lose' catagory.
I inhaled every known hazardous chemical known to man in my career so ET is no surprise to me.
You have to decide, which is worse: a fully functioning adult that could use a drink now and then, or a basketcase that can't even tie their own shoelaces all day :mad:.
@rusty is right.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back