Product Report on Kryo Packs

Discussion in 'Product reviews' started by Peanut, Jan 3, 2019.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Jan 3, 2019 #1

Peanut

Peanut

Peanut

Awesome Friend Neighbor Neighbor Contributor

Kryopacks or icepacks, what ever you want to call them… They are the flat, flask shaped things you put in your freezer that become solid blocks of frozen “stuff”. You can then drop them in a cooler. They are great for keeping anything in a cooler, cold, for about 36hrs. Tidy, don’t have to deal with ice or melted ice in a cooler.

I bought mine at a dollar store. They came in 2 sizes, 16oz and 8oz. This was about 30 months ago, sorry, I lost the receipt from the dollar store. I can only give approximate times, but my estimate is close.

Within the last 2 weeks cracks began to appear in the 16oz ice packs, in 9 of the 10 I purchased. It’s amazing they all began to fail at once. One began leaking “blue stuff”. No cracks or leaks have yet appeared in the 8oz size. I have no doubt they will start to crack soon.

These things are very handy. When I grocery shop in the big town, anything frozen I buy, will begin to thaw on the edges by the time I get home. I always take a cooler to the big town with a few ice packs in it.

Any who… they last about 30 months when used constantly… for planning purposes. :)

2. Jan 3, 2019 #2

Caribou

Caribou

Caribou

Time traveler Neighbor Neighbor Contributor

The cheap ones don't last very long. The hard plastic ones last quite a bit longer. You can put the good ones in a ZipLoc and save yourself some cleanup.

3. Jan 3, 2019 #3

Peanut

Peanut

Peanut

Awesome Friend Neighbor Neighbor Contributor

I bought new freezer pak’s at WM today. They were a name brand I found on the net on a top 5 list. They are a lot bigger than the "large" ones I had. Maybe they’ll out last the cheap ones I got at the dollar store.

Freeze Pak .jpg

Patchouli, kd4ulw and Bacpacker like this.
  4. Jan 3, 2019 #4

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

Awesome Friend Neighbor Contributor

I use the ice packs that come with some of our meds. I have some I've used 3 years and no leaks yet. We have also used the medical type ice packs used to put on sore joints or muscles. They seem to be more flexible and have a heavier type coating.
    I also picked up a RTIC softside coolers. Its about 2" thick of foam insulation and will hold a couple of the ice packs for 24 hours.

Terri9630, Patchouli and Peanut like this.