Programmed In My Younger Days...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meh, looks as if I'll have to use Vimeo for the ditch-riding video... the Canon cam won't let me resize it, I already tried. So lemme go see about getting it done at Vimeo, then a simple link will work. The good news is that I had a BLAST yesterday, while the evening campfire & BBQ under a million stars was a great success... darned good timing too, as some clouds are already moving into the area. Today I'm just gonna relax and putter around my home, I'm very pleased with the work I've done this week (so far), my BBQ is finally where it belongs and I can start coating the deck of that front porch now that most of the stuff has been cleared. I'm off to see about that video... Cheers!!! :cool:

Well, that was fairly easy... one reason why I prefer Vimeo over YouTube. Here's the video of the "short run"---I'll have to go back later and catch a "long run" clear from the top of the ditch, or at least the ridable part of the ditch. Some sections are NOT ridable, or they're kinked at the transition where the banked walls meet the bottom of the ditch. I should add that there are other ditches to ride in this Alamo burg, I met a cool hand who actually helped build the ditches here, and he told me about some other ditches which I shall have to check out later. Here's yesterday's ride (finally, lol), and SoJer, this one's for you, AYE? ;)

"All aboard the Alamo Express!!!"

P.S. For those site members who've never done this, the actual ride is far more exciting than the video, lol... :cool:

Last edited:
Hey, SoJer! You online? Didja see the video yet? I reckon it'll bring back some good memories, lol. When I was a young man, I'd fly off those banks and hit those walls or fences, lol, but at my age I'm content just to carve the ditch itself and enjoy the ride, 10-4? Hey, free fun & exercise on a beautiful day, what's NOT to like? 😉

P.S. I drank three beers and took a hit o' chronic before making this shorter second run... at some point in the future, I'll go back and pull the "long run" like I did yesterday even though the camera did not cooperate, lol. That's why there's some profanity in this run, that blasted Canon cam foiled me the first time... one fine day, I'll put a bullet through it, lol. 😳

I meant to post these specific times up earlier, but fell down on the job, lol... been busy with other stuff, aye? Here we go:

3:10---'3:10 to Yuma' time

4:20---pothead time

6:19---original San Diego area code time

7:07, 7:27, 7:37, 7:47 & 7:57---Boeing aircraft time(s)

8:05---San Diego freeway time

9:05---another Who moment, from the song '905' which I used to crank back in my Aarrrrrghmy Daze

The Who---905

10:40---IRS time

11:11---four aces or four bullets time, lol

12:15---Magna Carta time

Just a sampler of the moments which trigger odd memories, lol... I'd better get cleaned up and run to town. Cheers! :cool:

P.S. Funny how 'spot on' that 905 tune is NOW, with all the AI BS going down... almost like a prophecy fulfilled, lol. :oops:

Last edited:
Well, youse HEE-ROES, I'm about to sign off and cook some PRIMO burrito mix, but I reckon I'll post these pics of the bad boy ditch I rode today. Here we go with the few short still pics I bagged, I have video to process but I gotta make some dinner, yeah? Lemme post these shots first, then come back and address them, lol... ;)

View attachment 95885
View attachment 95886
View attachment 95887
View attachment 95888
View attachment 95889
View attachment 95890

Check out that COOL STREAK O' BURNT RUBBER when I came to a screeching halt prior to taking this last photo, lol. Yes, I was HAULIN' @$$ up the goldurned concrete drainage ditch after working it side to side, but I came upon this SPLIT DITCH ACTION which threw me for a loop, so I decided to STOP and take a photo... this was BEFORE I taped up the Canon cam to my handlebars, so bear with me. Might have a few more "streak" shots with that burnt rubber, lol. :oops:

View attachment 95891
View attachment 95892
View attachment 95893
View attachment 95894

Okay, I have GOT to make dinner here, I only threw these pics down for SoJer... I'll get to the video cr@p later, lol. Boy, I'm HUNGRY now too, so enough of this beloved H&CL website action for TONIGHT!!! Say, the 100% graffiti in that last pic *MIGHT* just be my SCORE after my SWEET RUN, lol. Olympic bobsled runners gots NOTHIN' on ALAMO for hard fast runs, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! This place gets MO' BETTAH every day of the week, LOL. CHEERS!!! 🍺

Love the beer can wrap. My alma mater: Bear Down Arizona.

I meant to post these specific times up earlier, but fell down on the job, lol... been busy with other stuff, aye? Here we go:

3:10---'3:10 to Yuma' time

4:20---pothead time

6:19---original San Diego area code time

7:07, 7:27, 7:37, 7:47 & 7:57---Boeing aircraft time(s)

8:05---San Diego freeway time

9:05---another Who moment, from the song '905' which I used to crank back in my Aarrrrrghmy Daze

The Who---905

10:40---IRS time

11:11---four aces or four bullets time, lol

12:15---Magna Carta time

Just a sampler of the moments which trigger odd memories, lol... I'd better get cleaned up and run to town. Cheers! :cool:

P.S. Funny how 'spot on' that 905 tune is NOW, with all the AI BS going down... almost like a prophecy fulfilled, lol. :oops:
they let you SLEEP? show off

A few more clock moments which trigger memories... some of them ugly memories, lol. :eek:

2:10---Foothill Freeway time (across the top of L.A., not really that bad as far as L.A. freeways go)

4:05---San Diego Freeway time (ugh, dunno why they call it that when it's in 'Smell-A')

4:54---Pickup From Hell time (another motor moment, lol)

5:05---Racing Dinghy time

6:06---Dunlop Knobby time

7:10---Long Beach Freeway time (another ugh moment, brings back memories of Terminal Island in the big truck)

9:00---Tony Hawk time (lol, after his signature 900* aerial)

10:20---Location time

12:34---Numerical Sequence time (there are many of these round the clock, lol)

Those of you who live in L.A. or have visited it, y'all know the freeways can really get congested, just absolute parking lot material, lol... the 405 and 710 are two of the worst, I've wasted hours of my life on those two freeways. Whenever I had the choice, I would enter or exit L.A. at 0300, and even then there was traffic, but at least it was MOVING, lol. Oh, well, my time there is done, thank goodness... with luck, I'll NEVER see the traffic clusterf#% around the Katella Exit on 405 again, lol. Damn, that place was a time-consuming nightmare, like the 'Black Hole of Time!' :oops:

Funny thing, an old hand and truck driver once described that stop-and-go BS in L.A. as "accordion traffic"---the PERFECT NAME for it, lol. Lawrence Welk would've been happy to hear that classic expression, lol. Good ol' Lawrence, he was a real hand on the accordion, I used to watch him on TV with me beloved & dear departed mum... at one point in her life, she played violin for Tommy Dorsey in his orchestra (Big Band Era). I never watched the Lawrence Welk show when I was a younger man, but later in life, I learned to appreciate it... beats hearing that modern rap cr@p hands down, lol. 😒

P.S. I just had a funny flashback, have any of you ever heard of 'The Black Hole of Calcutta?' If you haven't, you can find it on the web, lol. Henceforth, that Katella Exit shall be known as "The Black Hole of Katella!!!" 🤣

Last edited:
Saw my beautiful drainage ditch today on the way back from dropping books at the library... so I'm resurrecting this thread just to watch the ditch-riding video again, lol. It's cool when ya have a buzz on, as I do right now... I'm gonna hafta go back to that ditch and do a high-speed run all the way down the best stretch, yeah? My skateboarding friends & I would've loved this ditch in earlier years, the sections with smooth rounded transition are perfect for skating! Free fun! :cool:

Latest posts

Back