Propane Tank,Where To Put It?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Our propane tank was put up against house when we built the house.
I was thinking that could be a bad place, what do ya'll think?

Should we get gas company to move it and if so how many fee away?

How big is your tank? A large tank I would consider building a cinderblock wall around it as a fire break.

I think it says under 120 up against house, over that away from house. Ours is just 80lb.s or gallons. We only use it for stove to cook.

1443445591_Propane-Above-Ground-Tank-Location.jpg

How big is your tank? A large tank I would consider building a cinderblock wall around it as a fire break.

Thanks Car, I was thinking in a few months of maybe buying a larger tank but our is only 80 gallon or lb.s whatever they measure it by. We only fill it once a year.

LP tanks can't explode but they can burst if exposed to enough heat. The reason for moving larger tanks further from ignition points is that LPG is heavier than air and will build up in low spots and wait for an ignition source. 2 tablespoons of liquid LPG in a 12x12x8 foot room is equivalent to 12 sticks of dynamite. As long as it is not exposed to air it is safe - I have welded a cracked weld on a half full tank. The escaping gas burns but there is no air in the tank so it can't explode like a gasoline tank can.
If you want to build a fire break around the tank be sure to leave vent ports at the bottom of the wall so fumes won't fill the area inside the fire break. The vents should be at the lowest parts of the walls to allow the fumes to travel down hill away from the home and firebreak.

LP tanks can't explode but they can burst if exposed to enough heat. The reason for moving larger tanks further from ignition points is that LPG is heavier than air and will build up in low spots and wait for an ignition source. 2 tablespoons of liquid LPG in a 12x12x8 foot room is equivalent to 12 sticks of dynamite. As long as it is not exposed to air it is safe - I have welded a cracked weld on a half full tank. The escaping gas burns but there is no air in the tank so it can't explode like a gasoline tank can.
If you want to build a fire break around the tank be sure to leave vent ports at the bottom of the wall so fumes won't fill the area inside the fire break. The vents should be at the lowest parts of the walls to allow the fumes to travel down hill away from the home and firebreak.

Thank you SheepD. And as usual I love seeing that beautiful dog on your avatar.

That beautiful dog is actually the picture of a wolf - but it looks so much like my Norwegian Elkhound that I couldn't resist it. Mine was a female and the picture is a male but the similarity is striking. They howl just like wolves and they talk, a lot, with their throaty voice. When I get more room there will be dogs in my future but right now space is limited.

That beautiful dog is actually the picture of a wolf - but it looks so much like my Norwegian Elkhound that I couldn't resist it. Mine was a female and the picture is a male but the similarity is striking. They howl just like wolves and they talk, a lot, with their throaty voice. When I get more room there will be dogs in my future but right now space is limited.
I use to have an Elkhound. Made people nervous because he didn't bark, smartest dog I've ever had.

Maybe thats why I love it so much. We had a real full blooded wolf when I was a kid. And he looks a lot like your wolf on the avatar. He got snake bit on the face and shot in the face with buckshot ' blind in one eye from buckshot ' , two fast driving trips to vet. He took up half the front seat and back then cars had big roomy front seats. He was passing out so I had to try to steady him on the way.

How did it come out with brown eyes?

Not sure. Don't know much about them really. I got her from a buddy and he told me she was an Elkhound. Said something about the curled up tail. She was a great dog.

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back