Protective clothing for bio/chemical/nuke events

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Angie,
The flu is droplet isolation, meaning the particle is larger than 5 microns and will not float in the air. For flu, a surgical/procedural mask is adequate protection. (no sense using the much more expensive N-95- save it for airborne isolation situations!) For anthrax, theoretically only standard precautions are needed because anthrax is not transmitted from human to human (although I would still wear a procedural mask!). As for Ebola, at least an N-95 mask should be worn. Although the CDC says Ebola is not spread via the airborne route (meaning small particles less than 5 microns which can float on the air for hours), I have read a number of studies that contradicts this. In my hospital, anyone who has to deal with Ebola will wear a PAPR (powered air purifying respirator).
I am attaching a guide I created for my organization on bioweapons, including a lot of other information that I hope folks may find helpful.

An important caveat - for a mask to be effective it has to fit correctly. When you put on a surgical mask, be sure to pull it down below your chin and make sure there are no big gaps at the side!

I'm sure I was exposed to all kinds of stuff at the hospital. Tis the nature of the beast that all healthcare workers have to deal with. I was constantly thinking about it b/c I had little kids at home. When I got home from work, I immediately stripped off the scrubs, put them in the laundry, and showered. By the time a threat is identified in a hospital, typically everyone has already been exposed. I remember when someone was diagnosed with TB a few days after they were admitted to a regular room. Of coarse when diagnosed, we then had to move them to a negative pressure isolation room, even though the horse was already out of the barn. We took care of patients with flu all the time and never wore masks at all. It was a rarity that we wore masks and when we did it was usually to protect the patient, not us. I was always taught that the best defense against anything is proper and frequent handwashing and to never touch your face. I also kept my hair short or pulled back and didn't wear jewelry except for my watch and wedding ring. I also kept my nails trimmed short. I was and am amazed at healthcare providers who don't follow those basic routines.....especially the long nails....yuck!

I'm sure I was exposed to all kinds of stuff at the hospital. Tis the nature of the beast that all healthcare workers have to deal with. I was constantly thinking about it b/c I had little kids at home. When I got home from work, I immediately stripped off the scrubs, put them in the laundry, and showered. By the time a threat is identified in a hospital, typically everyone has already been exposed. I remember when someone was diagnosed with TB a few days after they were admitted to a regular room. Of coarse when diagnosed, we then had to move them to a negative pressure isolation room, even though the horse was already out of the barn. We took care of patients with flu all the time and never wore masks at all. It was a rarity that we wore masks and when we did it was usually to protect the patient, not us. I was always taught that the best defense against anything is proper and frequent handwashing and to never touch your face. I also kept my hair short or pulled back and didn't wear jewelry except for my watch and wedding ring. I also kept my nails trimmed short. I was and am amazed at healthcare providers who don't follow those basic routines.....especially the long nails....yuck!
I had surgery at Emory in Atlanta and her nails were very long. She was a real piece of work. A real flirt medical student who always got the male students attention. She also wore high heels and you could hear her coming down the hall. I can't believe her professor allowed it. Anyway guess she did a good job in between floor shows cause I'm still here minus a gall bladder.

Oh, Angie, I'm sorry, I forgot you're a nurse, too! :ghostly:

I absolutely agree with you about the handwashing. We do not allow artificial nails of any kind and all hair (girls and boys) must be "secured behind the head" per our policy unless it is shorter than shoulder length.

We've been trying to keep the horse in the barn (so to speak!) by isolating people based on presenting symptoms and ordered lab tests - so high fever, headache, nuchal rigidity - automatically droplet until bacterial meningitis is ruled out. Likewise, a cavitation on x-ray or an AFB ordered is airborne until TB is ruled out. It has cut our exposures way down, and patients don't mind when we explain it is for their safety as well as the staff's.

The dental assistant that was turning her latex gloves inside out between patients to cut the glove expense in half appreciated the infection control lecture. Her dentist did not. I never went back.

The dental assistant that was turning her latex gloves inside out between patients to cut the glove expense in half appreciated the infection control lecture. Her dentist did not. I never went back.

:eek: I'm hoping you are joking.......but with some of the idiocy I've been seeing lately, I fear you are not. Blech!!!

OK BlueZ (or anyone else with expertise on the israeli masks)......I have a few questions.

I took it out, and tried it on. Everything seems fine, although I did not crack the seal on the filter, but I did get a good press check by placing my hand over where the filter would go and sucking in. There were no leaks and good suction around the entire face. I can certainly see that this would not be comfortable long term and I can also most certainly understand that anyone who is claustrophobic will have a difficult time with one of these masks on. They are hot, visually confining, and will impede air flow with the filter on. Add to all that, the panic of what would most certainly be going on around you in order to need to wear this mask in the first place. I'm glad to know all of these things about the mask ahead of time.

My question is with the drinking tube. Does it have to be attached to the mask or canteen in a safe environment first or can you attach it after going into the potentially unsafe environment?

I have never worn this particular Israeli model however it is likely the same as all US ones..
You do not need to preattach the canteen ahead of time... wear the mask... when u get thirsty put the canteen on.
Within reason this can be even in contamated areas.... the chance something getting on your canteen is minuscule... just use common sense dont stand in the middle of a cloud coming out of a ruptured tank or whatever as u do it.

I have been giving this subject a lot of thought lately I guess due to this recent thread:
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/what-nuke-preps-do-you-keep-on-hand.2008/

. In bootcamp (back in the day), my understanding is that you get one of these masks and chem suits before entering the gas chamber and everyone comes out of there coughing, gasping for breath, with nose, eyes and mouth running with fluids. These are people who know a chemical attack is coming, and still, these masks fail them.

The reason you come out of the gas hut coughing, runny eyes and nose, and often puking is that after you go into the gas hut and do enough vigorous exercise to get breathing hard you remove the mask, open your eyes and talk to the instructor. It’s so you get a full understanding of mask vs no mask. It isn’t equipment failure and it sure wasn’t fun.

Latest posts

Back