Protein balls

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJenner

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I make these for my daughter when she goes to volleyball tournaments. They are a hit every year with the girls, so I usually triple or quadruple the batch to make enough for the whole team.
Easy (pretty healthy) and usually on hand with pantry staples. Just mix all the ingredients, roll them into small bite size balls and refrigerate overnight (or for at least 2 hours). You can also freeze them, they will last up to 3 months.
  • 1 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 2/3 cup toasted shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
  • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

They are a good snack. When DH is working out in the shop I'll bring some out to him since he can't be bothered to come in for lunch (or doesn't want to get all cleaned up to come inside). 😄

Great idea! Let me know how it turns out. You may have to add a bit more honey or peanut butter so they stick together. If the texture is too grainy, you can always leave out the flax seeds

THANK YOU!; I thought I was the only one who struggles with getting the hubby to eat enough!! Mine will come in from the shop and make a sandwich and take it back out! He will snack a bunch thankfully! I have to eat, I love to eat!!
Mine won’t eat all day (he does this at work too) just coffee in the morning and maybe a cookie or leftover pie if it’s available.
Then eats 3 helpings at dinner 😂

Mine won’t eat all day (he does this at work too) just coffee in the morning and maybe a cookie or leftover pie if it’s available.
Oh my word!! I thought I was going to have to "off" mine for being too weird (wouldn't do it)! LOL! Its nice to know there is at least ONE other guy in the world who has this strange eating philosophy!!

Oh my word!! I thought I was going to have to "off" mine for being too weird (wouldn't do it)! LOL! Its nice to know there is at least ONE other guy in the world who has this strange eating philosophy!!
It’s like intermittent fasting on crack or something 😅

You have no idea what a relief this is! Thanks for having a weird guy too!♥♥
Glad I could help out! Haha
I work with another doc like this. He’s all over the place and doesn’t eat all day. I try to feed him but he doesn’t want to have any part of it. Crazy I tell you. I would be so hangry!

Glad I could help out! Haha
I work with another doc like this. He’s all over the place and doesn’t eat all day. I try to feed him but he doesn’t want to have any part of it. Crazy I tell you. I would be so hangry!
Yep, hangry, or the "B" word! Guess hubby should be glad I eat!;😁😉

I have a very similar recipe for trail bars. I don't use any seeds or chocolate chips, but use raisins instead. All the other ingredients are the same.

I put the honey and peanut butter in the microwave for a minute of two just to be able to mix everything a little easier. I think it is a 10" x 10" pan I use to flatten the whole thing out; then cut into squares.

I have a very similar recipe for trail bars. I don't use any seeds or chocolate chips, but use raisins instead. All the other ingredients are the same.

I put the honey and peanut butter in the microwave for a minute of two just to be able to mix everything a little easier. I think it is a 10" x 10" pan I use to flatten the whole thing out; then cut into squares.
When granola bars came out in the 1970's, I always wanted for find a recipe to make my own. I'd bet there are a few out there now.

When granola bars came out in the 1970's, I always wanted for find a recipe to make my own. I'd bet there are a few out there now.

To keep it simple I use 1 cup of everything: Peanut Butter, Honey, Oatmeal, Coconut, Raisins. I heat the peanut butter and honey just to make is more pliable then mix everything together in a bowl and flatten into a pan. It tastes good, but it is a little gooey to eat by hand. I'm sure you could add any kind of dried fruit or chopped nuts. I love the coconut, but I have found it will drive my A1C numbers higher than my area code, so that is optional. It is easy and fast, and tastes pretty good.

Yeah you can do all sorts of tweaks to this to customize it, but gives a good baseline.
Warming up the honey and peanut butter is a great idea too as it gets rather thick and sometimes hard to mix.

I can relate, but as a type 1 diabetic I obviously can't take it to that kind of extreme. I usually have some kind of breakfast, whether it be a low carb high protein cereal, protein bar, toast with PB, whatever. Then I may or may not eat lunch. When I do eat lunch it's usually pretty low carb - beef sticks and peanuts is pretty normal. But at supper time, watch out! A pound of beef or chicken isn't out of the question...

Back