Pruning Fruit Trees

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
This was one of our peach trees, properly pruned from the start. Which is key, it's easiest to shape a tree before it starts bearing fruit, when it's still small. We'd prune so that about 2ft above ground it'd have 3 or 4 main branches. These branches were pruned at 6ft. This ensured all the fruit could be picked standing on the ground.

This particular tree is getting too tall on the left fork. It would have been heavily pruned the next winter. We had 200 trees so pruning was a never ending chore. We'd start pruning in January and finish by the 2nd week of Feb.

Peach Trees a  (7).jpg

I'm interested in this thread. I have a dwarf cherry tree that desperately needs pruning but I have NO idea how to do that. I also don't know when is the best time to prune? I had high hopes for the cherry tree bearing fruit (and it does) but the birds strip it clean before the cherries fully ripen and grow to size.

I watched a video in the past but it wasn't the proper time to prune and now I forgot how to do it. :rolleyes:

I'm interested in this thread. I have a dwarf cherry tree that desperately needs pruning but I have NO idea how to do that. I also don't know when is the best time to prune? I had high hopes for the cherry tree bearing fruit (and it does) but the birds strip it clean before the cherries fully ripen and grow to size.

I watched a video in the past but it wasn't the proper time to prune and now I forgot how to do it. :rolleyes:

Check the extension service website for your area through your state college. They'll have pruning guides for various fruit trees. They'll also have detailed info of various insects, fungus, pests that'll attack your trees and how to deal with them.

The state extension service had all the info we needed to run a 200 tree commercial orchard. :)

I just pruned my apple tree, two lemon trees and two orange trees. My neighbor is a horticulturist and advised that the "sucker" branches, the ones with no fruit and sharp stickers, can be removed anytime of the year. After harvest, you can thin and more importantly, remove the inside branches, to allow air circulation throughout the trees.

https://www.starkbros.com/growing-guide/how-to-grow/fruit-trees/cherry-trees/pruning

Pruning Cherry Trees​

Pruning is a very important part of proper cherry tree care and maintenance; however, many people think the task overwhelming. It doesn’t have to be! Keep these things in mind when you set out to prune your cherry trees:

• Have confidence in knowing that not everyone will prune the exact same way – including the experts.
  • In the best interest of your tree, it is preferable to do some pruning versus no pruning.
  • If an cherry tree is left unpruned, it may not become fruitful, it will not grow as well, and – in some cases – it may not be encouraged to grow at all.
  • There are three main reasons you should prune your cherry tree: its survival, stimulation and shaping.

Survival​

When your cherry tree is dug up from our fields to be shipped to you, and any time a tree is transplanted, the root ball loses many of its fine feeder roots. These hair-like, delicate roots are important to the process of absorbing moisture and nutrients in the soil. Pruning, in this instance, helps balance the top growth of your tree with the root system, giving the roots time to re-establish in your yard to support existing top growth and new growth.

When your bare-root cherry tree arrives from Stark Bro’s, our professionals have already pre-pruned your tree for you. Because of this, you do not need to prune it again at planting time. The only pruning necessary at that time would be to remove any broken or damaged branches and/or roots.

Plan to prune your cherry trees every year during their dormant season. In Zone 6 and north, you should wait until late winter. A good reference book, such as Pruning Made Easy, can be invaluable for providing additional visuals and answering questions you may have during the pruning process.

Stimulation​

In addition to the survival benefits, pruning an cherry tree stimulates stronger, more vigorous growth from the remaining buds. After a single growing season, a cherry tree you prune will be bigger, with stronger branching than a similar, unpruned cherry tree.

Shape and Structure​

Equally as important to the benefits above, your cherry tree needs to be pruned to provide a strongly structured shape. The natural shape a cherry tree takes on is not always the best for its maximum fruit production. Stark Bro’s cherry trees are pruned in the nursery row for proper shaping to get you started and corrective pruning must continue at home. If you keep up with your pruning and shaping each year, it will be a reasonable task mostly involving small, easy-to-heal cuts.

Always prune sweet cherry trees to a “Central Leader” or “Main Leader”. This structure encourages scaffold development, which supports the canopy and keeps the fruit from becoming overexposed to the sun and other elements. Pie/Sour/Tart cherry trees can be pruned to a modified central leader or more of an “Open Center” or “Vase-Shaped” structure. This structure keeps the canopy open to light and air circulation, which helps protect fruit and sustain quality.

third or fourth season

Pruning Tips​

• First dormant season (a year after you plant the tree): Remove the central leader and direct the tree growth toward three or four strong scaffolds. Choose branches that are evenly distributed around the trunk. Maintain about 6 inches of height between the scaffold branches, keeping the lowest branch at least 18 inches from the ground. Leave some small branches on the lower trunk to encourage trunk strength. Prune back scaffold branches to one-third of their length.
  • Second dormant season: Prune back fast-growing new shoots but leave twig growth, which will be future fruit-bearing wood. Choose and encourage additional scaffolds, if needed.
  • Third dormant season: Prune off any broken limbs or crossing branches, but don’t do any more major pruning until the tree has produced a good-sized crop.
  • Mature-tree pruning: Once the basic shape of your cherry tree has been established, make your pruning decisions in line with which branches are bearing fruit. Most trees produce fruit on the previous year’s long stems and on short branches (spurs), each of which will bear fruit for several years. Each year, cut out a portion of the older fruiting wood to keep rejuvenating the tree. Prune back each of last year’s stems to half their length.

Pruning angles​

Narrow, V-shape crotch angles in the limbs are an open invitation to disastrous splitting later on, particularly when your cherry tree is supporting a large fruit crop. For your tree’s branches, choose wide 10 o’clock and 2 o’clock angles.

Pruning to a bud​

Make sharp, clean cuts close enough (about ¼-inch away from the next outward-pointing bud) so you won’t leave a clumsy stub that’s hard to heal over. Stay far enough above the bud so it won’t die back. Slant the cuts and the new growth will develop beautifully.

Cut too far

Every branch has buds pointed in various directions. Because you want vigorous new growth to spread out and away from the center of the tree, make your cut above a bud that’s aimed outward. These are usually located on the underside of the branch. This helps your cherry tree develop a solid structure, keeping it strong and productive for years.

Pruning Just above outward node

Pruning Whips (Unbranched Trees)​

Unbranched cherry trees are ideal if you want more control over which branches are allowed to develop — as you might in certain artful pruning styles like espalier. Prune whips back to 28- to 36-inches above the ground at planting time. After the new branches have grown 3 to 5 inches in length, select a shoot to become the leader and the rest become the tree’s scaffold limbs.

Off-season Pruning​

Sometimes pruning needs to be done even when the season isn’t ideal. If a branch is broken by the wind or by a heavy load of fruit, emergency treatment is necessary. When taking action due to injury, prune to clean up any ragged edges; making a flush cut that leaves no stub.

It does not benefit the cherry tree to wait until dormancy to prune damaged, dead, or diseased limbs or to remove unwanted growth like suckers and watersprouts. These should all be completely removed as soon as you see them.

Fruit-Thinning​

There are several good reasons to thin fruit:

• To reduce limb breakage
  • Increase the size of the remaining fruit
  • Improve fruit color and quality
  • Stimulate floral initiation for next year’s crop
Home gardeners can effectively thin cherry trees by hand if needed. During the spring, cherry trees may will start to drop or abort underripe fruit. This is a natural process that allows the tree to mature the remaining crop load. If not corrected through thinning, cherry trees may bear biennially (fruits only every other year) or bear heavily one year, then bear a comparatively light crop the next year. Thinning may seem counterproductive in theory, but it really is a benefit to your cherry harvest in the long run.

I think that cherry trees are not so easy to keep alive. Maybe it is just where I live.

There was a cherry tree in my yard when I purchased my home. It lasted a few years and then died.

A friend of mine planted a fruit tree when each of her 3 children were born. They planted a cherry tree for the oldest and it is so big that they cannot get the cherries that are in the upper part of the tree. These are sour cherries.

There were three cherry trees planted together in a city park that I would walk by and admire. There was a storm of some sort and those trees did not survive. All three died from the same snow storm. When it is warm one day, maybe in the 80's, and then there is a sudden drop in temperatures in the next day or two, it will kill trees. I lost a peach tree this way.

I understand that sour cherries grow better and live longer than sweet cherries, but maybe that is in Colorado.

I was in a small town in southern Colorado. Someone had planted a big bunch of cherry trees. I have no idea how old the trees were or when they were planted, but about half of them didn't make it. Kind of sad.

Last edited:
I pruned my apple tree and my neighbors afew years ago. We might have gotten 10 apples! And the year before that we got loads. Not sure what i did wrong. Even watching videos and reading books. I think i did it all correctly. So I am not sure.
First year I pruned apple trees I pruned off all the fruiting spurs!

Ben

I pruned my apple tree and my neighbors afew years ago. We might have gotten 10 apples! And the year before that we got loads. Not sure what i did wrong. Even watching videos and reading books. I think i did it all correctly. So I am not sure.

First year I pruned apple trees I pruned off all the fruiting spurs!

Ben
This has always been my concern. How do I know what to remove and how? I mostly don't.

This has always been my concern. How do I know what to remove and how? I mostly don't.
The lion's share of what I know about pruning I learned from Skilcult. This is one of he playlists about pruning.

He talks about the structures that are good.

Many of the points he makes were summarized in the link YOU posted. I will share some of the concepts I use as a guide.

Never cut more than 1/3 of the tree in one year. Prioritise the cuts to keep 2/3 of the tree.

Prune for tree health

Tight crotches are bad and will lead to rot and whole branches falling off. Gently bend if possible to open crotches. Best done when the branches are young. See Skulcult for more insight. Cut off branches to eliminate tight crotches.

Prune water sprouts and suckers.

Look for crossing branches. They rub in the wind and damage then bark inviting insects and infection. Apple trees are bad for this. Decide which branch you want to keep and cut the other. Often the branch growing inward.

Funky limbs get cut.

Consider branches over shadowing others. Choose one and toss the other. See Skilcult for desirable structures for different trees.
@Peanut posted a nice example above.

124656-Peach-Trees-a-7-.jpg

Branches can redirected by pruning. When pruning a branch you want to redirect, find a bud on the branch pointed the way you want the branch to grow. Prune just beyond that bud. The branch will grow that direction.

Every time you make a cut step back and choose your next cut. If you are happy or hit the 1/3 point stop. You can do more next year.

This is a red maple pruned in espalier fashion.

20231218_143316_HDR.jpg

Re: apple fruiting spurs.

They are short 1-2 inch stubby little growths were the fruit develop.

RHS_ADV0000657appfrbud_475979.JPG

Don't cut them.

I hope that helps.

Ben

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back