Public Service Announcement

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzleyette___Adams

Hermit on the mountain
Neighbor
via Imgflip Meme Generator

Don't forget: Elderberry syrup or tincture is nature's answer to Tamiflu! Like the anti-flu drug, elderberry works best when you take it before full-blown symptoms develop or as soon as you know that you have been exposed.

It is available at Walmart and every health food store. (Not exactly cheap, but it is super easy to grow and make your own.)

Not a bad idea to take it every day during flu season. Then ramp up the dosage/frequency as needed. It is good for your eyes and immune system too.

Be well, y'all.

Elderberry at the store is as good as it gets for most folks... the go to! I recommend it. Elderberry will stop the flu virus from replicating. Even if you get the flu it will not get any worse from the moment you start taking elderberry.

Tamiflu is a poor substitute for a good antiviral. Shikimic acid is used to make Tamiflu... the inner bark of sweetgum trees is loaded with shikimic acid, my last choice but one to remember if you have no other choice.

I'm lucky, there are about 30 excellent antivirals within 100 yards of my front door. Could be the reason I haven't had the flu in a decade.

Good reminder @Grizzleyette___Adams ;)

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Don't forget: Elderberry syrup or tincture is nature's answer to Tamiflu! Like the anti-flu drug, elderberry works best when you take it before full-blown symptoms develop or as soon as you know that you have been exposed.

It is available at Walmart and every health food store. (Not exactly cheap, but it is super easy to grow and make your own.)

Not a bad idea to take it every day during flu season. Then ramp up the dosage/frequency as needed. It is good for your eyes and immune system too.

Be well, y'all.

Thank you. I need to get some. I also need to grow some elderberries!

Pssst...in Walmart, the elderberry syrup is in the in the cold & flu section, where the cough syrups are.

Amazon also has it. Last year, and the year before, the world's demand for the stuff outstripped the supply and NONE could be had anywhere, for any price that I could find. Yikes!

I stocked up on the syrup this past summer, and also froze some fresh berries for making both syrup and alcoholic tinctures this winter.

I may experiment to see which of the two is more potent against the cold and flu viruses... Or, I just may combine the two for a a super-syrup!

Anyone out there do this?

I discovered the elderberry bushs out here last year. They grow well and wild and lots of them. I picked some to make some jam but I didn't have enough, I thought about freezing them until I could get more the next weekend and just couldn't get my act together. This year I plan on a better game plan. I kept a small bag in the freezer for myself and the rest I shared with the animals. I was luckly to score a jar of jam someone else made and a buddie knows a person who makes elderberry wine along with other local fruit wines. Ive been helping her to collect wine bottles for about 6 months now in the hopes we can trade for a bottle of it when its ready. :)

So what do you do with the pine needles? I've got lots of those.

Well, I am not sure of the best way to extract the shikimic acid from them, but I enjoy making a deliciously refreshing drink by steeping (not boiling) a teaspoon of freshly cut pine needles in a mug of just-boiled-hot water for a few minutes, sweetened with honey or stevia.

It is incredibly healthful, and the reasons why are explained in the link below. Also at the link is the the caution,

There are 20 known toxic varieties of pine trees, so do thorough research or acquire pine needles from a trained herbalist or natural medicine practitioner. Some of the most well known toxic varieties include the ponderosa pine, balsam fir, lodgepole and Monterey pines. Avoid using these – and other varieties – when brewing your tea.

There are also quite a few trees that are commonly called “pine trees”, but are in fact toxic imitators, such as the English Yew, Norfolk Island pine and the Yew pine. These should never be used to brew pine needle tea.

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/herbs-and-spices/pine-needle-tea.html

I've got a bunch of White Pines I planted to border our property. Wonder how they would work?

Very, VERY well! You have one of the most valuable of all pines. Here, take a look: https://pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Pinus+strobus

Thats not all; there is a TON of info out there about this awesome tree... You will be amazed at how valuable your trees are. While its uses are widely varied, here is just a glimpse of the medicinal uses alone: https://www.google.com/search?q=whi...0j69i57j0l4.7130j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Very, VERY well! You have one of the most valuable of all pines. Here, take a look: https://pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Pinus+strobus

Thats not all; there is a TON of info out there about this awesome tree... You will be amazed at how valuable your trees are. While its uses are widely varied, here is just a glimpse of the medicinal uses alone: https://www.google.com/search?q=whi...0j69i57j0l4.7130j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Cool, I'll have to give a try.
When we bought the property it was a open pasture. The only trees was a small patch on the back hillside. I have a friend who worked for the state forestry service and he told me about a yearly sale they hold. I wanted some type of border/screen on at least a couple of side, so I bought 500 seedlings each of the first 2 years we had the place. Planted them 10' apart and 3 rows 10' apart staggared. First 2-3 years I lost several, but the ones left have grown together and you can't hardly get between them now. Some of them at 40+ feet tall and have a base that's 2'+ in diameter. They have done exactly what I wanted them to. In a few more years, I could cut a few and have them sawed and have some beautiful lumber.

Bumping this thread for the upcoming cold and flu season. Stock up, y'all.

Got my flu shot last month. Haven't read anything about this version's effectiveness in the southern hemisphere.

Latest posts

Back