Puzzles

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haertig

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I like the "Einstein Riddle" type of puzzles. You can generate them here, specifying settings that make them easy or insane in difficulty.

http://new.mensus.net/brain/logic.shtml
Here's an example:

Puzzle1.png

Yeah, MENSA material I ain't, but I bet none of then can skin a rabbit either!

I love logic puzzles. But how do you mark the ones that you know are not correct? I guess I could print it but I'd rather do it online.

Reactions: Neb
If you have narrowed things down to know that the yellow house is either house number 3 or house number 4, you can click to put a checkmark in BOTH columns. This will turn the respective squares YELLOW, which indicates it is one or the other, but you don't know exactly which one yet.

Is that what you were asking? You asked how to mark the ones that are NOT of the specific attribute, but in the example below, the yellow indicates the ones that COULD BE the specific attribute, so by inference, the squares that are NOT YELLOW are the ones that COULD NOT be the specific attribute. This is backwards from exactly what you asked, but it accomplishes the same goal. It's confusing the way I stated all this, but it is the best I could do to explain what I meant...

TwoChecks.png

Yeah. that's what I wondering about. There's another site with logic puzzles I like and it allows you to right click to mark selections that are impossible/incorrect. I was hoping for something similar, but I can make do with the yellow possibility markings. 😊

One thing I have found when working some of this type of puzzle - when you get into complex ones, there comes a time when direct interpretation of the clues does not provide the solution. You have to assume something, and then prove your assumption correct or incorrect. If you end up proving your assumption incorrect, then you have to go back and remove all the markings you made based on that (now proven incorrect) assumption. I don't know how to do this kind of "assumption marking" at this online website. When I have done these complex ones in the past, I have printed the puzzle out on paper and used pencil and eraser and some marking strategy I dream up to solve them.

The website appears to let you mark "knowns", and "possibilities", but not "assumptions that need to be proven, and their trickle-down marks". At least I can't find how to do assumptions.

One thing I have found when working some of this type of puzzle - when you get into complex ones, there comes a time when direct interpretation of the clues does not provide the solution. You have to assume something, and then prove your assumption correct or incorrect. If you end up proving your assumption incorrect, then you have to go back and remove all the markings you made based on that (now proven incorrect) assumption. I don't know how to do this kind of "assumption marking" at this online website. When I have done these complex ones in the past, I have printed the puzzle out on paper and used pencil and eraser and some marking strategy I dream up to solve them.

The website appears to let you mark "knowns", and "possibilities", but not "assumptions that need to be proven, and their trickle-down marks". At least I can't find how to do assumptions.
I used matrix puzzles like these on my classes year’s ago. Gifted and talented loved them. Not as difficult as these but they loved the logic

Holy Cow! It'd take me a month of Sundays to figure out that second puzzle... and all the days between, lol. :oops:

I have time on my hands, but not THAT much time, lol... ;)

Thanks for sharing, for those who are interested anyways. I suppose if I was laid up in bed I would be entertained by these puzzles. I know I have done them in the past, on a much smaller scale. I just don't have the time or patience now. I used to enjoy playing the Mine Sweeper game on the computer, where there were a bunch of squares and when you clicked on one it had a number between 0 and 4, meaning that square touched no mines, or 1 mine or 2 or 3 or 4. You had to deduce where you would click next based on simple math and odds and luck. Click on the wrong square and you lost, sometime your very first click was a mine and game over. I don't even have the patience or time to play that game anymore. Maybe one day. =-)

If anyone's interested, this is the site I use for logic puzzles. There's a bunch to pick from and you can choose the difficulty level.

https://www.puzzle-nonograms.com/
I enjoy Tents, Battleships, Pipes, Stitches and Aquarium. I probably played Aquarium the most. 😆

Latest posts

Back