Quality Customer service

Discussion in 'Country Living Questions' started by The Innkeeper, Sep 4, 2019.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Sep 4, 2019 #1

The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

Opposite of a rant- a kudo. We use Kidde brand smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. The CO detectors have an oddball 8v proprietary battery in the event of power failure. The battery on one died on the weekend, I contacted their customer service by email looking for a replacement battery. They are sending me a new detector instead because apparently the batteries should be good for ten years and this one was only 5 years old. I am not affiliated with them in any way just thought that such service deserved a shout out.

Patchouli, jimLE, LadyLocust and 13 others like this.
  2. Sep 4, 2019 #2

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

Old Cowpoke Neighbor HCL Supporter

Hired a tree man to drop 5 trees. In the process a 6th tree was exposed and be a problem in the near future. I ask him while he and the crane was here....yes, took 5 minutes.

When I settled with him I asked how much extra for the 6th tree? No charge.

3. Sep 5, 2019 #3

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

Hired Gun Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

That's good news. Especially since my smoke and CO detectors are also Kidde brand.

4. Sep 5, 2019 #4

The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper

We have used their stuff for years with never a problem so I had no idea what to expect for service. No guarantees that it will happen next time, but this time they were on the ball

5. Sep 5, 2019 #5

Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Malinois' are awesome. Neighbor

Always good news when you hear about good CS. It's gotten so bad in the last ten years that I am surprised when I get good service. Something is wrong with that.

6. Sep 5, 2019 #6

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Your location in the United States can make a big difference when it comes to face to face customer service. An instructor of mine in Washington, DC was gone to a conference in Phoenix one weekend. She came back raving about how helpful people were. A classmate spoke up and said, "Anywhere outside to Washington, DC has better customer service than they do here."

7. Sep 5, 2019 #7

Caribou

Caribou

Caribou

Time traveler Neighbor HCL Supporter

I have 6 of those Kidde smoke alarms spread around the house. Everyone of them has alarmed from dust, usually in the middle of the night, in the least dusty home I've ever lived in. They didn't want to replace them and insisted that I should have contacted them before deactivating them. I asked them if their customer service was open at 0200 to deal with my problems. They replace my detectors.

Don't try to blow the dust out with your breath, that sets them into riot mode. I finally got canned air and that works. It doesn't get me back to sleep but the detector shuts up.

8. Sep 5, 2019 #8

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

It is good to reconize the good ones too Inn, glad you did.:I agree::thumbs:

9. Sep 5, 2019 #9

Jake229

Jake229

Jake229

Awesome Friend Neighbor

We decided last week that we needed to upgrade our BBQ grill. After extensive research we found someone locally who actually sold both brands of pellet grills. We walked in on a Wednesday afternoon and was eagerly greeted by a young lady young enough to be our daughter. I specifically asked about the first brand of grill and she quickly said that they only had one model as “everyone they sold came back”. She then began to show us the other brand of grill, it’s features and benefits. She began at the most economical grill and showed us two other grills after asking about our usage. After telling her that we grilled 4 to 5 nights per week, during all seasons, she showed us a mid level grill and suggested a blanket to allow for use I. The winter. Then we seen the top of the line grill that was actually insulated, no blanket needed. Now keep in mind that grill was a few hundred more than the other grill. She quickly threw in a cover and bag of pellets, free assembly, bur; in and delivery. We purchased the grill without hesitation. It was 100.00 less than online and they “pretested” the grill to ensure proper operation before making delivery. Oh yes, they extended the warranty by a year too. What was impressive is that she answered each question I had, didn’t have to get anyone to find answers and gave extras without getting permission. Made us happy that we purchased locally. My bride posted a positive message on her Facebook account, and the owners asked for a picture of us next to the grill for a review online. Just when I think customer service is dead, something good like this happens. God Bless America!

10. Sep 5, 2019 #10

The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper

I used to have that problem with several different brands of detectors but so far, other than this battery noproblems in five years, but you know what they say ... wait long enough...

11. Sep 5, 2019 #11

dademoss

dademoss

dademoss

Jack of all trades. Neighbor HCL Supporter

KIDDE had an extinguisher recall a couple years back, and when I checked I had 2 that needed replaced. I had 1A 5BC size, they replaced them with 2A 10 BC, a nice step up :)

12. Sep 6, 2019 #12

Caribou

Caribou

Caribou

Time traveler Neighbor HCL Supporter

In under 2 years I've had problems with all of them. I got a couple of replacement extinguishers through their recall also. their service is fine but I'm less than happy with this model of detectors.

13. Sep 6, 2019 #13

phideaux

phideaux

phideaux

Spectator of Life Neighbor

Went to local hardware store to get some bell wire to run a pushbutton for the wife to open garage door at a location she desired.

All they had was a 100 ft roll at $16. All I need is 25 ft at most. So the guy behind the counter walked over and opened the spool, cranked off ,25ft , for $5.
    That's good customer service.

Jim

14. Sep 6, 2019 #14

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

We get good customer service from people in person.
    But the power and phone company's can be testy.

15. Sep 6, 2019 #15

Sewingcreations15

Sewingcreations15

Sewingcreations15

A while ago we purchased a new juicer from Harvey Norman that we used for less than 5 minutes before it seized. I don't know whether it was the look on my face when I plonked it on the returns desk or not but when they guy we purchased it off came up I simple said four words "heap of do do" and he instantly exchanged it for the next model up with no extra charge. Now that is customer service.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    Patchouli, phideaux, Sentry18 and 2 others like this.
  16. Sep 6, 2019 #16

The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper

Maybe they sense when you have been talking to a government employee or social justice warrior or their ilk and your slow simmer is beginning to smoulder.that could set them off :)

17. Sep 7, 2019 #17

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

Hired Gun Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

Several years ago my wife had our master bath remodeled. The floor and entire shower were tiled. Just over 3 years later we started noticing the same of the grout around the floor tile was starting to crumble and one tile had become loose. She called the cell phone original contractor we used and explained the situation, asking about getting the tile re-grouted. The guy shows up, takes a look, and asks us to go buy some heavy duty grout from a home supply store. We thought it was odd but picked it up anyway. The next weekend he shows up and spends hours working on the floor. He not only did not charge us, it turns out he had retired 18 months earlier and only came out because he was not going to have his name associated with shoddy work. We mailed him a check anyway, but he sent it back.