Question About Oral Bone Graph

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Anyone here had this done?
My 31 y.o. granddaughter needs to have bone graph for her upper front teeth bone.
Its called, Osseous Frenectomy or guided tissue regeneration.
It is real expensive and they saw braces first then bone graph which is also not cheap.

So I called Emory Oral paradontal clincic to see if they have a better way and less expensive. If she qualifies since she makes ok money but also has her home payment etc. .

There was never any mention of braces.

I've been in the healthcare industry for 30 years and have worked for nearly 20 hospitals but never at Emory. They do have a good reputation though.

For me, we just did it in the periodontist's office. It isn't a hard or long procedure. I think he did it for 4 of my teeth and I was in-and-out in about an hour or 2.

Do an internet search for "pig protein for teeth" or "Emdogain". There's a lot of different sources for the grafting material including pigs, cows or even human cadavers. I think the other option is to graft it out of the roof of the patient's mouth. I didn't take that option as it complicates the procedure and if I recall correctly, he told me it'll feel like you have a pizza burn in your mouth for some time.

Here's the first article from the internet search.
http://www.healthmantra.com/ypb/oct 01/news.htm

At different times I had two teeth extracted and the socket ground out and a bone graft to fill the socket. My insurance covers $2000/yr and I wind up paying several hundred per year. I do a bone graft one insurance year, the implant the next year, and the crown the third insurance year. My second implant will happen later this year. The bone graft and implant are done in different insurance years so it can take from one year to two years to complete the process.

The graft was so hard that the implant procedure took twice as long as expected. I was pleased with that as the stronger the bone the less likely that there will be complications.

At different times I had two teeth extracted and the socket ground out and a bone graft to fill the socket. My insurance covers $2000/yr and I wind up paying several hundred per year. I do a bone graft one insurance year, the implant the next year, and the crown the third insurance year. My second implant will happen later this year. The bone graft and implant are done in different insurance years so it can take from one year to two years to complete the process.

The graft was so hard that the implant procedure took twice as long as expected. I was pleased with that as the stronger the bone the less likely that there will be complications.

Thanks Car for info and glad your pleased with treatment.

There was never any mention of braces.

I've been in the healthcare industry for 30 years and have worked for nearly 20 hospitals but never at Emory. They do have a good reputation though.

For me, we just did it in the periodontist's office. It isn't a hard or long procedure. I think he did it for 4 of my teeth and I was in-and-out in about an hour or 2.

Do an internet search for "pig protein for teeth" or "Emdogain". There's a lot of different sources for the grafting material including pigs, cows or even human cadavers. I think the other option is to graft it out of the roof of the patient's mouth. I didn't take that option as it complicates the procedure and if I recall correctly, he told me it'll feel like you have a pizza burn in your mouth for some time.

Here's the first article from the internet search.
http://www.healthmantra.com/ypb/oct 01/news.htm

Zoom, I didn't think the braces sounded right. Of course I don't know all about it yet, till she gets off work. She is just afraid so I'm trying to do some of the investigating for her since she works in busy office. Thanks fro artiucla too. Will read that when I'm not up and down.

I've had one tooth done to prepare me for a bridge. Long, hard, but necessary to prevent bone loss after a pulled tooth. I'm glad I had it done. I'm getting ready to make an appt for the bridge $2500.00!! They used cadaver bone for me.

I've had one tooth done to prepare me for a bridge. Long, hard, but necessary to prevent bone loss after a pulled tooth. I'm glad I had it done. I'm getting ready to make an appt for the bridge $2500.00!! They used cadaver bone for me.

Thanks Nanny, I replied to you in quote but I didn't do it right.

I had that done twice, about 5 years apart. That's about how long it lasts. I went in and had my upper and lower left, then when the stitches needed to come out, they did the right upper and lower.
I don't use pain pills, and it was very painful for a few days afterwards. I also hated the feeling of having my palate numbed. It's hard to swallow when it's numbed. I had to concentrate on my breathing and try not to freak out just to swallow.

I'm waiting fro her to call me back to see if she got into clinic, it may be a lot cheaper, just hope the care is as good. But Emory use to be one of the best medical univeristies. Of course things change?

It all depends on the reason for the surgery. If it’s bone grafting for periodontal attachment loss ( ie... teeth are getting loose) then it’s much different than grafting for reasons such as an implant. Similar procedures, but much different expectations in the outcome. Grafting around teeth is not going to bring the bone levels back to 100%. It’s done to help stabilize the teeth and buy time. If bone loss is occurring because of the forces her teeth put on one another, then braces (orthodontics) are necessary. If she’s biting poorely on her back teeth ( on doesn’t have any, or her jaws don’t line up correctly) and she is putting a lot of forces on her front teeth, the teeth will flair out and bone loss will occur faster than with periodontal disease alone.

Emory is reputable, but the discount in services means residents working on her in a graduate program. These are dentists with licenses that are going through an additional 3 years of schooling after dental school to become periodontists. If you are treated by an oral surgeon that’s an additional 6 years - they aren’t likely to be involved unless she needs significant bone grafting or corrective jaw surgery. Most periodontal bone grafting is minor and done under local anesthesia or with min8mal sedation.

It all depends on the reason for the surgery. If it’s bone grafting for periodontal attachment loss ( ie... teeth are getting loose) then it’s much different than grafting for reasons such as an implant. Similar procedures, but much different expectations in the outcome. Grafting around teeth is not going to bring the bone levels back to 100%. It’s done to help stabilize the teeth and buy time. If bone loss is occurring because of the forces her teeth put on one another, then braces (orthodontics) are necessary. If she’s biting poorely on her back teeth ( on doesn’t have any, or her jaws don’t line up correctly) and she is putting a lot of forces on her front teeth, the teeth will flair out and bone loss will occur faster than with periodontal disease alone.

Emory is reputable, but the discount in services means residents working on her in a graduate program. These are dentists with licenses that are going through an additional 3 years of schooling after dental school to become periodontists. If you are treated by an oral surgeon that’s an additional 6 years - they aren’t likely to be involved unless she needs significant bone grafting or corrective jaw surgery. Most periodontal bone grafting is minor and done under local anesthesia or with min8mal sedation.

Thank You DrFace, from what I understand she has a small space between her front teeth that needs a bone graph. No periodontal disease or loose teeth.
She has set up another appt for second opinion . GTR ..guided tissue regeneration.

On the Mexico thing she said out of question she could get that much time off work. Thanks for all replies about that though.

Her choice of bone doners her own means more surgery, pig or cow bone.

Latest posts

Back