Question from a Newbie

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question: Should I take a course or simply study for the Tech and General levels of the test? Could I jump straight to general if I so desire?

Thanks,

Jonny
Others can correct me...

Do you want the knowledge or just the license?

Books are available that cover all of the questions on the tests. Get the current books since the questions Change.

Ben

Others can correct me...

Books are available that cover all of the questions on the tests. Get the current books since the questions Change.

Ben
A mix of both. I do better learning things on my own (with the help of others one on one), so my preference is to simply get my license and connect with someone I know to teach me rather than signing up for an actual class.

Jonny

A mix of both. I do better learning things on my own (with the help of others one on one), so my preference is to simply get my license and connect with someone I know to teach me rather than signing up for an actual class.

Jonny
Then start with the books.

Ben

There are some sites that have study guides for all 3 levels of testing, with practice test. Once you are scoring 75-80% you are ready to test.
You can take the general, and extra, test if so inclined when you pass your tech level test.
Hooking up with an experienced "Elmer" is the best way to gain knowledge fast. Mine still teaches me stuff 20+ years later.

I used hamstudy.org. When you take the test, you start with Tech but you're allowed to immediately take General and then Extra if you want, all in the same session.

Others can correct me...

Ben
For me, most of the knowledge came AFTER passing my General test and I got on the air.

I took a class, a very good one. Then easily passed Technician. I would have easily passed the test without the class as well. I learned a lot in class, even though my degree is in Electrical Engineering and much of what I learned (the technical parts) was review. When I took the Technician test they told me to go ahead and take the General test as well. I had not read any of the General material, never studied, nothing. And I came up one answer short of passing. That was just by remembering some of my EE training from the 70's, some logical guessing, and luck. If I had lucked out on one more question, I would have my General now. But that wasn't to be.

I started the General class and it was really good. My club has training classes that are very well done. Not just the material from the books, but a lot of hands on useful instruction that you don't see on the test. Alas, covid hit, and my General class was cancelled about two weeks in. They have not rescheduled it (it is now 1-1/2 years since the class was cancelled). One of the main instructors is now a covid long-hauler and barely gets up out of a chair anymore these days.

I am thinking about reading the book and using hamstudy.org to get my General, then take the class (with no pressure) once they offer it again. Currently I have no need for General since I only have two 2m/70cm handhelds. I don't have a base station or a ham shack. That may come later, or it may not. So if you're just going to be using handhelds, Technician gives you all the privileges you need. I do see General in my future. Just because. But I really don't see going on to Extra until I have a ham shack and a HF base station set up. I can see being licensed at one level up from my current hardware capabilities. But being licensed at two levels up is overkill IMHO.

Latest posts

Back