Question, Nevada - how to make money?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parascuba

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I start afraid I make stupid mistakes after reading many posts here. I don't see any Nevada. A few months ago I bought 10 acres of land in Nevada. I'm planning to start a homestead. I need to find a way how to make money without applying for the job. I see there's a town 15 min from the property but only 50 people live there. one bank, one post office, one gas station one grocery store. That's all. Probably all jobs are full. The nearest police station is 2 hours away. I wonder If I could ... Nah It's would be a bad idea. The land is totally flat. At least the picture looks very flat.

A friend of mine suggests Apiary (beehive) Because They seem easy to do. I told him Yeah good idea, But there's no flower on the parcel. How long before we can harvest them? I'll not be going to eat paper while we wait for them ready to harvest. If we raise, How do we sell them? The town nearest is small. if we made 2000 and there are only 50 people maybe will be sold like 5 or 10.

I know don't think negatively. Think positive!

Parascuba,
You are going to have a rough ride. Water is going to be necessary for life and without a well you will need to travel to get it. No water for animals or plants means you are going to have to grow something that can flourish on what nature provides. Start by contacting the university extension office to see what is available. Check with the county about the possibility of putting a well in and the quality of water you can expect. Ask the county about predators in the area. Feral dogs are not uncommon and can be dangerous. Your home can be made of adobe or straw bales with thick walls to control the heat but you should look into geo-thermal grids to let the ground cool your home in the summer. Photo voltaic (solar panels) are going to be expensive but a lot cheaper than a generator running 10 to 12 hours a day. If the wind blows at more than 10 mph then that is another option for power that can be tied into the charge controller for your solar power. Batteries are a big part of both power systems and will be an expense that will need replacing at 5 to 10 year intervals and will need water for maintenance unless you opt for Lithium batteries.

As far as making a living in the middle of nowhere with no population to support you it will be tough. Find a skill that the area needs and fill that need. Be great at it and become friends with everyone you can. Rural communities are very close so a bit hard to break into but once you are accepted it can be a big help.

A friend of mine suggests Apiary (beehive) Because They seem easy to do. I told him Yeah good idea, But there's no flower on the parcel. How long before we can harvest them? I'll not be going to eat paper while we wait for them ready to harvest. If we raise, How do we sell them? The town nearest is small. if we made 2000 and there are only 50 people maybe will be sold like 5 or 10.

Greeting from West Michigan!
Bees typically forage out to about 2 miles but they have been known to go a lot farther so you don't have to have anything on your property.

There's a handful of ways to generate revenue from beekeeping.

Obviously, the first one is harvesting and selling honey. Depending on your location you may or may not need a license and/or a dedicated honey house.
There's a pretty huge money investment in this.

Next up is raising NUC's IE starter package is for a beehive. Around here they go for about $150 each.
You typically can get two Nuc's from a hive. Just an FYI, I have driven 50 miles to pick up a NUC.

Then there is raising queens for the hive. This is a very narrow market.
Generally speaking, beekeeping is not overly complicated but it's also not for the faint of heart.

If you are really looking to generate revenue with very little capital.....
Do-it-yourself class is a good place to look, do you have a skill any skill that somebody would pay to learn?

Nevada is a large state so it will very much depend on where your property is located. If you bought flat desert land far way from everything did it come with an existing well and water rights? You need water rights to legally pump water from a well. Do the neighboring parcels have homes? Can you post a picture or a link to the advertisement for parcels in the area?
We need more information to offer realistic advice.

I went back and looked at the intro photo you posted. It had "Elko" on it. That's just about dead center of the great basin. If you are anywhere near there the first consideration is water.

Making plans in a desert without knowing how much water you have is pointless, nothing more than guessing.

What was the rainfall amount last year? Average over the last 10 years? County records are kept, the folks at the county seat should have that info as well as the state. Once you know how much water is available, daily, weekly, monthly and on a yearly basis you have half a plan.

For the other half...

Once you know how much water is available then you need to understand the soil you have...

I ran a search on "NV soil types" and found this site...

USDA
Natural Resources Conservation Service
Nevada

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/main/nv/soils/
Knowing how much water you have and the type of your soil will tell you exactly what is and what is not possible on your property. Will it support a few veggies? grass for livestock? etc...

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Are you say I chose the wrong land? Should I have to buy Arizona or New Mexico? There's a water fill station 15 min from proptery. Here more pictures. You're right I should research more. The reason I want to grab this. beautiful view of the mountain.

Attachments

• pilot-valley-ranchland-elko-elko-county-nevada-264283-j77pbp-xxl.jpg
    pilot-valley-ranchland-elko-elko-county-nevada-264283-j77pbp-xxl.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 78
  • pilot-valley-ranchland-elko-elko-county-nevada-264283-jo6r5l-xxl.jpg
    pilot-valley-ranchland-elko-elko-county-nevada-264283-jo6r5l-xxl.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 77
  • pilot-valley-ranchland-elko-elko-county-nevada-264283-rcx6xe-xxl.jpg
    pilot-valley-ranchland-elko-elko-county-nevada-264283-rcx6xe-xxl.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 77
  • pilot-valley-ranchland-elko-elko-county-nevada-264283-uevoqj-xxl.jpg
    pilot-valley-ranchland-elko-elko-county-nevada-264283-uevoqj-xxl.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 87
  • DJI_0682-01.jpg
    DJI_0682-01.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 123
Are you say I chose the wrong land? Should I have to buy Arizona or New Mexico? There's a water fill station 15 min from proptery. Here more pictures. You're right I should research more. The reason I want to grab this. beautiful view of the mountain.

I thought you already bought it.

Jim

My most worry is water. I was thinking of getting myself 1 or 2 of IBC Totes and water haul fill it up to get started. Also doing aquaponic. I has seen youtube other day use IBC totes. I figure could be good for start. Or I come up with worst idea?

I start afraid I make stupid mistakes after reading many posts here. I don't see any Nevada. A few months ago I bought 10 acres of land in Nevada. I'm planning to start a homestead. I need to find a way how to make money without applying for the job. I see there's a town 15 min from the property but only 50 people live there. one bank, one post office, one gas station one grocery store. That's all. Probably all jobs are full. The nearest police station is 2 hours away. I wonder If I could ... Nah It's would be a bad idea. The land is totally flat. At least the picture looks very flat.

Talk to some of the locals closest to your property,they can probably answer most your questions.

I am trying not to be negative but I think your choices set you on a difficult path. You didn't necessarily make a mistake but in my opinion you didn't make it easy. That isn't to say you won't be successful and completely happy. There is a reason the population is only 50. I don't see any trees so firewood for heat may be scarce. Wood heat is probably the preference for off grid. It is good that water is only 15 minutes away. I don't know how much water is needed for aquaponics everyone I ever saw doing it had plentiful water. I would imagine there are mostly sunny days for good solar output. You will definitely need a pickup truck or SUV with a trailer or several trailer s. 1 for water, 1 for trash, wood e.t.c.

Not at all, only you can decide that. If the only reason you bought it was the view then you've already scored.

I merely pointed out it would be wise to ascertain all the natural resources on the property, water and soil type being foremost.

Wishing you the best and things may turn out ok .

Last edited:
41 going be 42
When I turned 40 I told people that I still didn't know what I was going to do when I grew up. I mentioned in your intro that northern Nevada is great for wind generators, almost every place we saw, outside of communities, had wind generators, that area is also has a high clear sun day number, so solar is also a good choice. What's also amazing is how much water is out on these deserts, the area of Rye Patch reservoir where we go gold detecting has many springs and some areas the soil is soaked even in the middle of summer, look around your property, you might just find a spring, there is mountains to the south of Elko and Adobe Range mountains to your north. I have found in our travels to off the freeway areas that there is actually a lot more surface water than here in Oregon, driving on dirt roads into little mountain valleys we've seen plum thickets, elderberry thickets and little streams that had fish in them, some little draw with forests of juniper an small valleys covered with grass, free range cattle do very well and there are antelope, big deer and more elk than you can believe and chukar are everywhere. Had I known that Nevada had all this, when we were younger, I may have strongly considered moving there, the only negative would be the underground nuclear testing areas to the south.

Is that a stream cutting through the NW corner of your property?

No matter what you settle on doing setting up a homestead of any type takes some up front capital.

Since you were displaced due to Covid, are you eligible for retraining?

Web-site development could be a way to fund the homestead.

Can you get grazing rights to the BLM land ?

Gird up your loins

Ben

When I turned 40 I told people that I still didn't know what I was going to do when I grew up. I mentioned in your intro that northern Nevada is great for wind generators, almost every place we saw, outside of communities, had wind generators, that area is also has a high clear sun day number, so solar is also a good choice. What's also amazing is how much water is out on these deserts, the area of Rye Patch reservoir where we go gold detecting has many springs and some areas the soil is soaked even in the middle of summer, look around your property, you might just find a spring, there are mountains to the south of Elko and Adobe Range mountains to your north. I have found in our travels to off the freeway areas that there is actually a lot more surface water than here in Oregon, driving on dirt roads into little mountain valleys we've seen plum thickets, elderberry thickets, and little streams that had fish in them, some little draw with forests of juniper small valleys covered with grass, free-range cattle do very well and there are antelope, big deer, and more elk than you can believe and chukar are everywhere. Had I known that Nevada had all this when we were younger, I may have strongly considered moving there, the only negative would be the underground nuclear testing areas to the south.
I really knew about this stuff when I was 20's but oh well. I'm forced to gave up everything in cities since COIVD took my job away and infected me then heavy billing on hospital cost everything I have. I rather have land than the homeless living on street. If you have read my intro post. I'm living with my mother in a rent house. The landlord doesn't like me. Long story. The landlord said if my mother passes away landlord wants me to be gone too. not allowed to take over the rental. I knew that jerk landlord since I was 12. Right now my mother is 70's So I better get land asap and start paying. by the time she was gone. I'll sell everything whatever mother left me. and move to Nevada. Hopeful there's money to get started.

You say wind generator and/or solar is also a good choice. Do you mean to make money out of them? Sell the electricity? As far I know there's no electric line to that property. How do I sell them?

One friend of mine makes a joke "Wow you're getting land in Nevada! Why not build a Vault 101!" He refers to a game called fallout. Vault 101 is a bomb shelter that holds a few hundred people living underground. My friend's silly. I know if I try to build that Game company Bethseda could sue me for the copyright thing. Plus they cost tons I can't afford

Last edited:
From what I've seen of northern Nevada, there just isn't that many jobs available, about the only thing I could see is mining and possibly ranch or farming jobs. Buy the way there are places being sold that are or were under earth berm "vaults", I've checked out a few on line and some are actually a pretty good idea, thing is, we figure God put us where we are for a reason and it's just lately showing some of what that is, our neighbors within a mile strip are coming together as a cohesive group to look out for one an other and we stay in close contact, telling of things that are happening around us, for example, one of our group just heard of a day light home invasion a few miles toward town and we've stepped up our watchfulness.

I mentioned solar for your home use. My guess is the same for wind generator suggestion. I am not aware of any ways to make money from electricity as a average person. I suppose my assumption or maybe you said you would be off grid.

How is your health now? You will need to do many physical tasks building, digging, hauling wood. It sounds like you have some time. Get in shape learn the skills you will need. If you can visit and meet some locals that may help as well.

This is "out there" so may not be of interest, but I'll say it anyway. If it doesn't apply, that's OK.

You don't mention what you intend to live in. On suggestion, an RV. If you're really in the middle of nowhere, I doubt anyone would care about zoning when it comes to living fulltime in an RV.

If you need income, no one says you have to work year round. There are jobs that cater to fulltime RVers that might give you some infusions of cash. One example would be seasonal work at Amazon warehouses. I've known of people who would work a few months at the Christmas holiday and make enough to (frugally) live the rest of the year. There are some other possibilities ranging from guarding a gate to working at a beet harvest operation to walking gas lines, and others. Those generally require you to be somewhere other than at your home base in Nevada but would be potential income. The RV only allows you to go where the work is and then come back home when you're done. Some might depend on how much money you really need to live on.

In a desert location, at least in some places, there is typically some rain, not much, but some. I've seen YouTube videos about people who have set up large areas where they would catch what little rainwater happens. You did mention water available a few miles down the road. (RV living tends to be pretty frugal with water anyway, and some waste water might even be suitable for use watering certain things you might be trying to grow, maybe not everything, but some things.)

Solar panels can get you some electricity. And some things can be done without much electricity. (Gas refrigeration is one. The Amish that I grew up around often had gas refrigerators and freezers.) I don't know how hot it gets where you are going but air conditioning may be required. But... you don't have to air condition a 4,000 square ft home to have someplace comfortable. The smaller and more insulated the place you have to have cool for comfort, the less it'll cost to make it happen. I'm thinking of the cab of an over the road type truck. They're not allowed to idle for long anymore so they often have battery powered AC.

Lots of things are possible. Not always easy. Not always as practical as we'd like. Don't know if any of that is even a little helpful.

Good luck!

Making money in a rural setting is always a challenge. Folks just live day to day and they don't do much.
Most places if you are a handy-man you can find work but the folks in rural settings are used to making due or doing it themselves.

Not for residential use, at least not here in NM.
I know that Nevada and Utah both require the ownership of water rights prior to building a home or irrigating crops on your property. If you bought property but it did not specifically include the water rights you will not be approved to build or irrigate. A share of water rights, depending on area and availability could run anywhere between $2000.00 to upwards of $20,000.00.
If you are trying to buy water rights in a district that has a lot of residential growth you may find that developers have purchased most of the available water rights because they have to have rights to water before they can build a new subdivision. In rural areas many big ranch and farm outfits/families have purchased extra water rights so they can raise more cattle and farm more fields, and that has reduced the availability and increased the prices as well.

You really need to travel to Nevada and look at the property you are considering and look around the entire area and look around the closest town. I have lived in Nevada, and I have driven around most of the state. Do you know why there are no trees or bushes or 'real' plants in any of those pictures? There is no where near enough rain fall for anything other than desert grasses and sage brush to grow. And the rain they do get is in the spring and maybe during monsoon season in the summer so the grasses grow a foot or two then dry up and die until the next significant rainfall 6 months later. There are no houses or building in those photos because no one can expect to live there without unlimited amounts of money available. The dirt is basically a fine sand. It would take a lot of irrigation water and a lot of fertilizer to get anything other than desert grass to grow. And if you did obtain water rights and paid to have a well drilled (maybe another $10k to $20k or more to drill a well) and set up a large solar array to run the water pump the summers are so hot and dry if you miss a water cycle it will probably kill off everything you may have started growing. And, based on my experience both in Nevada and Utah, if you start growing something like vegetables or fruit or shade trees you better consider setting up shade for everything so the sun doesn't burn it to death before it has a chance to establish a root system. Oh, and it gets windy there, like heavy winds with blowing sand. When the wind gusts during those wind storms the grains of sand that pelt your face may be the size of a kernel of corn.

I would love to tell you it's a great idea and wish you well, but you have mentioned you are not rich so barring some sort of miracle climate event to make the desert into lush prairie you need to serious educate yourself on the area and research water and wells and farming in the area before you invest any money.

And, odds are rural areas in Arizona, New Mexico, Utah and Colorado will have have similar climate and challanges.

Good advice but Parascuba already purchased the land and then asked for advice.
Ugh, I knew that, but when I quoted and focused on his more recent post it was worded as if he was still considering.

Either way, he will need to ensure he has water rights, first and foremost. Then he needs to look into having a well drilled.

My most worry is water. I was thinking of getting myself 1 or 2 of IBC Totes and water haul fill it up to get started. Also doing aquaponic. I has seen youtube other day use IBC totes. I figure could be good for start. Or I come up with worst idea?

If you go with the IBC totes for bringing water you could make it work. If you go with aquaponics you could start small and keep adding to your system as time and money allows. BUT, you will need shade, at minimum the solar shade fabric but it gets very windy on those dry lake beds and they don't like snow or hail collecting on top of them. Maybe consider building a carport type structure with clear panel roofing and then when needed you can put the solar shades on top in the summer months. If you consider solar panels you might consider installing them about 8 feet off the ground so they would give you a shaded area.

I looked at your pictures again and using the description of the picture I found the realtor add for your property, and your location on google maps. It isn't as desolate as I imagined, and you will have a few neighbors within easy driving distance. 35 miles to West Wendover, which is on the Nevada/Utah border. I haven't been to Wendover yet but there are plenty of hotels and casinos so that means restaurants and buffets.
https://goo.gl/maps/PNgSzn61uCRLK9cN6
You can park a trailer or RV on the property but "legally" you can only have it there 28 days a year unless you install a septic system. It says you can drill a well, but I don't see any mention to the property including water rights so you will need to research that information.

If you are OK at working it and making it your own I think you did OK.

One more point, I noticed the property is at about 5000' elevation. It will be quite chilly in the winters when storms pass by, but in between the storm systems, when the sun is out you may have 40* daytime high temps. The nights will be cold though so if you park a trailer or RV be sure it is either a 4-season capable, or put sheeting around the bottom to keep the wind out from under the floor, or both.

Good news, it looks like the mountains at the Utah border are only about 3 miles away. Great for hiking, deer hunting, and cooler summertime temperatures. You could park your trailer or RV in the mountains during the hot summer months and it would be an easy drive to your property to do work during the day. Or, do work at your property during the night and sleep during the heat of the day on the mountains.

Latest posts

Back