Question, Nevada - how to make money?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are calling it 'recreational' because it is mostly bayou. (water)
But you are on the right track.
water? mmm I'm scuba diver I wonder if I could find any pirate sunk there mmmm Gold come to papa! mmm Nah

yes landlord push me around very annoying

Take it a little slower. Nothing wrong with sleeping in your car. My great grandmother slept in a covered wagon. You can shower at truck stops. Idling for heat on really cold days is cheaper than a hotel. If you rush into this at some point you will not be happy with your decision. Take your time and you will find that place.

water? mmm I'm scuba diver I wonder if I could find any pirate sunk there mmmm Gold come to papa! mmm Nah

Just outta curiosity, any chance you do underwater welding? Have heard there is some pretty decent money in that. But I would guess you'd probably be looking at Florida or maybe the Mobile, AL area, not exactly the western desert.

Just something that came to mind. I have a nephew who went to welding school and is currently working in Florida, I think. Makes really good money. Have another friend who's a pipe fitter and took a job in southern GA. He's making some pretty decent money, too.

May not be anything even of remote interest, no problem if it's not. Good luck!

Just outta curiosity, any chance you do underwater welding? Have heard there is some pretty decent money in that. But I would guess you'd probably be looking at Florida or maybe the Mobile, AL area, not exactly the western desert.

Just something that came to mind. I have a nephew who went to welding school and is currently working in Florida, I think. Makes really good money. Have another friend who's a pipe fitter and took a job in southern GA. He's making some pretty decent money, too.

May not be anything even of remote interest, no problem if it's not. Good luck!
I wanted to but deaf are not allowed to underwater welding. I tried. They denied. I know they make good pay.

I wanted to but deaf are not allowed

Oh, my, I'm so sorry. Didn't know.

Are you totally deaf? Or just very limited? Wondered if something like a cochlear implant was even a possibility. (?)

My dad had a hard time not long before he died. Almost completely deaf for a while. He was able to get some hearing back, though, with some hearing aids. I remember some of his frustration.

Oh, my, I'm so sorry. Didn't know.

Are you totally deaf? Or just very limited? Wondered if something like a cochlear implant was even a possibility. (?)

My dad had a hard time not long before he died. Almost completely deaf for a while. He was able to get some hearing back, though, with some hearing aids. I remember some of his frustration.
I was telling The Princess jus last night...

Imagine be nearly deaf and getting by by lip reading in the day of everyone wearing masks.

There was one young cashier that was soft spoken and refused to let me see her mouth as she spoke. Never did figure what she was telling me.

I hate masks.

Ben

I hate masks.

You're not alone!

I am very fortunate to frequent a tiny little grocery store in the a neighboring tiny little town. A few of them wear masks but most never do. And despite all of the scare tactics used even out here in the middle of nowhere, none of them ever got sick. Of the people that shop there, a few wear masks. Most of us do not. It's not a big deal. Wear 'em if you wanna, don't wear 'em if you don't wanna, no one will say anything either way. I like that. Wish it were that laid back everywhere.

For times when I am compelled to wear one, I typically have a clear full face shield that I'll put on. Seems to make the mask nazis happy, and I can still breathe reasonably well. Still steams up but that's mostly because I need to trim the beard. Not time to trim it, though, it's still too cold.

I back out from buying Nevada after reading your post. I already lost some money. They refund 70% of what I paid for. Since Nov 2020 I start paying. Better than 3 or 4 years. Right now I'm still hunting for good land. I might post from time to time show what they offer and hope to get good suggestion from you guys

Whatever you buy, go see it in person! Don't trust what a someone says online. Look at the land and talk to the county clerks office about restrictions.

I was telling The Princess jus last night...

Imagine be nearly deaf and getting by by lip reading in the day of everyone wearing masks.

There was one young cashier that was soft spoken and refused to let me see her mouth as she spoke. Never did figure what she was telling me.

I hate masks.

Ben
My buddy at work is pretty much deaf, wears hearing aids, but still don't help him much. Mask kills any understanding he can get. We just drop them at work when we are talking.

wow, one word of the deaf. now everyone talks about hearing aid and implant. Let me tell you guys about hearing aid and cochlear implant.

P.S. Don't say "I'm sorry" once you learn if they're deaf. 99.9% of us are happy with being deaf. Should I say "I'm sorry because you're hearing?" Also, I strongly suggest avoiding using the word "Hearing Imparing" I know none of you have said it yet. Because it's an offense word to deaf culture like calling black people with N-word. I wanted to be ahead of the time before the accident says it in down the road... Anyway,

I born deaf. I'm CODA too... CODA = Child of deaf adult (my parent is deaf as well) There's about 40 deaf in my family. Yeah "wow" It's no big deal for me. I have met everyone and told them I have 40 deaf in my family. they like WOWWWWW!!!! Should I say "WOW!!!!" if you told me you have a hundred hearing in your family? mmm. It's no big deal. Hearing Aid does nothing. It's a tool. It helps to ....notice there's noise (vibration) going on around you. I hear NOTHING. From pin drop to a rocket engine. I hear nothing. I only can felt vibration. I could notice something out of the original. For example,

When I was 16 or 17 years old. I smell something like gas or fuse. It's a strange smell. My mother asked me if I smell something like gas. I do agree it smell like something gas leak around in the house. So I suggested It would be safer if we 9-1-1 to have firefighters come to check. So I called 9-1-1 Firefighter rushed arrived at my parent's house. They said "you can't smell gas they're impossible to smell," My father told them just use that device to just make sure. At first, they refuse. "waste of time" They like shaking their head "no" and walk out of the house and head for the fire station. It was upset my father really badly. He wanted to make sure there's no gas leak. We tried calling the gas company but they're closed at night time. So my family decides to stay in a motel for a night. The next day, My mother took me and my brother back to the house to get a fresh of clothes and back bag for school. As soon I enter the house. I could smell gas really STRONG. My mother told me "just call 9-1-1 anyway!" So I called. Firefighter rushed arrive house. and find it's the same us. they seen not happy about time. they like "you again?" They use CB or something to radio and won't do a damn thing. A police car arrived. The firefighter want has the police fine my parent for making a false report because gas is impossible to smell. I remember there was big drama going on with firefighters, police men, and my parent. I just butt in "why not just use the device and show them there's nothing and arrest my parent get over with it. I need to go to school!" (i write down the paper and show them) My mother said "I agree with my son. go scan in there. if there none. I'll happy to go jail with you" Firefighter looks upset or "sigh" he slowly walks to the truck and grabs the device. He was not in hurries walk to house then put those stick in the house. The device says the house is full of fuel and urgh need to open all window also shut the gas off ASAP. Fireman like "oh? I don't know you could smell it" I urge my parent to sue firefighters for not do their job at first call. my parent refuses to sue. "I forgive them. they just don't understand deaf" To me, it's no excuse. If even they cant smell. just scan anyway to make sure.

For phone. We have a device called TTY that when I call 9-1-1. There's a device for the phone put on top of the device to type in... But nowadays we have a new technology called Video Phone it demands high-speed internet. Nobody uses TTY anymore.

Back to subjects... A Hearing Aid is a tool like a shovel. A shovel helps you to dig dirt much faster than dig dirt with a bare hand. Without a shovel, you still can dig with your hand. So Hearing Aid, it helps you to able hear... IF YOU CAN HEAR first place. I born completely deaf. They still push my parent to force me to wear a hearing aid at school. "It's a big benefit for kids to learn how it sounds or talking by the time they reach adulthood they will able to hear with hearing aids" That's full of bologna. That's something Alexander Graham Bell keep telling everyone about it. Alexander Graham Bell is very opposed for anyone to learn sign language. he pushes so hard to force deaf read lip and depend on hearing at all cost. He got sign language banned in many states in the USA. More than anything Bell hated sign language. Today a major part of the deaf community views Bell as a monster. He pushed for a law against deaf people breeding. He invented the telephone to please his deaf fiancee. If the deaf people in Bell's life had been weeded out, he never would have invented the telephone. (don't believe me? Google up on Bell) When he was on his deathbed, she (wife) was every bit as afraid of living without him. Holding onto his hand. his wife pleaded "don't leave me" Bell didn't have the strength to speak. He signed the word "No"

Oh boy, I went off subject again... Back to the subject. Hearing aid, I was forced to wear them for school. with few deaf students. Some of them able to hear because they have hearing parents. I have 100% deaf parents so it doesn't work on me. All hearing aid gives me a hell of a headache. I purposely turn them off. break it, purposely allow battery drained overnight at school have recharge station. I loose the power plug. It happens again and again and again. They decide to try to charge, my parent, for the break it repeatedly. My parent told them "Don't force him to wear it if he doesn't want to" And I finally could rid them for good. Other deaf kids say "NOT FAIR!!" HAHAHA!!

Cochlear Implant that something a doctor will recommend and pushy has their parent implanted kid with a cochlear implant. It will have a big benefit. Again, You need to able to hear first place to make it work. If you're 100% deaf. all you will get noise with a hell of a headache. True it doesn't help just benefit for the doctor to get amount $$$$$ to get a parent to agree to implant them in the first place. Cochlear implants have many disbenefits. Once you got implanted. You CANNOT back out and take it out. It's impossible. If you force your kid to get it at like 5 years old. He/She might happy, might not happy but suffer from headaches because parents say so. The school will make sure you wear it all time. As they reach adulthood. he/she decide to stop using it. They can do that. But they cant take the implant out. So.. I'm thankful my parent resist the doctor's recommendation for an implant. If I get an implant. I will NEVER able to play football when I was in high school. I will NEVER able to scuba diving. I love scuba so much since I learn about it when I was 12 years old. I wanted scuba so much until I reach 18. I was finally able to take a scuba class after I graduated from high school. My parent against it. Worst about it, I will NEVER able to ride an airplane. Not even paramotor. If even I have an implant and stop using it. I will never able to do any of that stuff.

I know one young man... well now he's an older man like my age. I met him during an open house at NTID. (national technical institute for the deaf) He is 100% deaf. I learn he's from the same state as I grew up. I just intro myself "Hello my name is Earl I'm from Michigan too" He looks puzzled. I saw him wear those Cochlear Implants. I respect his choice. I was not going to say anything about it. He was with his parent who strongly supports Alexander Graham Bell on banned sign language. His mother just shouts at me. I have no idea what she says. She Blah blah blah blah blah and pointing at me as she seems angry blah blah blah blah blah. So I back out. During lunchtime. I was sitting at the table with my family and some new friends whom I met at an open house. All of us use sign language to chatting. Cruel mother's kid, He just approaches me with paper and note "can you teach me to sign language?" I show all friend note. All of us welcome him and start teaching him alphabets and some sign language. He picks up sign language really fast and passive. By the time his mother walk and saw his son sign language. She flips out she screams at all of us. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and try forced drag his kid away from us. I never see him again. Until next year I went to NTID for Architecture. And he's there. He says he uses grants and his work earnings to pay for NTID his parent refuses to help. He said he don't want to see his mother again because she forces him to not use sign language for whole his life. He told me all stories of how horror his mother did to him for try use sign language. - Fast forward, He graduated NTID and move to North Carolina. We still keep in touch. He told me. he refuses to see his mother until she learns sign language. He refuses to wear a Cochlear device and wishes he could lose those implants. He wanted to visit the UK but can't ride an airplane. He has to book a cruise line to get there. But a cruise costs tons than an airplane. So he never gets to visit the UK. Also, he says scuba diving looks fun he wanted to try. But he can't because of the implant.

.... I have typing too much. But I'll let it go Enjoy your reading... Oh yeah, here picture. That's me in 2004 I took a private pilot lesson. I may be deaf. I can fly airplane!
Earl04.jpg

PS... I even went to space!!
I'm going Space!.jpg

Just kidding, I went to space camp back in 2009. I always wanted to do that when I was a kid. my parent says "no you cant go because they don't let deaf." By the time I reach adult. I am finally able to get a chance to go there with a group of the deaf who want to attend space camp. There's a group for kids and adults.

Last edited:
PS... I even went to space!!
View attachment 59199
Just kidding, I went to space camp back in 2009. I always wanted to do that when I was a kid. my parent says "no you cant go because they don't let deaf." By the time I reach adult. I am finally able to get a chance to go there with a group of the deaf who want to attend space camp. There's a group for kids and adults.
Just scuba diving without sharks... lol

I too dive and man us it peaceful.

wow, one word of the deaf. now everyone talks about hearing aid and implant. Let me tell you guys about hearing aid and cochlear implant.

P.S. Don't say "I'm sorry" once you learn if they're deaf. 99.9% of us are happy with being deaf. Should I say "I'm sorry because you're hearing?" Also, I strongly suggest avoiding using the word "Hearing Imparing" I know none of you have said it yet. Because it's an offense word to deaf culture like calling black people with N-word. I wanted to be ahead of the time before the accident says it in down the road... Anyway,

I born deaf. I'm CODA too... CODA = Child of deaf adult (my parent is deaf as well) There's about 40 deaf in my family. Yeah "wow" It's no big deal for me. I have met everyone and told them I have 40 deaf in my family. they like WOWWWWW!!!! Should I say "WOW!!!!" if you told me you have a hundred hearing in your family? mmm. It's no big deal. Hearing Aid does nothing. It's a tool. It helps to ....notice there's noise (vibration) going on around you. I hear NOTHING. From pin drop to a rocket engine. I hear nothing. I only can felt vibration. I could notice something out of the original. For example,

When I was 16 or 17 years old. I smell something like gas or fuse. It's a strange smell. My mother asked me if I smell something like gas. I do agree it smell like something gas leak around in the house. So I suggested It would be safer if we 9-1-1 to have firefighters come to check. So I called 9-1-1 Firefighter rushed arrived at my parent's house. They said "you can't smell gas they're impossible to smell," My father told them just use that device to just make sure. At first, they refuse. "waste of time" They like shaking their head "no" and walk out of the house and head for the fire station. It was upset my father really badly. He wanted to make sure there's no gas leak. We tried calling the gas company but they're closed at night time. So my family decides to stay in a motel for a night. The next day, My mother took me and my brother back to the house to get a fresh of clothes and back bag for school. As soon I enter the house. I could smell gas really STRONG. My mother told me "just call 9-1-1 anyway!" So I called. Firefighter rushed arrive house. and find it's the same us. they seen not happy about time. they like "you again?" They use CB or something to radio and won't do a damn thing. A police car arrived. The firefighter want has the police fine my parent for making a false report because gas is impossible to smell. I remember there was big drama going on with firefighters, police men, and my parent. I just butt in "why not just use the device and show them there's nothing and arrest my parent get over with it. I need to go to school!" (i write down the paper and show them) My mother said "I agree with my son. go scan in there. if there none. I'll happy to go jail with you" Firefighter looks upset or "sigh" he slowly walks to the truck and grabs the device. He was not in hurries walk to house then put those stick in the house. The device says the house is full of fuel and urgh need to open all window also shut the gas off ASAP. Fireman like "oh? I don't know you could smell it" I urge my parent to sue firefighters for not do their job at first call. my parent refuses to sue. "I forgive them. they just don't understand deaf" To me, it's no excuse. If even they cant smell. just scan anyway to make sure.

For phone. We have a device called TTY that when I call 9-1-1. There's a device for the phone put on top of the device to type in... But nowadays we have a new technology called Video Phone it demands high-speed internet. Nobody uses TTY anymore.

Back to subjects... A Hearing Aid is a tool like a shovel. A shovel helps you to dig dirt much faster than dig dirt with a bare hand. Without a shovel, you still can dig with your hand. So Hearing Aid, it helps you to able hear... IF YOU CAN HEAR first place. I born completely deaf. They still push my parent to force me to wear a hearing aid at school. "It's a big benefit for kids to learn how it sounds or talking by the time they reach adulthood they will able to hear with hearing aids" That's full of bologna. That's something Alexander Graham Bell keep telling everyone about it. Alexander Graham Bell is very opposed for anyone to learn sign language. he pushes so hard to force deaf read lip and depend on hearing at all cost. He got sign language banned in many states in the USA. More than anything Bell hated sign language. Today a major part of the deaf community views Bell as a monster. He pushed for a law against deaf people breeding. He invented the telephone to please his deaf fiancee. If the deaf people in Bell's life had been weeded out, he never would have invented the telephone. (don't believe me? Google up on Bell) When he was on his deathbed, she (wife) was every bit as afraid of living without him. Holding onto his hand. his wife pleaded "don't leave me" Bell didn't have the strength to speak. He signed the word "No"

Oh boy, I went off subject again... Back to the subject. Hearing aid, I was forced to wear them for school. with few deaf students. Some of them able to hear because they have hearing parents. I have 100% deaf parents so it doesn't work on me. All hearing aid gives me a hell of a headache. I purposely turn them off. break it, purposely allow battery drained overnight at school have recharge station. I loose the power plug. It happens again and again and again. They decide to try to charge, my parent, for the break it repeatedly. My parent told them "Don't force him to wear it if he doesn't want to" And I finally could rid them for good. Other deaf kids say "NOT FAIR!!" HAHAHA!!

Cochlear Implant that something a doctor will recommend and pushy has their parent implanted kid with a cochlear implant. It will have a big benefit. Again, You need to able to hear first place to make it work. If you're 100% deaf. all you will get noise with a hell of a headache. True it doesn't help just benefit for the doctor to get amount $$$$$ to get a parent to agree to implant them in the first place. Cochlear implants have many disbenefits. Once you got implanted. You CANNOT back out and take it out. It's impossible. If you force your kid to get it at like 5 years old. He/She might happy, might not happy but suffer from headaches because parents say so. The school will make sure you wear it all time. As they reach adulthood. he/she decide to stop using it. They can do that. But they cant take the implant out. So.. I'm thankful my parent resist the doctor's recommendation for an implant. If I get an implant. I will NEVER able to play football when I was in high school. I will NEVER able to scuba diving. I love scuba so much since I learn about it when I was 12 years old. I wanted scuba so much until I reach 18. I was finally able to take a scuba class after I graduated from high school. My parent against it. Worst about it, I will NEVER able to ride an airplane. Not even paramotor. If even I have an implant and stop using it. I will never able to do any of that stuff.

I know one young man... well now he's an older man like my age. I met him during an open house at NTID. (national technical institute for the deaf) He is 100% deaf. I learn he's from the same state as I grew up. I just intro myself "Hello my name is Earl I'm from Michigan too" He looks puzzled. I saw him wear those Cochlear Implants. I respect his choice. I was not going to say anything about it. He was with his parent who strongly supports Alexander Graham Bell on banned sign language. His mother just shouts at me. I have no idea what she says. She Blah blah blah blah blah and pointing at me as she seems angry blah blah blah blah blah. So I back out. During lunchtime. I was sitting at the table with my family and some new friends whom I met at an open house. All of us use sign language to chatting. Cruel mother's kid, He just approaches me with paper and note "can you teach me to sign language?" I show all friend note. All of us welcome him and start teaching him alphabets and some sign language. He picks up sign language really fast and passive. By the time his mother walk and saw his son sign language. She flips out she screams at all of us. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and try forced drag his kid away from us. I never see him again. Until next year I went to NTID for Architecture. And he's there. He says he uses grants and his work earnings to pay for NTID his parent refuses to help. He said he don't want to see his mother again because she forces him to not use sign language for whole his life. He told me all stories of how horror his mother did

.... I have typing too much. But I'll let it go Enjoy your reading... Oh yeah, here picture. That's me in 2004 I took a private pilot lesson. I may be deaf. I can fly airplane!
View attachment 59198
While your condition is more extreme, I can partially relate.

I was born with a submucus cleft-palete that resulted in almost continual inner ear infections until I was about 8. The infections damaged both ears and the audio nerve in my left was removed due to disease. I did not learn to talk until I was 5 and then only with help of speach therapy.

I can hear whistles and pops that I put together with lip reading to understand what people are saying.

So I am not as deaf as you. I can still hear something. Hearing aids did not help. I never heard stereo. I used to watch freinds listen to records but never understood what was up with that. The Navy would not let me serve on subs because I can not equalize pressure in my ears.

So I am simply saying that I can partially relate.

Hopefully you have found that your situation has made you a stronger person.

Ben

Two of our children had hearing problems when they were little, but surgery cleared it up. Our son had lost over half his hearing by age 4, and had, and still has the keenest sense of smell I've ever seen, so I relate to your gas leak story.
Granddaughter's good friend has deaf parents. The friend said she learned sign language before she learned to speak, and she is hearing.

It was good to reread this thread.
One of my takeaways was jobs. They pay bills, but we are stuck in a cycle of working for a boss, certain conditions, etc.
Not everyone has the ability to have their own business, but there are many ways that people can live without working for someone else. This is where developing skills become more important. There are so many things and ways that people can work without clocking in somewhere. Take whatever skills you have and make them work for you. If you can make things with wood, make things from wood to sell. If you can sew, sew things to sell. If you cook, cook as a cottage industry. People are limited by their own imaginations.

I know someone who supports herself by sewing and selling items on Etsy. Fabric in stores has gotten more expensive, but there are people giving away sewing items.
I know a man who retired, bought himself a used Shopsmith and makes all kinds of things out of wood that he sells at various fairs. Where does he get his wood? From people who have had trees taken down and other wood that is being given away. He makes wooden bowls on the lathe. He makes all kinds of other wooden items.

Today, raising chickens and selling baby chicks and eggs could certain augment an income.

Boy am I late to this thread. the best advice so far is don't buy sight unseen. Put money away every month till you can pay cash. Banks don't like lending on bare land. That means paying 10% interest to a private seller. If you have anything on your land it will grow legs. You can have a septic tank, concrete cistern, or other immovable item. If you have a plastic tank, generator, or other valuable item it will walk away if you don't live there.

Bees are fine but you only get paid once a year when you harvest your honey in the fall. If you sell bees and queens you can get paid in the spring as well. Beeswax and beeswax products is another source of income. If a bee has to travel seven or more miles they will do it. Bees die when their wings wear out so having a close source is important to honey production and hive health. Some farmers will pay you to drop hives on their land for part of the year. I had a hive of mine stolen one winter.

A friend of mine bought a truck. He would leave Alaska every year and drive long haul loads all around the lower 48. When the weather turned bad he'd head home. His wife took care of things here. I don't know if truck driving would be good for you but at this late date I'm posting as much for future readers as I am for you. There are lots of seasonal jobs or jobs that can be seasonal. I went to boiler school when I was 50. I needed a job in an area where there are no jobs, like 50% unemployment. I went to school for a couple months and then opened my own business. It is never too late to take up another trade.

Latest posts

Back