Questions about experiences with publishing with Amazon.com

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzleyette___Adams

Hermit on the mountain
Neighbor
I realize this is coming a bit late, but....

1) Amazon's policies are not all that clear on digital content disbursement, especially where the KDP program is involved.

2) As far as I'm aware, as long as the full-version ebook that is published on Amazon is not available anywhere else for download or purchase, you should be in the clear. For instance my first book Officer of the Watch started as a series of forum posts on the old Prepared Society page. That line of posts got over 50,000 views and I eventually collected the posts, edited them, and added a few chapters here and there to create my first official book "Officer of the Watch" which I published on Amazon in the KDP program. That was a few years back and I have not had any problems since. I think the key is to leave some content out of the version you post here for free so that it is substantively different from the copy available for purchase, but don't quote me on that.

3) Take all of the above with a grain of salt since, as I said, Amazon is not the most transparent company when it comes to their policies.

Also, for what it's worth, Amazon is such a monstrous company that unless your work gains wild popularity and garners hundreds of thousands of downloads, there's a good chance you'll fly under their radar even if you do violate a policy here and there. My policy is when in doubt publish and ask for forgiveness if it comes to that. Hasn't steered me wrong yet...

Thank you very much for your refreshing voice of reason. You nailed it when you said that Amazon is not the most transparent company when it comes to their policies. It is beyond maddening to decipher!

Back