Questions About Jon Boat Set Up

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago when we used to duck and goose hunt we had an 18' Jon boat with a 120hp Evinrude motor on it. We built a wooden box for the gas tank and used styrofoam for the inner liner. Our boat was very heavy due to all the drop doors we had on it and the camoflague, heat, stove and room for 3. Yes it was a little tight but so much better than what we used for years. Our stove ran off of propane. Hunting marshes can be frustrating because of the reeds and weeds that grow in the marsh areas. Our stove also ran off a propane tank. Our biggest problem was clogging up the motor intake with mud and vegetation. Our boat was a full 5' wide so it was a good sized boat. We never used a steering wheel or any cables and just ran the boat with the motor shaft. The transom should be fine as they tend to rate them lighter than what they will take however you can re-inforce the transom should you desire, which we did. We did it with plywood. Good luck on your project.

Tommy

Hey Tommy wonder if this is your old boat? :dunno: Lots of coincidences going on these days.:confused:
Ours is 5' in center too. We have all kinds of camping supplies including a 2 burner Coleman Stove with bottles of propane. We have 2 inch pressure treated plywood on transom and we added another and painted it.:Thankyou:

@Meerkat , I thought of y'all when I saw this!
View attachment 5009

Well we haven't made it to the water yet, but is funny.:thumbs up:

Correction!

Capacity is 1170 lb.s NOT 1700 lb.s . And the engine is 1972 65 HP Evinrude. boat year is correct 1978.

18 ' L , 7' at rim top W 6' floor W. Now I think this is all correct.
Are you sure it's 65 HP and not 6.5 HP? I'm with LastO, isn't that and awful big engine for a small boat?

Last edited:
If you bought our boat it would be pretty old now. It has been over 20 years since we used it. My hunting partner passed away 2 years ago. But at the time it was kind of considered a major set up over some of the other boats. We worked hard all summer building that boat and we did a lot of work on it just to get it ready. Our drop doors were made out of aluminum so we would peek over the top of them until a flock would come by and then lower the doors all the way when a flock would come in. Harder to bring ducks in than geese because the head goose would talk to you all the way and even after landing on the marsh. One time I was calling a flock of geese in and worked hard getting them to land on water but when they came in, a flock of green head mallards came with them. Not a shot was fired and I asked the guys if they are going to shoot. They said no because it was so neat to see the sun glimmer off their backs and watch them land. We did however video cam the incident and would play it during our Ducks Unlimited banquets. One rule we always observed was no "water swatting" the birds. They had to be in the air flying. I believe that my buddies son still has that tape showing them come in. It was a wonderful film and it was a time I still cherish to this day.

Tommy

P.S. Our boat had 18 gauge aluminum doors that fell vertically and had a platform on the back for the dogs to wait and shake off after they retrieved the game. We would turn the propane heater on and you could virtually hunt in a light jacket or sweatshirt while it was still cold and windy outside.

If you bought our boat it would be pretty old now. It has been over 20 years since we used it. My hunting partner passed away 2 years ago. But at the time it was kind of considered a major set up over some of the other boats. We worked hard all summer building that boat and we did a lot of work on it just to get it ready. Our drop doors were made out of aluminum so we would peek over the top of them until a flock would come by and then lower the doors all the way when a flock would come in. Harder to bring ducks in than geese because the head goose would talk to you all the way and even after landing on the marsh. One time I was calling a flock of geese in and worked hard getting them to land on water but when they came in, a flock of green head mallards came with them. Not a shot was fired and I asked the guys if they are going to shoot. They said no because it was so neat to see the sun glimmer off their backs and watch them land. We did however video cam the incident and would play it during our Ducks Unlimited banquets. One rule we always observed was no "water swatting" the birds. They had to be in the air flying. I believe that my buddies son still has that tape showing them come in. It was a wonderful film and it was a time I still cherish to this day.

Tommy

P.S. Our boat had 18 gauge aluminum doors that fell vertically and had a platform on the back for the dogs to wait and shake off after they retrieved the game. We would turn the propane heater on and you could virtually hunt in a light jacket or sweatshirt while it was still cold and windy outside.

Tommy this boat came from Houston Texas . Son brought it here from there about 10 or 12 years ago . We have been hitting on it now and then but decided to go ahead and finish it late last year.
Sounds like you had a lot of enjoyment hunting those ducks. And :thumbs up: on the mallards.

This week we ordered a boat seat, 2 11 type life vest, pedastal for seat, and few other gadgets. Today we bought plywood and carpet for floor.

Meercat,

Sounds like to are coming along just fine with your boat. We didn't carpet ours because marsh hunting drags so much crap in when you are in the marsh. Lots of reeds, weeds, and seedlings. When we finished our trips we would unload everything and then hose it all out with a garden hose. There is a lot of work afterwards when you are marsh hunting. Another thing was cottontail weeds. The seeds would get all over and stick to everything. Now on the back of my truck I laid down a 1/2" of plywood and used indoor/outdoor carpeting to cover the bed floor. In Az. we have more dust than we do any rain so every so often I have to clean it out and hose the carpeting and let the sun dry it out. Keep me informed on how you are progressing. Sounds like you are doing a good job. Keep it up!!!!

Tommy

Meercat,

Sounds like to are coming along just fine with your boat. We didn't carpet ours because marsh hunting drags so much crap in when you are in the marsh. Lots of reeds, weeds, and seedlings. When we finished our trips we would unload everything and then hose it all out with a garden hose. There is a lot of work afterwards when you are marsh hunting. Another thing was cottontail weeds. The seeds would get all over and stick to everything. Now on the back of my truck I laid down a 1/2" of plywood and used indoor/outdoor carpeting to cover the bed floor. In Az. we have more dust than we do any rain so every so often I have to clean it out and hose the carpeting and let the sun dry it out. Keep me informed on how you are progressing. Sounds like you are doing a good job. Keep it up!!!!

Tommy

Slowed back on boat hubby needed a break, but it is ready to float already. Just needs carpeting put in. Maybe put it in water in a couple days.

Found out the motor is a 1972 65 HP Evinrude. My goodness hubby is amazing to get it started and running so good. Even if it blows tomorrow it is amazing he got it this far.
And I'm also very glad I got a troling motor for backup and a couple paddles.
Lots of storms yesterday and more coming through today so no carpet yet.

Hubby has been getting lots of advice and help from a site that is not much more than yaght owners, million dollar boats and such.Mostly about parts and mechnics.:cool:
I told him whatever you do don't put up a pic of your antique jon boat, it will make them feel like a fool for even discussing the boat with you.:D

anyway getting close to ready for water. Will put up pic soon.

Another part came in mail today. A bilge pump. It is coming along one piece at a time.
Carpets in.

Reminds me of this song but we payed for all ours.

Last edited:
Stripped it down to metal Super Slick Steel Flex 2000, tried an proven for 20 years on air boats in Everglades etc,. Restoration Aluminum green paint from water line and inside boat.
Closed cell 2 inch styrofoam inbetween ribs.
3x16s plywood painted both sides. And indoor outdoor green carpet. { I don't like green colors on boats, but it was cheaper than the beige I wanted.]. Lots lots more done it is now water ready.
Will take more pics of inside once we get peeps settled in.

C2CkHUP.jpg

Stripped it down to metal Super Slick Steel Flex 2000, tried an proven for 20 years on air boats in Everglades etc,. Restoration Aluminum green paint from water line and inside boat.
Closed cell 2 inch styrofoam inbetween ribs.
3x16s plywood painted both sides. And indoor outdoor green carpet. { I don't like green colors on boats, but it was cheaper than the beige I wanted.]. Lots lots more done it is now water ready.
Will take more pics of inside once we get peeps settled in.

C2CkHUP.jpg

Looking very good!
flag_blk6_1.gif

Ahoy Matey!

It took him 10 years to get it ready but this time he finished it. A little here and there.
He mentioned side rails, I mentioned hell. It is a trick to put off water test ,don't know? Subject dropped. My pontoons will go if side rails do.

FbCkJty.jpg

I put a few things in the boat and mentioning the potty was the last straw for hubby.:waiting:
He said " where are we going to sit,there is no room for us with all this &^)%# you loaded up". :sarcasm:
He said " who the hell sets a table on a little jon boat boat ".
Well I may be a river rat now but I don't have to be uncomfortable doing so. :dunno:
Maybe he will calm down once we are in the water.

It is really looking good now though. Gray top and all. I'll see if he will turn on lights once he calms down.And rake a pic.

Weather is cooling off so its time fro a boat ride.
Hubby started it up today and it is ready to go. Last time we took it out we had 2 daughters and one oldest grandkid.

I'm taking that cheap shedding carpet out today. Will replace it or not later on. It sheds little specks all over you,plus it can't be good to breathe.

Gh0SZ7w.jpg

It sits in the water nicely,levels out pretty good.
c3e6UOk.jpg

Last edited:
Get some truck bed liner or have it sprayed in at LineX. Works good. I have carpeting in my fishing boat and I think any manufacturer that installs carpet in a fishing boat should be shot.

BachL, we'er going with marine carpet we got a few months ago.
And that troller I got is probably made for a ducky in the tub!:mad:. Maybe a small raft in slow currant river? Some places the currant is really strong in these rivers. I'd hate to think of what it would do in the intercoastal waters.
Which reminds me ,may need a small life raft.:D

Latest posts

Back