Questions about land selection

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BirdDogGal

Friend
Neighbor
So we are about to make an offer on a property. 12 acres on a small hill but level for all 12 acres. Lightly wooded. Considering the possibilities of this place. There is already a home, medium shed and an access road to that part of the property. Is it crazy expensive to clear an acre for a medium (30x50) livestock barn and 1/4 acre garden? I'm assuming we'd have to pay extra to have the stumps removed so a pad can be poured? I've read about $3000 per acre for my kind of situation (thin density of small deciduous trees). Driveway is gravel. We are having an extremely hard time finding a property that can fit my family and has features like a pre existing barn that is within an hour of my husbands work and isn't damn near a million dollars.

Other areas I can't speak to but SW of Bham land doesn't begin to get reasonable until south of the Mercedes Plant on 20/59. At that point you might as well get jobs in Tuscaloosa.

Be aware that much of the area around Brookwood was all strip mined years ago.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I live on the farm where I was born so haven't been in the market for land. The only things I know are 2nd hand info from friends.

Other areas I can't speak to but SW of Bham land doesn't begin to get reasonable until south of the Mercedes Plant on 20/59. At that point you might as well get jobs in Tuscaloosa.

Be aware that much of the area around Brookwood was all strip mined years ago.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I live on the farm where I was born so haven't been in the market for land. The only things I know are 2nd hand info from friends.

We are looking S and SE of Birmingham without going out past Sylacauga or Jemison. The job that pays for it all is in S Birmingham so it is what it is. Thats why I'm trying to see if we can possibly clear some trees and make this property work. Very nice you have a family farm, I'm working hard to give that to my children.

I think it'll cost more than 3k/acre for the stump removal. Depending on the size of the trees you might be able to rent a bulldozer and push them over and into a pile yourself, and then burn them at your convenience...
I had an idea it might be. I like to anticipate higher cost and having something left over than cutting it too close 😬 This is a picture of the proposed barn site.
6F7D460D-70A4-4873-829C-09E5084EC825.jpeg

Very nice! I could work with something like that, lol. Shame, nothing more annoying than trees close to a barn. However there are a few of those I'd try to work around. Hard to tell but the big red oak just to the right of the lawnmower looks nice. I try to use nature when I can. Part of my corral fence is covered by honey suckle. It serves a purpose, a scared cow might try to run through or over a wire or wood fence. If they can see open ground beyond it they'll give it a try sometimes. The honey suckle blocks their view completely, looks like a solid wall. I've never had a cow try to run through that part of the corral.

I do not know the area, but do as much cleaning as you can first, the hire a crew.
Talk to the people around you, Here I know a few guys that will cut the trees & large limbs for fire wood & pile the brush up.
They get the firewood, you get clean land. If you do this have them leave a 12" stump for the dozer.
I have ten acres that I sold timber off of & it was cheaper for me to buy a tractor with a backhoe & loader, then get a dozer to come in.
But I did not have a deadline for cleaning all the stumps up, plus I got 48 month loan 0% from Kubota.

Great news, better than I could’ve hoped. Projected barn area already has posts for approx 16’x 20’ barn. Seller is a contractor. Ground level spring in the back acre. And they accepted our offer at list price! 😅 New homestead planned for December. Lots of work ahead.
Wooo hooo!

Says your prayers since it looks like God has smiled on you.

Ben

Happy for you! Keep us posted with pics. We love projects here. Oh, I have a 17acre field here on the farm my grandfather cleared with a pair of mules. It took him 5 years to remove all the stumps in his spare time while he farmed and raised a family.

It'd be last on my list of options... but it can be done that way. 😉

Last edited:
Back