Questions about mules?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboykid

New Friend
Neighbor
Howdy! I'm brand new here. I don't currently have a typical "homestead" property at the moment (just a tiny garden), but my family has been interested in producing our own food we're looking to buy a bigger property when we are financially able to do so within the next 2 years. Until then, I'm trying to learn all that I can until we eventually dive in.

We're interested in keeping milking goats, but we're concerned about predators. I've heard that donkeys make great guardians and the largest ones can be ridden/haul things, but that mammoth donkeys are rare and difficult to obtain. I would definitely prefer a multi-use animal, which we could use to cart bulky things around and/or ride, as well as using it to guard livestock. I've heard that mules are similar to donkeys in their guarding ability and also have the donkey-esque stability in personality and sense of self-preservation, which I would prefer in a riding/working partner, as opposed to a horse's "flightiness". And they're far more common than mammoth donkeys. Anyway, I just had a few questions regarding mules that I couldn't seem to find clear answers for.

- How much weight can a mule carry comfortably? How much can they safely pull? I heard they can carry 20% of their body weight, similar to donkeys, and pull twice their body weight, but not sure that's accurate/safe or not.

- At what age is a mule no longer fit to ride/carry? I would be considering getting an older mule, since I've never owned an equine before and would definitely not want to deal with an inexperienced animal when I have little experience myself. For reference, it wouldn't be used for heavy labor; more like leisure rides and carrying/pulling things for relatively short distances, for short periods of time

Also feel free to give me general tips/info. I'd love to learn as much as I can. Thanks in advance!

I worked with mules a good bit as a young man and will say this... The expression "Stubborn as a Mule" isn't a private joke. They are mean, they bite, kick are stubborn, cantankerous, disagreeable, and a few adjectives not appropriate for the forum. If you don't know what you're doing you'll get no where fast. They'll just sit down and refuse to move.

I once rented a mule from an uncle. The power company trimmed the right of way, every land owner lost a few trees. I made a deal with each to skid out those small logs. By spring that mule and I had developed a special hatred for each other... The only time he was agreeable was if he thought I was taking him to the barn.

If you've never worked with equines you'll probably be happier with a small horse for packs or pulling a cart. Horses are much easier to work, but, they move quicker than mules or donkeys. This is why mules are preferred for plowing small crops for example. They move slower, less likely to damage your veggies or field crop.

Donkeys and mules can see their rear feet/hooves. Their eyes are set further on the sides of their heads. If you're backing them they can see where to put their feet. It's why mules are used on the Grand Canyon trail rides. They don't accidentally step off cliffs. A horse can't see his rear feet/hooves and step on/in all sorts of crap. And off cliffs!

Since you have two years... I suggest finding someone with mules who can show you how to work them. You might discover a small horse or donkey is better suited for you needs.

I like donkeys, currently have one. I like them far more than mules in general.

Edit to add...

Sort of funny, I had a big german sheppard a few years ago that liked to nip at the rear ankles of the horses. She’d stick her head through the fence and nip. Then I got some donkeys. The dog didn’t know a donkey can see his rear hooves. One day I saw her try to nip a donkey standing beside the fence. The donkey kicked her in the head… hard!!! She just backed up shaking her head and sat down!! It was funny!!! She left the donkeys alone after that and the horses, no more nipping!!!

Last edited:
I don't have much experience with mules but I have enough to know this - a good mule is fantastic. A not so good one is just about impossible. There's an old guy around here who has a big riding mule that he takes to parades and shows, and that thing is the sweetest animal around, loves kids, just totally bombproof. But my grandpa had a team of draft mules that were a pain. It was long before my time, but pops says that grandpa kept an old shotgun loaded with rock salt for the days that the mules didn't want to go to the barn. After getting their butts peppered once or twice the learned to head for the barn as soon as they saw that shotgun coming at them...

Spike is right, I've seen some great mules I would have liked to have owned. They aren't all bad... but as a general rule, buyer beware. Again, being a novice to equines and informed choice is best. Work with some horses, mules and donkeys for a year or so. Then you can get whats best for you're situation.

My uncle had mules and horses his whole life. Much preferred mules. He worked hi garden, mowed and raked hay, work the tobacco patch, skidded logs. Mostly what ever needed done. He traded a lot and some didn't stay around long. The ones easy to work he kept for years. I recall going on a couple of wagon trains with him. Most everyone had nice horses and all showy. He always drove his mules. He and a handful of others. That was so much fun. He always had his most well behaved in that hitch

I was a young boy 9-10 years old.
I was the walk behind a pair of mules , cultivating corn , 10 hrs a day ( with a lunch break for Blony sandwich. Moon pie, and ice tea).
Jake and Jim were so smart, they knew which way to turn and how many rows to skip over , at the end of the row.
Never had to gee haw them.
Never had a stalk of corn plowed up.
Very smart animals.

Jim

Latest posts

Back