Questions on using home canned meats

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustMe

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
More specifically beef., I have been canning alot of meat, beef, pork, chicken, etc unseasoned so that it would be more versatile for use in recipes when I needed it. My thought was I didn't want a bunch of taco meat, when I needed Italian lasagna or something.

I have since used some in a few different recipes and noticed they all had the same beef flavor, regardless of how I seasoned it. It's not a bad taste at all, but it overpowers any seasoning I may add and I'm finding it may not be such a good thing if all my beef recipes taste the same. Somehow this isn't a problem with chicken, but the beef it is whether it's slices, chunks or burger.

Does anyone else do this? Have the same problem? Or do you season your meat before canning it??? If so, are the flavors of the beef & seasonings more balanced out?????

We have not done it a lot. We are still eating our first batches of shredded and ground beef. I have not noticed this. We did can home grown beef rather than store bought.

Most of the time we eat out of the freezer as I try to keep the home canned meats as our back up plan, but yes it's all store bought.

As I said though, it's not a bad taste or anything, it's just more intense than any type of seasoning I add to it when opened.

BUT do you season your beef before or after opening the jar???

I had been worried that with the canning process it would make the seasoning too intense, but now I'm questioning that idea

Most of the time we eat out of the freezer as I try to keep the home canned meats as our back up plan, but yes it's all store bought.

As I said though, it's not a bad taste or anything, it's just more intense than any type of seasoning I add to it when opened.

BUT do you season your beef before or after opening the jar???

I had been worried that with the canning process it would make the seasoning too intense, but now I'm questioning that idea
I've never canned beef, just chicken.
I consider anything new that I do an experiment. I have to taste and try anything like this soon after I finish whatever process I am doing, so that I can evaluate how that worked. Yes, it is too late for you now, and I'm sorry that I do not have any other recommendations for you.

I do prefer it seasoned. I don't use a lot so even if it is taco meat, I can use it in spaghetti and it is fine. I have been PC'ing more pork as it is cheaper. I do pulled pork with BBQ sauce. Maybe I add more seasoning at the end. I haven't had any problems--yet.

I know what you are talking about. Canned chicken is a bland meat that happens to get into the flavored sauce as more of a texture and the sauce stands out.

Beef when canned tends to come out as roast beef flavor no matter what you do with it. No problem for stews, stroganoff, shite on a shingle...
For the most part, you are stuck with the problem but two things that might help is BBQ works as seasoning in the jar, and swiss steak recipes minus the thickener can help as well. Still going to have a hint of roast beef regardless. Try low salt/low weirdo chemical seasoning that can mix into the liquid that forms in the jar. Satay is another flavor strong enough to hide the beef. Err on the side of less is more until you can test the finished product for real.

If you can afford to risk it, can up a batch of 1/2 pint jars of beef with different ideas that sound good (might actually suck). I keep 12 1/2pint jars just for mini experiments. Sometimes you have to answer your own questions. Just don't serve it up to company the first time out of the jar.

Interesting. We can beef. Never had a problem seasoning after the fact. We tried seasoning chicken and when we opened it, apparently we didn't use enough because it never tasted like Italian or curry or soy or BBQ. Beef we've used for taco, and it comes out tasting like taco.

Maybe this is a silly question, but how old are your spices? I've got curry a couple years old and have to use twice as much now. Don't know if that's the problem but old spices can lose some of their punch.

This is about someone newer to canning who has just discovered that plain canned beef is hard to flavor after the fact, and that it all tastes the same no matter what they do to it. It's not an issue for everyone. it is to them.

It's a given, that plain canned beef doesn't soak up flavors very well, after the fact. So, in answer to the original question, he can add certain types of seasoning before canning, to combat his personal taste bud issues.

Interesting. We can beef. Never had a problem seasoning after the fact. We tried seasoning chicken and when we opened it, apparently we didn't use enough because it never tasted like Italian or curry or soy or BBQ. Beef we've used for taco, and it comes out tasting like taco.

Maybe this is a silly question, but how old are your spices? I've got curry a couple years old and have to use twice as much now. Don't know if that's the problem but old spices can lose some of their punch.

Most of my spices are newer and even the older ones season up fresh meat just fine. As Clem said, it's trying to season beef after it's been canned so it doesn't all taste like roast beef

This is about someone newer to canning who has just discovered that plain canned beef is hard to flavor after the fact, and that it all tastes the same no matter what they do to it. It's not an issue for everyone. it is to them.

It's a given, that plain canned beef doesn't soak up flavors very well, after the fact. So, in answer to the original question, he can add certain types of seasoning before canning, to combat his personal taste bud issues.

Not new to canning, just new to canned meat.

So if I season it before canning, it SHOULD take on more of the seasoning than the roast beef flavor?

And speaking of SOS, that is one I just did the other night with canned burger. Normally I'd make it with just salt & pepper with fresh burger and this time with the canned it also had the roast beef taste, so I added some bullion to it and it did help cut that

I don't think I've ever used sage with beef before. Chicken yes, but not beef, but not when canned

And if all else fails........times get bad enough, it'll work

We have canned hamburger and roast beef. The roast beef we use in stews or to make beef on weck, so we're not too concerned with changing the beefy flavor with spices. But the hamburger we use in hamburger helpers, taco bean dips, stroganoffs--I never noticed a strong beefy flavor. It can take on the flavor of the dish perfectly.

Granted I canned the hamburger when it was on sale. It's like 85% lean. Would fat content change the flavor? Most cows we butchered or that we had bought from the farmer, their meat we like 95% lean. This was store bought stuff. And I've noticed a distinct flavor change between store bought 85% lean and home-grown 95% lean when making fresh hamburgers.

We have canned hamburger and roast beef. The roast beef we use in stews or to make beef on weck, so we're not too concerned with changing the beefy flavor with spices. But the hamburger we use in hamburger helpers, taco bean dips, stroganoffs--I never noticed a strong beefy flavor. It can take on the flavor of the dish perfectly.

Granted I canned the hamburger when it was on sale. It's like 85% lean. Would fat content change the flavor? Most cows we butchered or that we had bought from the farmer, their meat we like 95% lean. This was store bought stuff. And I've noticed a distinct flavor change between store bought 85% lean and home-grown 95% lean when making fresh hamburgers.

Most of the burger I buy is 93% lean, just because it's burger that's going to be used in some recipe or another. I know most people swear by 80/20 with the higher fat content giving it more flavor, but I don't like having to pay for fat that will be cooked off or for a burger patty to shrink a 1/3 of it's size and it takes more of it to feed everyone. But that's just me.

There could be a difference in flavor just being store bought vs home grown, but my guess is that the fat would also lend a difference.

Grass fed beef is stronger flavored than grain fed (store). Also, the the older the cow and length of time the meat is aged influences the beef taste.

I prefer my meat fresh and as long as there is a functioning freezer around, there will be fresh meat on the grill. All bets are off when the freezers go down. The next problem is that although I have around 2000 jars, they aren't all available for canning meat and if they were, there aren't enough to get the job done. Then it's salt beef and a whole lot more seasoning issues.

I haven't canned beef in years other than trying to work out some decent meat loaf. I am still eating on beef from 2016. I got carried away that year. I figure I am due for another round later this summer. Just used up the last chicken from 2012 for the dogs. Thats pushing it for the flavour and texture. It could still be doctored and eaten though, in a pinch.

Most of the burger I buy is 93% lean, just because it's burger that's going to be used in some recipe or another. I know most people swear by 80/20 with the higher fat content giving it more flavor, but I don't like having to pay for fat that will be cooked off or for a burger patty to shrink a 1/3 of it's size and it takes more of it to feed everyone. But that's just me.

There could be a difference in flavor just being store bought vs home grown, but my guess is that the fat would also lend a difference.

I 100% agree with 80/20 being a waste. It amazes me that there's even 73% lean. Why even bother? I prefer the leanest meat I can get but I can cope with the 85% on a budget. Prefer grass-fed meat for sure! Tastes sooooooo much better. I love beef.

I prefer my meat fresh and as long as there is a functioning freezer around, there will be fresh meat on the grill. All bets are off when the freezers go down. The next problem is that although I have around 2000 jars, they aren't all available for canning meat and if they were, there aren't enough to get the job done. Then it's salt beef and a whole lot more seasoning issues.

We're trying to get the chest freezer cleaned out downstairs for that very reason. Dad and I both see the grid going down and losing all that beautiful meat would make me sick. The good thing is the freezer has been acting as the grocery store which allows us to use grocery-money for other grocery items.

I 100% agree with 80/20 being a waste. It amazes me that there's even 73% lean. Why even bother? I prefer the leanest meat I can get but I can cope with the 85% on a budget. Prefer grass-fed meat for sure! Tastes sooooooo much better. I love beef.

We're trying to get the chest freezer cleaned out downstairs for that very reason. Dad and I both see the grid going down and losing all that beautiful meat would make me sick. The good thing is the freezer has been acting as the grocery store which allows us to use grocery-money for other grocery items.

Personally I think the 73% is only there to fool people into thinking they are getting a lb of beef at a cheaper price. I had a niece that did that, until I told her to buy the leanest she could possibly afford, and once she cooked it, realized the difference. Yes, it takes more to get the same result. I don't have a problem with 85/15 or if I have too, will go to 80/20.......but if I can find enough of the higher grade cheap enough, I'll stock up on it

The fear of losing the freezer for whatever reasons, is why I have a bunch canned and try not to use it so much, in favor of the meat in the freezer. Not too long ago, going thru the freezer, there was a few packs that had been shuffled around for too long and were getting freezer burnt. That has since been corrected and the freezer is now full of new meats within the last couple of weeks and should be fine for a month or more.

But also looking ahead, there are some veggies I prefer to have frozen rather than canned and will be needing more freezer space for it.........but I also want to keep buying meat as long as I am able to get it. IDK, lots to think about and lots of 'what if's.

@JustMe

We actually had 2 freezers and the one bit the dust just recently. We had to rush to put things in the other freezer and we cooked up a lot of stuff. It was mostly chicken drumsticks in the one. So processing the stuff was doable, but I was in a little bit of a tizzy for a few hours. My dad had been worried about something like that happening and although we had the fridge and back-up freezer we were like, yeah. . .we need to get away from freezing. I think we have a bit of time before we have to worry about not being able to use the freezer and by then it'll probably be empty anyway. I'll admit I do prefer fresh beef over canned, but in an end-of-the-world scenario I'll just be grateful to have any type of beef!

@JustMe

We actually had 2 freezers and the one bit the dust just recently. We had to rush to put things in the other freezer and we cooked up a lot of stuff. It was mostly chicken drumsticks in the one. So processing the stuff was doable, but I was in a little bit of a tizzy for a few hours. My dad had been worried about something like that happening and although we had the fridge and back-up freezer we were like, yeah. . .we need to get away from freezing. I think we have a bit of time before we have to worry about not being able to use the freezer and by then it'll probably be empty anyway. I'll admit I do prefer fresh beef over canned, but in an end-of-the-world scenario I'll just be grateful to have any type of beef!
We were away for the week end when a stand up freezer failed. Judging by the smell it had been at room temperature for days. We filled 2 large trash cans with the spoiled meat.

That was a bummer.

Ben

I have chest freezers. They are packed tightly to the top. As space opens up, water bottles are placed in the newly vacated space. I made insulated covers (R14) to fit each freezer. The tops of the covers are basically pads that sit on the freezer tops, so easy access. A non working freezer doesn't even begin to thaw for 5 to 7 days or more. The freezer room has no heat.

Easy access ends when a freezer is opened so that problem is solved by not mixing the contents randomly. I made vertical dividers to go between the food groups. Some spaces are quite narrow. For example, 100 lbs of butter only needs a slot 3 blocks wide top to bottom of the freezer. Then another slot top to bottom of pork lard. I reuse store jars for the shelf stable versions.

It takes a lot of dividers to divide steaks, roasts, ribs, chicken by type, but it solves the problem of losing stuff in the bottom. Each slot has an inventory list and I try to work across the meat and veg, evenly.

@Neb - Oh man, that would have depressed. When our freezer went, the chicken was all thawed but still cold. That's how we knew the freezer bit the dust. Thankfully we caught it in time. The bottom of the freezer had like an inch or two of water from all the melt. All the veggies that were drowned at the bottom got tossed. We weren't taking chances of chicken juices mixed into that water and tainting the veggies with salmonella. Yuck!

We gave all those veggies to our chickens. Being the middle of winter with no greens, the chickens were dancing and devouring the stuff. Lol. But had the chicken spoiled. . .yeah, that would have gone right in the garbage and that would have been soooo depressing.

@ClemKadiddlehopper You're way more organized in your freezer than I am! We have meats on one side and veggies on another, but definitely not that organized. And kudos to 100 lbs of butter. My mom's lamenting over no butter sales. Lol. I need to remove the butter from our freezer one of these days and can it, but not sure if I have enough jars for it.

@Terri9630 Hey, that's alright. If you can make use of it then it's worth it.

I have chest freezers. They are packed tightly to the top. As space opens up, water bottles are placed in the newly vacated space. I made insulated covers (R14) to fit each freezer. The tops of the covers are basically pads that sit on the freezer tops, so easy access. A non working freezer doesn't even begin to thaw for 5 to 7 days or more. The freezer room has no heat.

Easy access ends when a freezer is opened so that problem is solved by not mixing the contents randomly. I made vertical dividers to go between the food groups. Some spaces are quite narrow. For example, 100 lbs of butter only needs a slot 3 blocks wide top to bottom of the freezer. Then another slot top to bottom of pork lard. I reuse store jars for the shelf stable versions.

It takes a lot of dividers to divide steaks, roasts, ribs, chicken by type, but it solves the problem of losing stuff in the bottom. Each slot has an inventory list and I try to work across the meat and veg, evenly.
What did you make your dividers from and how?

If/when we hit Depression or worse, there's going to be alot of picky eaters changing their tunes, and being thankful for whatever they can get
Speaking only for my picky eater, I don't expect a change of tune but only an increase of volume.

Latest posts

Back