Quick Clot.......gauze or the powder or "WHAT"

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished reading this entire thread, and through it all, Mr. Hugh Glass kept popping into my mind (see the subheading "Grizzly Bear Mauling" in the link below).

In spite of incredible odds, he survived a severe bear mauling and more. Not many could survive such odds! Yet, some folks do.

What increased his odds? I noticed a few clues in the Wikipedia article. (I probably could find more if I did a more extensive search elsewhere, as well as looking into clues how and why other people survived horrific injuries without medical help.

In Hugh Glass' case:

1) extreme motivation to survive his incredibly bad injuries.
2) to prevent infection and gangrene, he allowed maggots to "clean" his wounds This historically popular treatment likely saved his life (see second link below for more details about that).
3) he had enough knowledge to set his own broken bones and survive on insects, wild berries, roots, etc.

See subheading 'Grizzly bear mauling'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Glass
Historical and medical validation of maggot therapy:
Maggot therapy - Wikipedia

Yes, maggot therapy seems (and looks) disgusting to our sanitized view of medical treatment. But in a truly austere situation, where there are NO more antibiotics or any semblance of modern medicine left, we can look back in history to see what worked for our ancestors and has been validated by modern medical science.

It looks like getting the "right" kind of maggots is key. There are several species of fly maggots that feed on live flesh, I assume this would likely be evident by pain. Naturally, in that case, they need to be removed to allow maggots that feed on only dead flesh to do their job.

Speaking of medical validation, treating wounds with honey (or sugar) is another lifesaver. There are many reports of sugar and honey being used to treat infections and to even reverse gangrene. (Google dat.)

I have a respectable stockpile of modern antibiotics and medical supplies cached in several locations. But I am constantly exploring the notion that someday I may run out of them, and that medical help may not be available for a long time. I may eventually run out of pills, but a supply of sugar and honey has also been given high priority in my preps (enough to cache in several locations).

Last edited:
Did you ever see those strips that look like butterfly bandaids but they have like a zip tie to close a wound?

Not sure if these are to-which you refer, but.. www.amazon.com/dp/B07TRNNYVJ/

71gigPG9UuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
🤔

..Been looking to get a few sets to try out (kinda Pricey, tho.. $25. for just Two :oops:) Will report-back to Base, if we do.. :cool:

jd

I used a box of the quick clot Curad brand square webs (10 of them) to stop the blood flow on my finger. It lined up the cut really well. I did go in to the docs this afternoon tho for some doxycyclin, after thinking about how dirty my knife was when I sliced my finger. So they cleaned it again, and gave me the option of stitches or long steristrips with a finger brace to keep my finger straight. The webs did keep the skin in place and did clot well.

I used a box of the quick clot Curad brand square webs (10 of them) to stop the blood flow on my finger. It lined up the cut really well. I did go in to the docs this afternoon tho for some doxycyclin, after thinking about how dirty my knife was when I sliced my finger. So they cleaned it again, and gave me the option of stitches or long steristrips with a finger brace to keep my finger straight. The webs did keep the skin in place and did clot well.
I use a cut resistant glove when sharpening knives. You might want to check into them for your process. They are very inexpensive. A lot cheaper than a visit to the doctors.

I think I have some of those, but they're hard to wear when I'm killing and butchering chickens. I had on vinyl gloves, just to keep my hands clean, but I use a scalpel type blade for killing and skinning. Was working around skinning the wing of a large rooster and got careless.

I think I have some of those, but they're hard to wear when I'm killing and butchering chickens. I had on vinyl gloves, just to keep my hands clean, but I use a scalpel type blade for killing and skinning. Was working around skinning the wing of a large rooster and got careless.
I hold the knife in my right hand and wear the cutting glove on my left hand. The glove is washable and if you get the correct size, they are very nimble to use. Just a suggestion.

Latest posts

Back