Quick Summer Recipes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never thought to eat chicken breast this way. We usually bake it. I think a good amount of seasoning would be really important,

In the summer, I don't boil anything in the house to avoid the humidity. Instead, I put chicken in the crock pot, add a can of soup (cream of celery, onion, chicken, mushroom or whatever I'm in the mood for), throw in some spices, and add some frozen veges. I'll put it out on the porch or in the garage before I go to work. When I get home I have a yummy chicken dinner that I usually put over rice or biscuits. It's a nice hot dinner without heating up the house.

For anyone looking for a cool and quick dessert idea......I call it graham cracker cake, but it tastes more like a fluffy cheesecake. Yummy!!!

GRAHAM CRACKER CAKE
Make 2 packages of instant pudding, but only use 3 cups of milk instead of the 4 that it calls for.
Fold in one container of cool whip with the pudding.
Line the bottom of a 9x13 pan (I prefer glass pan) with a layer of graham crackers.
Layer 1/2 of the pudding mixture over the crackers.
Layer another line of graham crackers.
Layer the remaining pudding mixture over the crackers.
Spead a can of cherry pie filling (or you can use whatever your favorite pie filling is such as blueberry, apple, etc.) on top

Chill in the frig overnight to soften the grahm crackers. Leftovers (if there are any) can be stored in the frig.

I use this dessert often b/c it is relatively cheap to make, it's easy, it doesn't require heating, it looks pretty, and it tastes wonderful!!!

BLT, without the bread. I have fried bacon, sliced up a tomato, and wrapped them inside a lettuce leaf with a little mayo. If you have avocado, it is a great addition as well. I know someone who gave up meat and made avocado, tomato an lettuce sandwiches, but I would make avocado, tomato rolled in a lettuce leaf.

Easy Chicken and cheese dip
Makes about 6 servings- appetizer size.
1 can (12 ounces) chicken drained
2 teaspoons of reduced salt taco seasoning from jar( I make my own) or 1 teaspoon of chili powder.
1 cup of low fat cheddar cheese, shredded
6 ounces of low fat, unsalted tortilla chips( I make my own).
Place chicken and taco seasoning in medium size skillet, cook over medium heat for 3 or 4 minutes.
Put chicken and taco mixture in bowl.
Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of warmed chicken and taco seasoning.
Serve with tortilla chips.
optional toppings:
Chopped vegetables like onions, green, red, yellow peppers, mushrooms can be added will heating chicken and taco mixture.
Pretty good.

2 teaspoons of reduced salt taco seasoning from jar( I make my own) or 1 teaspoon of chili powder.
Place chicken and taco seasoning in medium size skillet, cook over medium heat for 3 or 4 minutes.
optional toppings:
Chopped vegetables like onions, green, red, yellow peppers, mushrooms can be added will heating chicken and taco mixture.
Pretty good.
Please delete have 3 of the same thing, just need 1 not 3.

Last edited:
optional toppings:
Pretty good
please delete this double post.

I would have thought we had or have a salad thread, but it is not coming up for me when I search for it. I think we need one. I found this recipe on a blog and want to save it. It sounds good.

https://outmywindowtoday.blogspot.c...howComment=1584637160535#c4028268846214423991
Blood Orange Salad
two avocados
two blood oranges
salt
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
red onion slice

Drizzle olive oil over plate layer avocado slices, blood orange slices (take off rind), onion slivers. Salt all above and drizzle with vinegar. Delicious serves 4. This is a beautiful impressive salad and other than peeling the oranges and trying to slice them pretty darn easy.

The woman whose recipe was in South Dakota magazine this week has had other recipes shared in the magazine and has a recipe blog. I would want to cook the radishes in this recipe, but that is me. I'm sure the raw radishes add a different flavor and texture.

https://www.southdakotamagazine.com...wsletter)&mc_cid=e4f6f48bba&mc_eid=1b87be2b9e
POTATO RADISH SALAD
(ADAPTED FROM REAL SIMPLE MAGAZINE)
1 pound small Yukon gold potatoes, cut into quarters
1 cup snap peas, cut in half
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 cup sour cream
Zest and juice of one lime
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup sliced radishes

Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender, about 10-15 minutes. During the last 3 minutes, add the snap peas to the boiling water and cook. Drain and rinse with cool water.

Whisk together the sour cream, zest and juice of lime, olive oil and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss with the potatoes, peas and radishes to coat. (Serves 4.)

Fran Hill has been blogging about food at On My Plate since October of 2006. She, her husband and their three dogs ranch near Colome.

Latest posts

Back