Quick Summer Recipes

Discussion in 'Cooking and Recipes' started by Meerkat, Apr 28, 2019.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Jul 31, 2019 #31

angie_nrs

angie_nrs

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

In the summer, I don't boil anything in the house to avoid the humidity. Instead, I put chicken in the crock pot, add a can of soup (cream of celery, onion, chicken, mushroom or whatever I'm in the mood for), throw in some spices, and add some frozen veges. I'll put it out on the porch or in the garage before I go to work. When I get home I have a yummy chicken dinner that I usually put over rice or biscuits. It's a nice hot dinner without heating up the house.

For anyone looking for a cool and quick dessert idea......I call it graham cracker cake, but it tastes more like a fluffy cheesecake. Yummy!!!

GRAHAM CRACKER CAKE
    Make 2 packages of instant pudding, but only use 3 cups of milk instead of the 4 that it calls for.
    Fold in one container of cool whip with the pudding.
    Line the bottom of a 9x13 pan (I prefer glass pan) with a layer of graham crackers.
    Layer 1/2 of the pudding mixture over the crackers.
    Layer another line of graham crackers.
    Layer the remaining pudding mixture over the crackers.
    Spead a can of cherry pie filling (or you can use whatever your favorite pie filling is such as blueberry, apple, etc.) on top

Chill in the frig overnight to soften the grahm crackers. Leftovers (if there are any) can be stored in the frig.

I use this dessert often b/c it is relatively cheap to make, it's easy, it doesn't require heating, it looks pretty, and it tastes wonderful!!!

2. Aug 5, 2019 #32

GrannyG

GrannyG

GrannyG

3. Aug 5, 2019 #33

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

There are several recipes online for lettuce wraps. They can be made with beef, pork, chicken, shrimp, shredded carrots, onions, other veggies, seasonings, pistachios. I have had them at Asian restaurants. I don't have a particular recipe that I use.

MoBookworm1957 and snappy1 like this.
  4. Aug 9, 2019 #34

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Neighbor HCL Supporter

Tomato Salad-3 ingredients
    Dice 1 fresh tomato out of garden
    Dice 1 cucumber
    Thinly slice onion; separate
    Toss together add salad dressing of choice
    Viola! Done!

snappy1 and Weedygarden like this.
  5. Aug 9, 2019 #35

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

BLT, without the bread. I have fried bacon, sliced up a tomato, and wrapped them inside a lettuce leaf with a little mayo. If you have avocado, it is a great addition as well. I know someone who gave up meat and made avocado, tomato an lettuce sandwiches, but I would make avocado, tomato rolled in a lettuce leaf.

MoBookworm1957 and snappy1 like this.