Quilt Swaps

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I am posting this because I do not know what this is and decided I would rather not help Google make 3 cents off my search. Besides I am sure you good people would gladly help educate me. :)

Is it a term for something or do people swap things to make quilts?

(see Angie's explanation in post down below. edited by Angie)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is when a quilting group gets together and they each make a few blocks to trade and exchange with each other. Then they each sew the blocks to make a quilt.

Think of it like a Christmas cookie swap. Everyone makes a ton of one type of cookie and trades small batches to get other kinds. At the end they have a varied cookie platter to take home and enjoy.

I have this here as on another Homesteading forum I was on , the ladies (but open to gents too) would get together , set parameters and colors, etc. Set a time frame. Have a sign up period, then have a hostess.
Hostess will receive all blocks, deal them out to the various members of the swap and mail.
There are more steps to it, but that's the basic idea. I've done it since at least 2005, probably before that too.
@Elgar want to put in some comments. Elgar is leading one that forum now. I use to do much of the leading of it.

BTW when reading thread title I'm thinking. .Sentry wants to start a quilt swap??

Heck yeah! I just still do not completely understand what it is. To me a square or block is a small patch you run through a gun barrel. :)

• So basically it's a way to get some unique "blocks" in order to make a quilt. That's my take away.

Heck yeah! I just still do not completely understand what it is. To me a square or block is a small patch you run through a gun barrel. :)

• So basically it's a way to get some unique "blocks" in order to make a quilt. That's my take away.
Yes, but it is MUCH more. I builds deep internet (sometime in person) friendships. Just similar to sitting in a quilting bee and visiting.

I've participated in many quilt block swaps. A hostess (or host) decides on the size, colour, or theme of the swap and then invites a group to join the swap. Each person makes a quilt block for each person who signs up and sometimes an extra block for the hostess. The blocks are made and sent back to the hostess by a specific date and she sorts them and sends them out to the other members. Although we pay postage back and forth, there is an advantage to participating in a swap. It is easier and quicker to make the same block several times than to make different styles of blocks. We get blocks made of fabrics we don't have, and most important, we have fun talking back and forth about the colours and designs we have chosen as well as other aspects of our lives.
Here's a quilt I made from a spring block swap on the HT board. Only two of these blocks are mine -- the rest were made by the other swappees. Yes, I could have saved postage and made a bunch of different blocks, but it's more fun to share back and forth with a like-minded group.
Spring.jpg

I love going to Hancock's of Puducah. I have a trip planned in 3 weeks or so and that is my 1/2 way stopping point going and coming. Now to have $$$ to spend. I have gone to one quilt show about 4 years ago and absolutely was stunned by the art work those quilts represent.

I have participated in many quilt blocks swaps on another forum with Angie and Elgar. They are SO much fun and you really do form wonderful friendships with the other participants. Many of us have been doing these swaps together for years. :) I hope that we can gather enough interested quilters here to do a swap one of these days too!!!

CalicoKatie and are talking and she's going to start us something small to start with. I'm looking towards about end of March/beginning of April to get together enough for a swap. We've always had such good times with them and made such good friends.

Welcome Wren!! Yay Angie, Elgar, CoSunflower and Katie !! I'm ready to think about starting another block swap,, almost finished with getting my sewing room organized so it will be a pleasure sewing in there.. As I was organizing things, I came across the wonderful box that Elgar had sent to me when I won her drawing!!!! there are so many cool things in that box ! .. Thanks again Elgar !!! Woohoo let the games begin..

I should be off work til mid/late April so maybe I could participate if we get one going before the end of March!!

CalicoKatie and are talking and she's going to start us something small to start with. I'm looking towards about end of March/beginning of April to get together enough for a swap. We've always had such good times with them and made such good friends.

Latest posts

Back