Quilting class

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I don't know the details but thought some of you ladies would like to see the photos.

While I'm here for the bluegrass camp a quilting class is being held in the main dining hall. About 20 students there.

Random pics

20230421_082303sm.jpg
20230421_082313sm.jpg
20230421_082316sm.jpg
20230421_082337sm.jpg
20230421_180809sm.jpg
20230421_180817sm.jpg

Did you know that there are men who quilt also? I've been to exhibits where quilts that were made by men were exhibited.

I used to be quite a fan of quilting, but have really let that slide in the last 10 + years.
Eons ago, a few friends and myself would go to the quilter’s heritage festival in Lancaster, PA. I took a class from John Flynn. Still have the frame he built (that was part of the materials for the class), but haven’t used it in years. I love piecing the tops but not really a fan of the actual quilting.

Eons ago, a few friends and myself would go to the quilter’s heritage festival in Lancaster, PA. I took a class from John Flynn. Still have the frame he built (that was part of the materials for the class), but haven’t used it in years. I love piecing the tops but not really a fan of the actual quilting.

My mom is the same way. She has a steamer trunk full of quilt tops she made that she told me I have to quilt once she is gone.

My one & only sister (eight brothers) would love that quilting class, she makes some really nice quilts! Maybe tomorrow I can find one that I like and throw down a photo... not sure exactly where it is at this moment, it's either in a bureau or a cardboard moving box. :confused:

My one & only sister (eight brothers) would love that quilting class, she makes some really nice quilts! Maybe tomorrow I can find one that I like and throw down a photo... not sure exactly where it is at this moment, it's either in a bureau or a cardboard moving box. :confused:
Hoping for a picture!! And wow, your sis is tough growing up with ALL those boys!!😮

I have 7 brothers, no sisters. Like your sister I'm the only girl.

@LadyLocust Yes, they teach at the camp twice a year. (camp-1100 pristine acres surrounded by a national forest). The two sisters who teach quilting live down below Selma on the Alabama River.

They do more than quilt... you'll love it too. I'll post some of the videos of the two singing once I process them all. The 2 ladies were also my lodge mates. In the common area we had a piano. A lady fiddle player across the hall from me played piano. The two quilters sing acapella normally but sang with the piano in the evening in the lodge.... incredible music.

Last edited:
I found the quilt... it was stashed away in a cardboard moving box, lol. Actually, it's good that I went looking for it, as I now realize I can empty the few remaining boxes in my home and get 'em outta here. When I burned out on home rehab, just about everything came to a grinding halt... I suppose the recovery of my fridge magnets was the first step toward taking on the remaining home rehab work. I think I'm gonna empty boxes tomorrow, then break all the empty boxes down (including the two dozen or so boxes in the large shed) and just store 'em flat out there in that same shed. There's all kinds of room out there, and I don't wanna toss the large flattened moving boxes, as they make great 'Mexican Creepers' for working under the car, especially on that gravel under the carport, lol. Anyway, here's the quilt I wanted y'all to see, it's pretty cool... I just laid it out on the carpet, so the afternoon lighting is not perfect, but you can still see how cool it is. Here ya go:

IMG_8943.JPG

IMG_8944.JPG

IMG_8945.JPG

Look closely, and you'll see panels with rodents (field mice, I reckon 🐀), and other panels with cats! 🐱

IMG_8946.JPG

IMG_8947.JPG

IMG_8948.JPG

The reverse side... looks like this pic didn't get rotated. Don't mind the cat toys! 😬

IMG_8950.JPG

Found these in the same box as that quilt: two mirrored mosaic lizards that are awesome, I can't believe I haven't put 'em up on my wall yet. There are some cool things left in full moving boxes which I haven't even unpacked yet... but I hope to unpack 'em soon once I get the interior painting finished. A lot of these smaller objects will go up on those freshly-painted walls, aye? Check out these bad@$$ lizards, lol... :oops:

IMG_8958.JPG

IMG_8959.JPG

IMG_8960.JPG

I found the quilt... it was stashed away in a cardboard moving box, lol. Actually, it's good that I went looking for it, as I now realize I can empty the few remaining boxes in my home and get 'em outta here. When I burned out on home rehab, just about everything came to a grinding halt... I suppose the recovery of my fridge magnets was the first step toward taking on the remaining home rehab work. I think I'm gonna empty boxes tomorrow, then break all the empty boxes down (including the two dozen or so boxes in the large shed) and just store 'em flat out there in that same shed. There's all kinds of room out there, and I don't wanna toss the large flattened moving boxes, as they make great 'Mexican Creepers' for working under the car, especially on that gravel under the carport, lol. Anyway, here's the quilt I wanted y'all to see, it's pretty cool... I just laid it out on the carpet, so the afternoon lighting is not perfect, but you can still see how cool it is. Here ya go:

View attachment 107498
View attachment 107499
View attachment 107500

Look closely, and you'll see panels with rodents (field mice, I reckon 🐀), and other panels with cats! 🐱

View attachment 107502
View attachment 107503
View attachment 107504

The reverse side... looks like this pic didn't get rotated. Don't mind the cat toys! 😬

View attachment 107505
That is so beautiful and cool! Glad you found and shared the pictures!!

My wife used to quilt alot, they would rent a camp with a big hall and gather around and quilt for a long weekend. Art quilts, baby quilts and slash and stitch. Too dark now but I will take some photos tomorrow, quilts add a lot to a space when used for wall hangings.
I have a guy friend who is punching out baby quilts at quite a fast rate......inbetween going to 3 gun shoots.

Here's a shot of my room that is in focus... All the beds had bed spread sized quilts made by students over time... Nothing fancy, simple, they fit the feel of the whole camp. They were also a little thinner than a regular quilt. Each bed had a matching slip cover for a jumbo sized pillow.

20230423_082924sm.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 107498
View attachment 107499
View attachment 107500

View attachment 107502
View attachment 107503
View attachment 107504

View attachment 107505
It's a "Log Cabin" block, original setting design - great color combos (IMO) 😍

I just finished teaching a six-week beginning quilting class at our local community college. Here we are, posing with one of the student's quilt tops. (I'm the one in the red tee shirt sitting in the front). I will be teaching a six-week intermediate course later this summer.
:fun fun:

View attachment 107735
Wow, I just happened to pop on here for a minute and saw this!! I bet that was fun!! Great to see you here!! What a beautiful quilt top!!

View attachment 107498
View attachment 107499
View attachment 107500

View attachment 107502
View attachment 107503
View attachment 107504

View attachment 107505
This is a beautiful quilt. It is one version of Log Cabin.

A show 'True South' comes on the sec sports channel. A writer travels to small towns all over the south. Does interviews with locals.

Tonight there was a segment on Gee's Bend on the alabama river. Which is the home of Mrs Mary and Mrs China Pettway. The very same ladies who taught the quilting class at the folk school back in April.

Of course the segments included videos of their quilts as they sewed. Beautiful quilts. There was a very short bit with them singing...

These ladies were my lodge mates. They got up singing, sang grace instead of saying grace at meals. There was a young lady staying in the lodge who was a fiddle player but played a little piano. There was a piano in our lodge...

She'd play for the Pettway sisters before breakfast each morning, sometimes after lunch, loved every minute of it! I woke up to this every morning!

Last edited:
@LadyLocust A quilting story my grandmother told… she was quilting with other ladies in someone’s home. They also had family visiting from chicago, one, a small boy.

The ladies are quilting away, a rack/quilt in the middle of the room. Someone had brought a little puppy for the boy. They were on the floor under the quilt having a great time.

Suddenly the boy started screaming…. “The puppy! He’s leaking!” Being a city boy he didn’t know puppies peed! He really thought the puppy had sprung a leak! Grandma always laughed telling that story… Poor kid, he thought he broke the puppy. 🤣

Anyway, I always think of grandma’s story when anyone mentions quilts.

Anyone know the size of the old time car quilts? Back when cars didnt have heaters.
There wasn't a designated size by measurement, but they were essentially a lap quilt. If you'd like to be authentic, you might look up historic &/or antique sleigh robes and see if they list dimensions. I believe they were often the size & made of a buffalo hide. I'm not 100% on this - just knowledge from things I've read.

Working on my forever quilt- it’s the first quilt I ever made and is comprised of every error known to quilter but I’d like to finish it. View attachment 118355
Mistakes make it personal. Anyone who is looking for mistakes is probably too much of a critic!

Edit: One of my Montessori trainers told about taking an upholstery class. Every week, one of her classmates had everything done. When asked how she got it done, she said that every time she walked by it, she did a little something, such as hammering in a nail or putting in a staple or something.

I am no one to talk. I started a couple quilts before my daughter was born, 40 + years ago. I just finished it a few years ago. A few other quilts I set a goal for myself to quilt a square a day. That really worked for me. The one I finished a few years ago was different. It was a quilt that had embroidered cats on the squares and I wanted to tie it with yarn, not quilt it. I didn't really have a good space to do that in and when I finally found a space to use, I got that quilt done. I told my daughter that it should go to one of my nieces one day, as she is really into cats.

Last edited:
Mistakes make it personal. Anyone who is looking for mistakes is probably too much of a critic!

Edit: One of my Montessori trainers told about taking an upholstery class. Every week, one of her classmates had everything done. When asked how she got it done, she said that every time she walked by it, she did a little something, such as hammering in a nail or putting in a staple or something.

I am no one to talk. I started a couple quilts before my daughter was born, 40 + years ago. I just finished it a few years ago. A few other quilts I set a goal for myself to quilt a square a day. That really worked for me. The one I finished a few years ago was different. It was a quilt that had embroidered cats on the squares and I wanted to tie it with yarn, not quilt it. I didn't really have a good space to do that in and when I finally found a space to use, I got that quilt done. I told my daughter that it should go to one of my nieces one day, as she is really into cats.
I've made plenty of quilts since this one. I say this has been my learning quilt. It's funny to look at it and see oh here's where I figured this out and there's where I figured that out. I only have maybe half dozen blocks left to do, then the boarder. I like binding so that shouldn't be a big deal. I think it's mostly a mental thing as I'm stitching I see all those mistakes but am cool with that in that I now recognize them as such and don't do that anymore. The other quilt I have going is all hand pieced and pretty tedious. I will also hand quilt it. This is an awful pix of it, but you can see the design. The diamonds are 1" for scale.
IMG_0369.JPG

And here is the Cathedral Window I made (all hand stitched) for on our bed. Can't see in the photo, but there is a bead at each of the intersections where the 4 points meet.
Cath Wind.JPG

Working on my forever quilt- it’s the first quilt I ever made and is comprised of every error known to quilter but I’d like to finish it. View attachment 118355
Everyone of us quilters have a new best friend, You might get to know him as well.
His name is Mr. Jack the seam Ripper,
All kidding aside, the seam ripper will be your friend or enemy. But keep him close by, you will never know when you might need him.
Your quilt will be beautiful because it.s made with love from your heart.
Every quilter doesn't start out perfect.
It takes time, mistakes, patience.

Latest posts

Back