Rabbit, My House Rabbit

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katlupe

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
door_sign_800.JPG

I have a pet rabbit who is a house rabbit. He lives with me in my studio apartment now, having been found in my barn after an owl dropped him. He stayed outside in the barn for a few months and then I finally brought him inside. I was worried when I moved here that he would not like it. What a surprise........he adjusted fast and very well. He is a happy little camper! We have become very close since here it is just him and me.

grabb_800.JPG

Last edited:
You do? How long have you had them? I love their looks! I had never seen one before till Rabbit appeared in my barn. I fell in love with him instantly. Then I was obsessed with him. But he would not let me pick him up or doctor his wounds from the owl.

We have been raising Californians and New Zealands for about 9 years now. My girls showed in 4-H but its the last year for my my youngest so we are down to the last 2. We sold all our breeding stock, decided not to take them up the mountain with is.

Something I see a lot of since I have had a pet rabbit is that online, people are so rule regulated about house rabbits (and everything else too). They try to act like they are the ultimate authority on raising your rabbit (that they don't even know). They imply that if you adopt a rabbit you must have more than one. Well that would make you think twice about even adopting one. So instead of increasing adoptions and they need homes badly for them, that would make me think that I better not get one since I cannot have two. The truth is that what they are saying would go for any pet you have, such as cats, dogs, horses, whatever. They say that it is inhumane to keep one without ever having contact with another rabbit again. Well he was dropped by an owl and was being raised as a meat rabbit so he would not have lived this long. No, he cannot tell that he is happy, but he acts like it. He now greets people, even strangers when they come to my apartment. He hops and binkys all over the place in the morning. I never pay any attention to someone once that have posted or commented on something like that. I figure they are ignorant.

Rabbits don't really appreciate much company outside of breeding. They, especially the females, are very territorial. I've seen some awful fights when pet rabbits are moved in together.

Rabbits don't really appreciate much company outside of breeding. They, especially the females, are very territorial. I've seen some awful fights when pet rabbits are moved in together.
Yes, so I have heard. Even all those House Rabbit people will bring home a new rabbit and the other rabbit will not bond with it and they have to keep them separated. Now Rabbit did get along good with my cats and even my one horse. The other two horses did not pay much attention to him. Her being the "boss mare," she really took to him. I have pictures of them nose to nose. Anyway, living here with me, I do not want any other animals, so he is an only rabbit. I don't think he is lacking. For one thing if he has never bonded with any others, he doesn't know what he is missing. He is happy.

Latest posts

Back