Raised Beds

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work Homesteader. I like your beds a lot. I have come up with w designs for beds for us watching Youtube videos and looking at what my dad has built. Soon as I can get to Lowes to purchase materials I'm going to build 2 this year as a start. Long term I want to do at least 12 - 4x12' beds. Haven't considered doing raised beds for my muscadines. I've already got them established with most of my arbors completed, so don't want to move them. However I have lost most asparagus bed a few years ago due to a dozer getting in and ruining it. Putting that in a bed might just be a great answer. I'm thinking of a 3' x 12' and do 3 rows, or 4x12 with 4 rows planted within. We loved having the bed and always had 10-12 weeks of all the asparagus we wanted to eat. and atill leave it growing to keep the roots healthy. Raspberries is something I've never had luck with. Blackberries are no problem. Might try another bed for raspberries. Longer term project for me. But I plan to start this spring with a couple beds.

I made it to Home Depot today, thankfully you can place your order online or through the app and they will bring it out to you. Not sure if they do everyone like this or just the "pros" and I am not sure how I got that title there but it might because of the money I have spent there. Lowes is doing the same thing now I do believe but they didn't have everything I needed at one store so Home Depot it was!

Anyways I have enough supplies to build 3 more 42" x 12' beds. We decided that 4' in width was to much (my Mrs is only 4' 11" and she wants to reach everything...T-Rex arms I tell ya) But all the supplies to build 3 beds, with a little bit of extra 2x4's thrown in and I am using 4" x 4" x 6' treated lumber which is more than landscape timbers but the total came to $906. That was with 25 bags of raised bed dirt and I will probably need more but we will see. Originally i was going with 40 bags but cut back to keep it under $1000 I forgot about my 10% veteran discount so i could have squeezed another 10-11 bags in and met my goal though. I figure I will see how it goes with the 25 bags that are 2 cu ft each.

On a side note since i do use the wood in the bottom of mine this requires that after a year I will need to add dirt. the nooks and cranny's get filled in and also as rot occurs you will need to add dirt. Keep a bunch of composting going to fill this need!

I made it to Home Depot today, thankfully you can place your order online or through the app and they will bring it out to you. Not sure if they do everyone like this or just the "pros" and I am not sure how I got that title there but it might because of the money I have spent there. Lowes is doing the same thing now I do believe but they didn't have everything I needed at one store so Home Depot it was!

Anyways I have enough supplies to build 3 more 42" x 12' beds. We decided that 4' in width was to much (my Mrs is only 4' 11" and she wants to reach everything...T-Rex arms I tell ya) But all the supplies to build 3 beds, with a little bit of extra 2x4's thrown in and I am using 4" x 4" x 6' treated lumber which is more than landscape timbers but the total came to $906. That was with 25 bags of raised bed dirt and I will probably need more but we will see. Originally i was going with 40 bags but cut back to keep it under $1000 I forgot about my 10% veteran discount so i could have squeezed another 10-11 bags in and met my goal though. I figure I will see how it goes with the 25 bags that are 2 cu ft each.

On a side note since i do use the wood in the bottom of mine this requires that after a year I will need to add dirt. the nooks and cranny's get filled in and also as rot occurs you will need to add dirt. Keep a bunch of composting going to fill this need!

I have been in the process of remodeling so my garden this year has taken a back seat, once we get moved to the new place, I have a lot of projects I want to get started. Raised beds are my first priority. I really like how y’all have these set up.

I understand about t rex arms. My wife is 4-10.
I've gotten one bed built, gonna try and start filling it as soon as the rain stops for a day or three. Gonna pick up the on line order at lowes tonight so I can build the second one.

I have been in the process of remodeling so my garden this year has taken a back seat, once we get moved to the new place, I have a lot of projects I want to get started. Raised beds are my first priority. I really like how y’all have these set up.

Starting means there is an ending, that will never happen. We have yet to see an end to the jobs we want to do here and we been on it for almost 24 years.:thumbs:

Last edited:
Yea, that is really the truth. We bought four acres, and I am looking forward to getting started.

It feels good to work on your own place. Even better after another project is completed, till its time for repairs.:D But that is ok because its like you like it, your own little creation.Have fun GreenAcres .

It feels good to work on your own place. Even better after another project is completed, till its time for repairs.:D But that is ok because its like you like it, your own little creation.Have fun GreenAcres .

Yea we have been planning and sketching out what we want done, and what flowers and trees to plant. We set up the flooring install today, so I gotta get in there and finish painting.

I cleared 9.98 acres 24 months ago & have stumps to remove, still working on that. But I will plant the field as soon as I have the stumps out.
I am going to make raised bed for the perennials, even tho in my sandy loam soil I do not need to raise my beds. The situp will aid in mulching the beds.

When we could actually grow good food,lol,to save from frost I used kerosene lamps under that plastic to keep thses from freezing.Some I held up in another picture.We ate every leaf and every head. and stalks great taste and tender.

1619728254085.png

Latest posts

Back