Random Acts of Kindness

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And that's how I know who is a potential friendly and who is a potential target. šŸ˜Ž
In my small town, when I meet a police officer on the street or in the supermarket, he always looks me in the eye, I nod, he nods. The smile is optional.

Last edited:
I never really thought of this as a RAoK until yesterday. I donā€™t often keep track of rewards at stores. We had to get a new regulator for our trailer so asked a blacksmith friend where he got the ones he used for forges. Tractor Supply. I think that was only my second time in the store. I went and got one and when checking out they asked for a phone number. I verified it was for kudo points so gave them our friendā€™s #. I told him he got extra points and his response was ā€œWow great Thank you.ā€ He evidently gets coupons based on his spending so was appreciative. At one grocery store I put my folks number so they earn cents off gas and on the rare occasion I get a coffee in town, I ask them to give my stamp to the other car or person. Itā€™s so simple but folks do seem to appreciate it.

I went thru the drivethru yesterday and paid for the lady behind me. It's been a while since I've done that and with all the crap going on around us, I thought it would be nice to do something for someone I didn't even know. I told the cashier to tell her to have a nice weekend. I was around the corner when she drove up to pay and I heard the "awwwwwww" when she was told her bill was paid. Then I got the thumbs up from her when she pulled up behind me again.:thumbs: It was the best $10 I spent all week.

I went thru the drivethru yesterday and paid for the lady behind me. It's been a while since I've done that and with all the crap going on around us, I thought it would be nice to do something for someone I didn't even know. I told the cashier to tell her to have a nice weekend. I was around the corner when she drove up to pay and I heard the "awwwwwww" when she was told her bill was paid. Then I got the thumbs up from her when she pulled up behind me again.:thumbs: It was the best $10 I spent all week.
I'm going to risk being misunderstood and say that, though what you did has been described in my own small town locality, I see it as a modern, urban concept.

Have been doing sewing repairs for people I don't really know.
But my sons know them or work with them.
Fixed Communion pants for 8 year old boy, so he can receive his first communion.
Made baby receiving blankets, layettes for a couple whom don't have pot to pee in for my sons.
Childhood friends of theirs(special needs couple).
I also contributed to their food pantry from my food pantry.
They married because they loved each other, their parents didn't approve.
So the babies were a complete surprise.

Have been doing sewing repairs for people I don't really know.
But my sons know them or work with them.
Fixed Communion pants for 8 year old boy, so he can receive his first communion.
Made baby receiving blankets, layettes for a couple whom don't have pot to pee in for my sons.
Childhood friends of theirs(special needs couple).
I also contributed to their food pantry from my food pantry.
They married because they loved each other, their parents didn't approve.
So the babies were a complete surprise.
Thanks, Mo. You have significantly improved my day - and it was going OK anyway.

I forgot about this thread.
We recently had an 80 ft noble fir cut down 20 ft from the house. We had a pro do it for obvious reasons. They cut it up into rounds for us. It looks like a little over 3 cords. I tried to sell it for $150 to recoup some $ but no takers. The noble fir is kind of a junk wood around here, which is why I wasn't keeping it either. We contacted a friend who is involved in veterans support. It will be going to an elderly widow.

I forgot about this thread.
We recently had an 80 ft noble fir cut down 20 ft from the house. We had a pro do it for obvious reasons. They cut it up into rounds for us. It looks like a little over 3 cords. I tried to sell it for $150 to recoup some $ but no takers. The noble fir is kind of a junk wood around here, which is why I wasn't keeping it either. We contacted a friend who is involved in veterans support. It will be going to an elderly widow.
That's awesome! Last year when my dad was in the hospital, I actually bought a cord of firewood for them because they obviously couldn't get it and we were all so busy trying to take care of him (& mom) and still work that we didn't have time to go get it. Firewood when you have wood heat is a blessing to be sure!

The other day, I went through a coffee drive through and got an ice tea. The little gal working appeared pretty young (HS?) I asked if she would mind giving my stamp to the next person with a card which is what I usually do. She thought that was awesome and had never heard of someone doing that so said she would. It cost me nothing and is just a little perk for someone else who goes to those places often enough to have a card.

The other day, I went through a coffee drive through and got an ice tea. The little gal working appeared pretty young (HS?) I asked if she would mind giving my stamp to the next person with a card which is what I usually do. She thought that was awesome and had never heard of someone doing that so said she would. It cost me nothing and is just a little perk for someone else who goes to those places often enough to have a card.
Those are the little things that mean a lot. Just to say hey stranger I'm thinking of you!!!

Was going to tattle on Hubby~ he's so awesome.
Yesterday when we were eating, they were actually pretty busy for 3:30-4PM on a Sat. There was a couple (a little older,) that came in as we were eating and was seated at the next table. As we were getting ready to leave, Hubby asked me if it was okay for us to buy their meal. I said sure of course not really knowing what he was up to. When we went up to pay and requested their ticket as well, he said the fella was wearing a hat "187th Airborn." If they asked, just say Thank you for your service. Just one more reason why I love this man.

A while ago, I was sitting at the pizza shop waiting for my to-go order to get finished when a girl was at the desk ordering. When she went to pay she told the cashier.....uh, wait a minute......I don't know what happened to my $20. As she went back to the booth where her friends were, I reached for my purse and was grabbing my wallet to give her a $20. She rushed back to the counter and said she had found it. So.....the thought was there, just not able to pull it off. LOL! Then her friend walked up to the counter to put in an order and she had a baby in her arms. She let the kid stand up (against her) on the counter with bare feet so she could look thru the menu. :oops: When my order was ready, I stepped up and took the pizza from the guy so he wouldn't put it on the counter. I told him politely what had happened and (even though I'm not a germophobe) said he should clean off the counter. He thanked me for the heads up.

Yesterday I had a pizza delivered and thought about the last time we had pizza and remembered that I wanted to do something nice for no particular reason.....I gave the dude a very handsome tip. I appreciate the folks still out there working and I try to let them know it.

Dittos that.

Remember to keep them secret between you and God.

Ben
I agree with that 100%, which is why I hesitate to post here. However, I'm hoping that keeping this thread alive will inspire others to actively think about it and pay it forward. Plus, I like to hear the ideas that others have and maybe use it in the future.

Sometimes when I head out for the day I ask God to give me the opportunity to make a positive difference in someone else's life. Sometimes it only takes just a small act of kindness to change someone's life forever. We don't know what others are going through and sometimes just a smile or a kind word can make all the difference in the world to them, or maybe just be the turning point in their day......from a day of suck to a day of goodness.

I've noticed that when I'm actively thinking about doing something kind for someone else, it brightens my mood as well. Isn't it funny how that works? ;)

I agree with that 100%, which is why I hesitate to post here. However, I'm hoping that keeping this thread alive will inspire others to actively think about it and pay it forward. Plus, I like to hear the ideas that others have and maybe use it in the future.

Sometimes when I head out for the day I ask God to give me the opportunity to make a positive difference in someone else's life. Sometimes it only takes just a small act of kindness to change someone's life forever. We don't know what others are going through and sometimes just a smile or a kind word can make all the difference in the world to them, or maybe just be the turning point in their day......from a day of suck to a day of goodness.

I've noticed that when I'm actively thinking about doing something kind for someone else, it brightens my mood as well. Isn't it funny how that works? ;)
I am 'tardily aware' of chances to help that sailed on by me before I noticed them. Been going on for ~ 3/4ths of a century now. Saint Peter must have a long list. I have asked God for a do-over. Hah; fat chance of that.

What have others done for you, for free?
Taken away an old treadmill, cleaned my gutters, raked and bagged my leaves, put fresh headlamps on my cars, checked my tires, put new brakes on my cars, brought me plenty of meals over the years, paid for tickets and car rental to one of my kids' weddings far away. Many other good and kind-hearted things. "Is there anything I can do for you?"
Maybe that doesn't fit in with random, but it is always nice when others help us out.

What have others done for you, for free?
Taken away an old treadmill, cleaned my gutters, raked and bagged my leaves, put fresh headlamps on my cars, checked my tires, put new brakes on my cars, brought me plenty of meals over the years, paid for tickets and car rental to one of my kids' weddings far away. Many other good and kind-hearted things. "Is there anything I can do for you?"
Maybe that doesn't fit in with random, but it is always nice when others help us out.
GREAT POST!! When I was picking Bear up from his nuetering and my car tranny quit, a friend picked me up, took me to get Bear, and drove me home 30 minutes away!! Would not take gas money! There are great people left in this world!! This thread makes me want to be one of them!

This thread is great! And we don't 'know' each other so telling seems different somehow.
Between me and the town where I used to work lives a french man - Charles- in a derelict cottage. He has lived here for years, and refuses all help. He's an interesting character I believe, from a very wealthy family, but just doesn't do society. He has a dog, and walks to and from the town every day - about 5 miles, to sell his art (random streaks on cardboard) I have never seen him carrying a shopping bag. I know people who have left him clothes, food etc, but he never used them.
Anyway on Monday, I passed him entering the town, and he's aged terribly, walking slowly etc. I guess he's about 70 now, but I have no idea because he really is filthy- he could be 50; could be 80. Because he wasn't at the cottage, I thought I'd make use of the opportunity, and bought groceries and dog food, for about ā‚¬20 left them at his 'door' - it's a piece of plywood - and scarpered before he came back. The sad thing is I asked in the supermarket if there was anything they knew he liked- but the girl said in all her 20 years, she's only ever seen him buy white bread/baguette and dog food.

A few months ago, a guy knocked on our door. He was driving a bucket truck. He said that we had a tree that he was afraid would fall on our car and wanted to know if he could take it down for free. He worked about 4 hours and would not take any money. I finally convinced him to take some gas money. He was here from out of town just to do a job.

A few months ago, a guy knocked on our door. He was driving a bucket truck. He said that we had a tree that he was afraid would fall on our car and wanted to know if he could take it down for free. He worked about 4 hours and would not take any money. I finally convinced him to take some gas money. He was here from out of town just to do a job.
We do "what we gotta do". For some folks that covers a lot of ground; or trees even.

Making Christmas stocking for a young Special Needs couple so their little family.
So at least they will have a little something for Christmas .
Making doll clothes for several little girls for Christmas.
Making doll house rugs think mug rugs, curtains.
Repainting the entire doll house.
Just simple gifts for them.
Making kitchen potholders,trivets,for the lady.

Latest posts

Back