Random questions

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winds-of-change

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I thought I’d start this thread for………random questions. 🤪

Because I have a random question.
I bought some single serve cartons of uht milk. 12 whole milk, 6 low fat chocolate milk. Expiration dates are 8/2021 and 9/2021. Do you all think the milk is good beyond those dates? Anyone have any experience with uht milk. I know I’ve had canned soup that was 2 years expired. It was a little tinny but not really ‘bad.

Okay. I usually have fresh milk in the house because I make our own yogurt but I bought these to bring to work. I guess for prepping, powdered milk would be better, right? I wonder if that would remain ‘good’ after an expiration date.
Does powdered milk go bad?

Ben

I freezer powdered milk and use it for cooking.

UHT milk can have a texture change as it ages. It can get lumpy.

And that is why I use it for cooking if I have any on hand. That reminds me I have some of the 8oz boxes that need to get used.

I no longer drink milk, although I use it in cooking. I buy the powdered from {Be prepared.com.} Their product isn't as nasty tasting as the usual store brands

I no longer drink milk, although I use it in cooking. I buy the powdered from {Be prepared.com.} Their product isn't as nasty tasting as the usual store brands
I don't drink milk either. I have had issues with dairy for years. Massive symptoms of lactose intolerance but it could have been the candida issues I was having. No issues with cheese or other dairy but not willing to risk it with milk.

Organic Horizons powdered milk is the best I have found. Not LT but I keep it in the freezer and use it for cooking. It is whole milk and I get it from Costco. I keep my LT milk for LT. ;)

I love sugar kiss melons. The meat is very soft and sweet. Do you think I can freeze these? The meat is so soft, I’m not sure. But they were on sale and I bought 4. If I can’t freeze them, hubby and I will be eating lots of melon in the next 3-4 days. But I’m not complaining.

I vacuum seal powdered milk in half gallon jars and it keeps for years with no problems what so ever.
We only use milk in our coffee and for cooking

I've noticed that if I don't vacuum seal it, it will get a very light yellow tint to it after sitting on the shelf in the original packaging after an extended period. I just mix it up and give it to the pups. They don't care they eat dead things lol

Speaking of milk. Maybe it's a stupid question but has anyone ever experimented with watering plants with milk? I'm tempted to run a little experiment, grow one plant and see what happens.

Is that a thing? The internet says so, but anyone can write anything on the internet..it doesn't make it true.

Speaking of milk. Maybe it's a stupid question but has anyone ever experimented with watering plants with milk? I'm tempted to run a little experiment, grow one plant and see what happens.

Is that a thing? The internet says so, but anyone can write anything on the internet..it doesn't make it true.
I get all of my misinformation from the internet (talk radio).

Never tried that but how are the wild critters near you?

Seems the smell of the milk would attract trouble.

I will leave you with a final Q

Do you have a compost pile?

Ben

We drink a gallon of milk a day in my house (just me and hubby), wouldn't make it to the plants😊

One gallon of milk to 17 gallons of water.

Sprayed on fields, the degree of brix (sugar content) feeds the beneficial soil bacteria and makes for some very sought-after pasture and hay.

I used to keep five jersey cows. I skimmed the cream and what milk was left after pigs, dogs, cats, chickens and me, it all went in the fields and gardens. Tomatoes also love the calcium.

One gallon of milk to 17 gallons of water.

Sprayed on fields, the degree of brix (sugar content) feeds the beneficial soil bacteria and makes for some very sought-after pasture and hay.

I used to keep five jersey cows. I skimmed the cream and what milk was left after pigs, dogs, cats, chickens and me, it all went in the fields and gardens. Tomatoes also love the calcium.
Interestiiiiiing.....

I get all of my misinformation from the internet (talk radio).

Never tried that but how are the wild critters near you?

Seems the smell of the milk would attract trouble.

I will leave you with a final Q

Do you have a compost pile?

Ben

Well, I'm in the city. When it comes to critters, that would be birds, the occasional stray cat, mice, sometimes rats and insects.

And yes, I just recently started a small compost pile. I don't need a large one.

Latest posts

Back