Rant for the Day (keep it clean)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, no, not the European tax. We lived there in the mid 80's, and they even had a "staying" tax. And the VAT tax. And a slew of other taxes. To pay a tax, you'd have to go to the Tobac Shop and buy an expensive stamp. Then put the stamp on the card. I'd go for the flat 10% tax, though. And no other taxes, that'd be good.

! New Year and thinking about Tax Time. Bought Turbo-tax (disk) and set it up on wife's computer (Intuit requires newer operating system than mine). Anyway, some of the features require that you log onto the intuit web page.... It went south from there... . Then 30 minutes I get a response back, Denied!

Yep! TurboTax has managed to get worse every year and still increase sales, what a company!
I think I will just down load the files from the IRS and do it by hand....
FYI - They have annoyed me....
That's a shame 🤨. I used TurboTax for 4 or 5 years when our taxes were simple and loved it.
Her wages, my wages, and a few pesky dividends, that's it.
Gathering up all the deductions was always a total waste of time, the 'standard deduction' was always more.
Like a lot of the 'electronic/online' stuff today, the 'keyboard-monkeys' keep "fixing it" until it no longer works.:mad:gaah
Edit: Now that things have settled down, I was hoping to transition back to them so I could stop giving H&R Block $350 every year 🤨.

Last edited:
I have used TurboTax for years. Ever since it came out.
I don't buy it I just log onto their site and they fill in most of the blanks.
Now that we're retired it's pretty basic.
I can probably do a 1040EZ this year and that is totally free. Also we don't have state income tax so it's even easier.
I file electronically and get any refund deposited into the checking account in just a few days.
Last year we actually had to pay $114.
I would never go to H&R Block.
They screwed up one year so bad it took me all year to get it straightened out and get my refund.

! New Year and thinking about Tax Time. Bought Turbo-tax (disk) and set it up on wife's computer (Intuit requires newer operating system than mine). Anyway, some of the features require that you log onto the intuit web page.... It went south from there... Can't create an account because you already have an account with your e-mail address. Can't reset the password because the account isn't linked to your cell phone number.... You have to log onto the intuit web page to get customer support with logging in! After spending hours in a do loop from he77, called them on their 1800 -intuit phone number... its an AI driven do loop! Finally, got to a customer person, spent 2 hours with them only to learn that they no longer have the ability to make any changes to your account or reset your password! Even if you can verify everything that they have on file! The nice lady on the phone (who isn't allowed to help) sent me a link for a customer service request, spend 15 minutes filling out the request, they have to be sent a picture of your driver's license or passport. Then 30 minutes I get a response back, Denied!

Yep! TurboTax has managed to get worse every year and still increase sales, what a company!

We may be better off switching from an income tax to a sales tax or as the Europeans call it a VAT tax system.

Playing devil's advocate...

The tax code changes at the government whim. Those changes have to be reflected in the tax tabulation. So how to support those changes for the customer?

Share software updates to all customers via downloads ( incurring costs of bandwidth customer support etc)

Or

Move computation to a central up to date number cruncher hidden behind a web interface. Simplifies issues of tax calculation updates but introduces issue of keeping track of who is who. There are some standard two factor authorizations schemes that assume a phone number and email are unique to a person.

So...

We aren't who we are but what our phone number and email are.

Options:

Burner phones

Alternate emails.

Works for us.

Ben

Mom uses H&R Block software. She had trouble with state taxes last year bc it did not include one of the deduction options. I had to put it in manually.

My gripe now is that I hate cancer. Just saw that Terry Love (from the Terry Love plumbing forums) only has a few weeks left to live due to cancer. He's in hospice care. I really feel for him and his family.

We have five children and I homeschooled the first three. We found a group of like minded homeschoolers and met once a month at the roller rink, met each Fri afternoon at the park for large group PE, we swapped old curriculum, held each other's hands when days were tough, and our children met good friends. Homeschooling doesn't mean antisocial.
I "homeschool" the twins on the weekend with my curriculum, because they are learning communist core at school. They work for 2 hours for me. I feel if we don't, then they will be total morons entering high school.
What is it about core (I assume you mean the "common core" curriculum that you consider "communist?"

Understand that I do not teach to Common Core, nor have I ever taught it. I got into -- and out of -- public school teaching before such and while still in my twenties. But now that I am an old retired phart, I do substitute at a public school here (all grades) and almost every teacher here considers Common Core to be at least a fair-to-middlin' approach, given the lack of funds and overcrowding of most schools.

My son (a more-or-less Republican like me) taught math in a public school in Arizona for six years, and now teaches at a private (Catholic) high school. He and most of his colleagues in his old job and his new one consider the whole "common core" thing to be over-politicized.

More an observation than a rant. And this isn't a comment on climate change believers/non-believers.
Watching the news last night (BBC) and the journalist comments how Boris Johnson (former British PM) is going to the climate conference in Davos, and how having 'big names' is kudos to the organisers. He also said what a big fuss is made when 'leaders' attend.
1. The only people making 'a fuss' is the media
2. what a kick in the face to all the people who dedicate their lives to working in this area, that they are so easily dismissed when a bunch of suits turn up for a photo shoot

We may be better off switching from an income tax to a sales tax or as the Europeans call it a VAT tax system.

We just give all our stuff to the accountant. It's worse the couple of hundred $ to not have to try and deal with that....if you don't have a business you could probably go to one of those tax places that charges $50 or something

80,000 new irs agents? That's the biggest news, and the ongoing fighting in Congress. And likely to go through and very likely to impact you and ME!
To put that in perspective, it's more than McDonald's employs worldwide. "would you like to Super size your audit?"

I just "finished" my tax workbook yesterday. Now it's off to my accountant of fifteen years, continue gathering documents delivered by snail mail until February. It doesn't come as a surprise anymore the late arrival of pertaining documents and the return must be amended.

I've fired unceremoniously two previous cpa. You can't afford to settle for average in this regard? Especially with 80k new agents knocking on American doors!

! New Year and thinking about Tax Time. Bought Turbo-tax (disk) and set it up on wife's computer (Intuit requires newer operating system than mine). Anyway, some of the features require that you log onto the intuit web page.... It went south from there... Can't create an account because you already have an account with your e-mail address. Can't reset the password because the account isn't linked to your cell phone number.... You have to log onto the intuit web page to get customer support with logging in! After spending hours in a do loop from he77, called them on their 1800 -intuit phone number... its an AI driven do loop! Finally, got to a customer person, spent 2 hours with them only to learn that they no longer have the ability to make any changes to your account or reset your password! Even if you can verify everything that they have on file! The nice lady on the phone (who isn't allowed to help) sent me a link for a customer service request, spend 15 minutes filling out the request, they have to be sent a picture of your driver's license or passport. Then 30 minutes I get a response back, Denied!

Set up a gmail email address and use that to setup a new TurboTax account.

Probably in the same place my hubby puts everything, if he ever figures out where that is I'll let you know!!
last time i cleaned my safe i found two new handguns i forgot i bought , I use the old chinese saying , look for something else and you'll find what you were originally looking for

Ok, here is my rant today. I need 6 more 6v golf cart batteries. I went to Interstate and they want $184 each for the 225 ah batteries. Costco also sells Interstate batteries, but are only 215ah, and sell for $105. I've purchased 3 sets, and get about 18 months out of them. I then went to Batteries Plus, who sells 215ah Duracell batteries for $146 a piece, but can't find any reviews on them. Interstate recommended I purchase their sealed, deep cycle, 235ah batteries, but they are $385 each. So I have a price of $630, $950, or $1900, just to drive my golf cart around. Anyone have any ideas or recommendations for me?

Ok, here is my rant today. I need 6 more 6v golf cart batteries. I went to Interstate and they want $184 each for the 225 ah batteries. Costco also sells Interstate batteries, but are only 215ah, and sell for $105. I've purchased 3 sets, and get about 18 months out of them. I then went to Batteries Plus, who sells 215ah Duracell batteries for $146 a piece, but can't find any reviews on them. Interstate recommended I purchase their sealed, deep cycle, 235ah batteries, but they are $385 each. So I have a price of $630, $950, or $1900, just to drive my golf cart around. Anyone have any ideas or recommendations for me?
4% more Ah for 80% more cost?!

If you can't figure out how to strap in another battery (an upgrade!) I am sure The Princess would look at me and ask "You can't live with 4% less storage?"

Ben

Get a gas golf cart!!

Horns of a dilemma

It has been a good year for the deer and turkey which is good for my backup plan for protein but...

My sister calls to inform me coyotes have moved in to feast on the game and insist I watch and am prepared when I am in the woods on The Ridge, which is bad but...

I am prepared and can carry which is good but ....

It is illegal to discharge a firearm in the township which is bad.

Good bad
Good bad
Good bad

I will trust God that I don't have to shoot and if I do lay the fun down and call 911 to report in self defense I discharged a firearm.

Oh bother

Ben

The 215ah have very thin plates and bumps/impacts will break them off.
They are garbage.
The 225's we used in light duty equipment with great success.
We used their 232ah 'industrial' ones that you can't get unless you know 'the man' in our HD stuff. They survived unbelievable torture.

I am most curious about your 18-month lifespan. :oops:
I would bet there is a problem with your charger. (Cutoff voltage too high or never cuts off).
We have a great thread all about those here somewhere, but I can't find it.:(

Last edited:
The 215ah have very thin plates and bumps/impacts will break them off.
They are garbage.
The 225's we used in light duty equipment with great success.
We used their 232ah 'industrial' ones that you can't get unless you know 'the man' in our HD stuff. They survived unbelievable torture.

I am most curious about your 18-month lifespan. :oops:
I would bet there is a problem with your charger. (Cutoff voltage too high or never cuts off).
We have a great thread all about those here somewhere, but I can't find it.:(
Now that is a horse of a different color.

Ben

I've been doing some digging and researching. And the consensus is to buy 3 deep cycle 12v batteries. That itself will take off 255 pounds, and they will contain the heavy plates. It is essentially plug and play.
That will greatly shorten it's range.
If it only makes short trips with frequent charge cycles, it won't be a problem.
Do the math with amps hours at 36 volts with both setups to see.
If it only goes a mile from the house and back, it will be just fine. :thumbs:

Here's a 12v 225ah battery. It weighs 132 lbs. It is equivalent to 2 of the 6-volt batteries:
SPRE-12-225-2.png

Edit: Been there, slung a bunch of those around in the past :(.

Last edited:
So, I have a hard time getting through to people and get stuck on hold a lot when trying to call the dealership that worked on my truck (which is still making weird noises). I think I mentioned they charged me for oil that I provided. So I payed for oil twice. Was so busy I didn't get back up there until yesterday. I walk to the cashier and tell her the issue. She tells me I have to speak with the guy who handled my truck. I went to him and he said "Look at the date on this!" I said "I has not even been 30 days yet". I didn't mention that people generally have 60 days for a chargeback. I showed him where the description says "customer provided oil and filter" and then the part where they charged for oil. He said he wasn't able to issue a refund and that it was unlikely I could get one after waiting "so long" and that I would have to speak to the manager. I asked where the manager was. He had gone home already supposedly. Then said I could talk to him tomorrow between 7:30 and 9:30. Said I could call to talk to him. I called, got put on hold, then got voicemail.

Can I request a partial chargeback on something with my credit card to dispute? It's not like I'm returning a part or complaining about the work. They acknowledge that they used oil I provided and I have the canister in the truck and the proof in the notes. I really don't get them disputing this when they know they overcharged me and it's not unreasonable to want my $ back.

If they refuse, next step is to tell them I'll report it to the BBB. I will also go to the credit card company for chargeback. Furthermore, my wheels are still making weird noises, they never addressed one of the things I asked them to diagnose, & I need to have their work evaluated by someone else to make sure they did it properly. I think they believe that since I'm female they can walk all over me. I'm going to call back again and ask if they can find this manager in the office for me so I can speak to him. I hate to be the "I want to speak to your manager" person, but I have a valid reason. I paid $40 for the oil in the store and they charged me $40 for using my own oil. This is so annoying!

Havasu, I hope you can find some better batteries for a decent price.

Got feedback on my review of Turbo-tax from Amazon, you are not allowed to speak negatively about the company that you are reviewing, review declined....

Now that makes me feel so much better about the reviews I see on Amazon....

@Biggkidd on the "How I'm combatting rising fuel prices with solar." thread has been talking about how he switched his golf cart system over to the LifePo4 batteries. He said that they were lighter and gave him more range. I would check with him about his experience and see how it fits your situation.

In what safe, easy to find place did I put the 28 inch barrel for the Mossberg 500? ARRRGGGGG
Probably the same place where you left the 500's pistol grip, if you'd bought the two-barrel option from Mossberg!

I was just cleaning out my garage box and I found the 28-incher I hadn't seen for a couple of years. So...I went to the bang-market and bought a little bottle of Cold Bluing to see if I can make it look good again....

...and no, the pistol grip is long gone LOL!

@Biggkidd on the "How I'm combatting rising fuel prices with solar." thread has been talking about how he switched his golf cart system over to the LifePo4 batteries. He said that they were lighter and gave him more range. I would check with him about his experience and see how it fits your situation.
I saw a you tube video last night where they used a 48 Volt solar panel storage battery. It was pretty simple swap out, but the parts alone were $2200.

I saw a you tube video last night where they used a 48 Volt solar panel storage battery. It was pretty simple swap out, but the parts alone were $2200.
I bought 4 100AH 12 volt LifePo4 batteries on amazon for under $300 each, ($1200 total) delivered. I know @Biggkidd got some pretty interesting results, but he is solar charging his batteries. I would talk to him....

Latest posts

Back