Rant for the Day (keep it clean)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One Thursday I started vomiting, thought I had the flu.

Sunday morning wife drove me to the emergency room. Gall stone and a diseased gall bladder. I was told that Sunday afternoon they would run a tube down my throat to remove the blockage and clean out the "sludge". While I was still under anesthesia they would remove my gall blander by laparoscopic surgery. Didn't happen, then I was told it would be Monday morning.

Monday at 4 PM they came and got me. OK a day late I'll accept that. When I woke up in the recovery room I learned they only preformed the first procedure of removing the blockage. My gall blander surgery was now scheduled for Tuesday. I haven't eaten for 4 days! And now they want to make it 5?!?

Late Monday night I got a roommate. Roommate had previously had a heart, 8 shunts installed in his arteries and part of one lung removed. He had woke up at home in extreme pain to discover his left left leg was almost black. Lack of blood flow the Doctors said and they were planning on amputating the leg. Within a 1/2 hour they had him in surgury. Surgeon tapped into my roommates right leg artery and ran a tube over to the left leg artery and it appeared they saved the leg.

While I was overhearing the conversations about my roommate I wondered how more serious (then me) patients may have taken priority over me for a surgery room? Or a Doctor? Or an Anesthesiologist? Or Nurse? Which could have delayed my surgery? Thank God my health isn't that of my former roommate!

I don't know what problems your Pharmacy had. Perhaps they did check the computer inventory for your medicine before giving you the 1 to 1 1/2 hour wait? Then learned later when they went to fill your prescription the computer inventory was off? Perhaps they called another Pharmacy to try to get the drug they needed for you? Or they made a simple mistake? I know of only one perfect person and they crucified Him.

Bank Teller hung up her phone as she motioned me to be next. She appeared to be 10 months pregnant and tears started rolling down her checks as she waited on me. She didn't talk and made several mistakes as she processed my withdrawal. Bad news from the phone call? She wasn't wearing a wedding ring, boy friend said "no thanks"? Hormones? Just a unusually bad day?

Outright rude employee, yes a nice talk with a Manager is in order. But just because life didn't go our way is no reason (IMHO) to declare WW III.

Angry, and justifiable so… Since the first week of November I’ve dropped off and picked up several dozen prescriptions for my parents at WM in the little town. There always seems to be some kind of issue. On less than 5 occasions there has been no problem of any kind. Those were for me. I only take two meds, both are common for folks over 50 and cheap.
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

But just because life didn't go our way is no reason (IMHO) to declare WW III.

Ahh! I see, you've missed the point. This isn't about something as trivial as not getting my way.

This is about a gigantic corporation that's put a few small pharmacies out of business and replaced them with a pitiful excuse for simple customer service.

On every single visit to that pharmacy since last November I've witnessed customer after customer being treated just as I have been. There is always of line of angry helpless customers.

Unlike most of their other customers who are helpless to make a real change, I have the time for WWIII and experience taking on such a company treating their customers in this manner. Tighten the right screw and change happens. ;)

I just have to find the right screw.

Last edited:
It wasn't the wait... It was the fact they knew they couldn't fill the prescription and THEN made me wait over 2hrs to tell me.
Oh they had the 3 pills in the bottle in 15 minutes.
They just had to play 'spin-the-bottle' for 2 hours to see who had to hand the grumpy ol' man the bottle:D.
My drugstore:
539691_485614084808132_1026780375_n.jpg

Ie: Not Walmart.
When I walk in to pick up a refill, they don't ask my name, they already know it. And if my wife has some ready, they tell me so I can pick them up too, saving a trip.:)
The insurance co-pay is the same anywhere, so I go to the place that doesn't suck.:D

I keep telling my wife that I like jam better than jelly.
So what does she make every year with our blackberries.... ?

Jelly.

Try spreading jelly on a fresh slice of bread.
Now spread some jam on a fresh slice of bread .

Now tell me what happens.

Now you know why I like jam better.

I just spent 20 minutes making a PB and j e l l y sandwich...and tore a hole in the bread.

Geeeze..jam , not jelly.

Jim

I keep telling my wife that I like jam better than jelly.
So what does she make every year with our blackberries.... ?

Jelly.

Try spreading jelly on a fresh slice of bread.
Now spread some jam on a fresh slice of bread .

Now tell me what happens.

Now you know why I like jam better.

I just spent 20 minutes making a PB and j e l l y sandwich...and tore a hole in the bread.

Geeeze..jam , not jelly.

Jim

Help her make it next time so you can remind her. I prefer preserves but will eat the other 2.

Help her make it next time so you can remind her. I prefer preserves but will eat the other 2.

I do help her, but it's jelly or nothing.

Preserves ....ha!
( We do make pear preserves)
That's my favorite.. but I try just settling for jam, that's as close as I'll get to blackberry preserves.

Jim

I do help her, but it's jelly or nothing.

Preserves ....ha!
( We do make pear preserves)
That's my favorite.. but I try just settling for jam, that's as close as I'll get to blackberry preserves.

Jim

I don't have any blackberries or I'd make you some. :huggs: I just have strawberries and blueberries planted. And concord grapes. I love grape jelly!

I hate it when I forget things, especially things I used to do so often I could do them in my sleep! (to exaggerate a bit).

In the late 90's I had a certification for microsoft's networking and server software named "NT" software (MCSE).

I was coauthor of the networking course taught to field engineers by my last employer... which covered unix and a half dozen extinct operating systems.

Since I now have a laptop I got a little netgear wifi router to set up my home network... How hard can it be right! dead horse

Wireless instead of cable, simple?

I did manage to run and ethernet cable to the router and get online with my desktop... obviously, I'm posting this.

Just can't seem to change all the passwords/security features on the router. I did update the firmware.

Haven't started on the laptop yet... think I'll beat this dead horse a while longer... It's therapeutic!drink buddy

I like jelly , strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, blackberry, cherry....

But for PB and jelly sandwich , it's gotta be jam or preserves for easy spreading.

Jim

Phideaux: Buy your own. End of problem. Buy a years worth.

To paraphrase from the comedian Sinbad talking to the women in the audience about men.

Sinbad: What don't you like?
Audience : He forgets things. He forgot my birthday.
Sinbad: He forgot your birthday?
Audience: Yes.
Sinbad: Next year buy yourself something. Buy yourself a car. He won't forget again.

Phideaux: Buy your own. End of problem. Buy a years worth.

To paraphrase from the comedian Sinbad talking to the women in the audience about men.

Sinbad: What don't you like?
Audience : He forgets things. He forgot my birthday.
Sinbad: He forgot your birthday?
Audience: Yes.
Sinbad: Next year buy yourself something. Buy yourself a car. He won't forget again.

I don't know anybody that makes jam.

Ever tried store bought after having nothing but homemade all your life.
Puke Throw Up Sticker by Emoji.gif
Jim

Well I guess you have a choice. Crumby store bought jam, or home made jelly. I have not been spoiled with the home made stuff, so I guess ignorance is bliss. People would say that about me (the ignorance part) when it comes to a lot of things.

That brand is Amish Wedding. But there's a common brand called Mrs. Millers. Lots of jams and egg noodles. My favorite cousin is named Miller, so I like to buy her a jar or this or that and tell her that it's hers. Her daughter married a Miller from another state. I think it's funny she didn't have to change her last name. Also, the daughter and family live in the big house and her mom and dad live in the little house (Doddy house), and they call each other Mrs. Miller.

Responding about jellies. I've been to the LDS Bishop's Storehouse many times, but I don't go much any more because I have lots of preps from them now. They have food that is not on their list from time to time. I've gotten cases of canned applesauce, pears, peaches, tomato and mushroom soup, and lots of jellies. It was a matter of walking in at the time they had it and getting it before someone else did. I can imagine I have missed some stuff as well. I don't remember what kind of jellies that I got, but it was odd berries that I had never had before. It was good stuff. I think one was logan berry.

@phideaux , when I use peanut butter, it is usually on toast. I wonder if toasting your bread would help your bread not to tear from jelly? I've never had a problem with my bread tearing. I would actually think the peanut butter would cause your bread to tear as much as the jelly would.

I buy their jams at a little produce market in the big town. My life has been very fluid for a while now so planning is hard... but I've been wanting to place a big order from Troyer farms. They have several items I'd like to try, any order over $50 and the shipping is free. Buying directly from them is also cheaper than buying from the little market.

Stir that PB up by hand , it's soooo smooth and creamy , it just spreads itself , and lays there waiting for some good old saucy smoothe JAM..
:ghostly:
Jim
Try stirring up the jelly in the jar before putting on your sandwich - will make it easier to make your sandwich. If anybody says anything, just say it's because you like the consistency of j a m :)

I don't have any blackberries or I'd make you some. :huggs: I just have strawberries and blueberries planted. And concord grapes. I love grape jelly!
Back when the world and I were young, my sister and brother and I used to drive into the hills to a place we knew where wild purple grapes grew along side the road. Fox grapes, we called them. Too bitter to eat from the vine, but the jelly was - was really, really good.
Rats. How come a great memory makes my heart ache?

where wild purple grapes grew along side the road. Fox grapes, we called them. Too bitter to eat from the vine, but the jelly was - was really, really good.

A few species grow here in the south, sometimes called fox grapes but usually called possum grapes... To bitter to eat unless you wait until after the first frost... then they are really sweet. :)

Last edited:
A few species grow here in the south, sometimes called fox grapes but usually called possum grapes... To bitter to eat unless you wait until after the first frost... then they are really sweet. :)
Possum grapes. Are prolific on my place.
Every year I INTEND to gather enough for making jelly.
Every year the critters beat me to them.
I don't know how they get to them hanging way out off a limb, but they do.

Yes possum grapes and persimmons get real sweet and tasty after frost.

Jim

Latest posts

Back