Rant for the Day (keep it clean)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best trackball mouse I ever used was made by logitech, late 90's - 01. Large ball, same size as std kensington, 4 button. Out of the blue they quit making, grumble, grumble... the ball was in a housing accessed from both sides, not the top, thumb, middle finger on the sides. It was the most ergonomic trackball I've ever used. It was great for gaming also, fingers, wrist never got tired even after hours.

Edit: I found photo's of the logitech trackman marble fx... was so bummed when they quit making it. Looking back the 3 buttons next to my thumb was also a great feature.

Also, was looking at some of the new trackballs on amerzit tonight. Several of them are 8 button, interesting.

logitch trackman fx 01 (1).jpg
logitch trackman fx 01 (4).jpg

Last edited:
Be careful what you wish for. Sometimes the boonies can be a pain. I was notified that some canning lids were in stock at a small town about 1.5 hrs away via the back roads. I was going to pick some up for some of my new neighbors as well.

I have to take the back road to get to this town, because to go the other way, I first have to take a detour due to a bridge washout to a a little town where I can get on the highway to get to the town I actually want to get to. This would take 2.5 hrs one way.

Anyways, I start off going the shorter scenic way and make it 43 minutes down the road when, you guessed it, I hit a road closure due to it being washed out. Get turned around and end up back home in another 45 minutes. No jar lids for me.

Be careful what you wish for. Sometimes the boonies can be a pain. I was notified that some canning lids were in stock at a small town about 1.5 hrs away via the back roads. I was going to pick some up for some of my new neighbors as well.

I have to take the back road to get to this town, because to go the other way, I first have to take a detour due to a bridge washout to a a little town where I can get on the highway to get to the town I actually want to get to. This would take 2.5 hrs one way.

Anyways, I start off going the shorter scenic way and make it 43 minutes down the road when, you guessed it, I hit a road closure due to it being washed out. Get turned around and end up back home in another 45 minutes. No jar lids for me.
If it rained you could not get to or leave my grandparents ranch. Clay is not good to drive in when it is wet. Rainy days meant the guys mostly played cribbage or cards.

The best trackball mouse I ever used was made by logitech, late 90's - 01. Large ball, same size as std kensington, 4 button. Out of the blue they quit making, grumble, grumble... the ball was in a housing accessed from both sides, not the top, thumb, middle finger on the sides. It was the most ergonomic trackball I've ever used. It was great for gaming also, fingers, wrist never got tired even after hours.

Edit: I found photo's of the logitech trackman marble fx... was so bummed when they quit making it. Looking back the 3 buttons next to my thumb was also a great feature.

Also, was looking at some of the new trackballs on amerzit tonight. Several of them are 8 button, interesting.

View attachment 62596View attachment 62597
I am on the Kensington Expert Trackball side..

I started using them in 1999 with old analog version until this day. I wore the buttons but was able to swap the bad ones with the used buttons. Even then I wore out 6 or more.

The trackballs decouple positioning from button presses. The large ball has enough inertia I can throw the cursor the direction I desired. The only drawback was when I would carry the trackballs into a site and the ball would fall out and had to chase the ball across a parking lot.

The only better one I used was the ANSPS-58a radar which used a steel ball with a lot of mass.

Ben

My rant of the day is that this time of year I wish I lived in sixth floor apartment somewhere and the biggest chore I had was vacuuming 400 square feet of carpet.

Spring....when all the projects that where waiting for you all winter under the snow emerge and you realize once again that by the time you get caught up and could do something fun with your time now that the snow is melted....it will be time to start getting ready for it to snow again....

My rant of the day is that this time of year I wish I lived in sixth floor apartment somewhere and the biggest chore I had was vacuuming 400 square feet of carpet.

Spring....when all the projects that where waiting for you all winter under the snow emerge and you realize once again that by the time you get caught up and could do something fun with your time now that the snow is melted....it will be time to start getting ready for it to snow again....
Don't come to Louisiana!!!!
You will realize that you have wasted most of your life shoveling stupid snow that will be gone in July anyway, and hiding from the weather.
Not only that, but we have 10 months out of each year that you can do anything/project you want.
We live a full life, not staring at the calendar waiting for 'freedom-day' to finally show up. :(

My house has been invaded by fruit flies!!! Hate those little suckers. It's barely April! Who ever heard of such a thing!!

I think it was a combo of 2 weeks of warm weather then a cold snap! The little suckers are everywhere. I've been pouring a little splash of bleach into each drain after every use. Today I made 5 jar traps, using some old strawberries and apple cider vinegar as bait. Not the first time I've fought off such an invasion, just a pain in doing it. I have to out last their breeding cycle while not letting them reproduce.

Supervisor, you must live in a different part of Louisiana. The past several years it's been too hot out for too much of the year and the mosquitoes are absolutely crazy. It got warm for a couple days & mosquitoes went whole hog on my legs & arms. But, I also have medical conditions and such where I can't be in heat or direct sunlight. The colder weather has been refreshing (not counting that winter storm).

I have to agree with the comment upthread about rude people in stores. When I was picking up the toilet tank (the one that turned out to be broken), another customer stormed over, shoved me with her cart, interrupted me, and started yelling at the clerk. She was an elderly lady so I refrained from slapping her. I stepped back in front of her between the clerk & the counter & told her "She's helping me right now". Lady glared at me & started yelling again. I cut her off and told her that her problem was a shipping error & not the clerk's fault & that I understood why she was frustrated-- the shippers had screwed up and not sent several of my items before as well-- but that the clerk was not responsible & she needed to stop yelling at her and she needed to wait a moment because the clerk was doing something. She did stop yelling, but she was really crabby & demanded a supervisor. Clerk was new and did not speak English very well (she sounded like she was from Haiti).

Supervisor, you must live in a different part of Louisiana. The past several years it's been too hot out for too much of the year and the mosquitoes are absolutely crazy. It got warm for a couple days & mosquitoes went whole hog on my legs & arms. But, I also have medical conditions and such where I can't be in heat or direct sunlight. The colder weather has been refreshing (not counting that winter storm)...
We live on the outskirts of a small city and they are outstanding at spraying for skeeters.
I usually only get about 4 or 5 bites per year.
As far as being hot, the ideal outside temp for me is 93° (this unit is liquid-cooled
Toast.gif
).
I don't consider it 'hot' until it hits 99°.
You will also see me wearing a jacket if the temp gets below 70°.
If it gets below 50°, hibernation occurs. :oops:

We live on the outskirts of a small city and they are outstanding at spraying for skeeters.
I usually only get about 4 or 5 bites per year.
As far as being hot, the ideal outside temp for me is 93° (this unit is liquid-cooledView attachment 62833).
I don't consider it 'hot' until it hits 99°.
You will also see me wearing a jacket if the temp gets below 70°.
If it gets below 50°, hibernation occurs. :oops:
I'm just the opposite. I can get more done in the cold months than the hot ones.
Anything over 80° is hot for me. I try to avoid physical activities above that temp.
If the sun is shining and there's no wind, I'm happy to work (in a T-shirt) at 45-55°. Cloudy or windy, I may have a sweatshirt on below 55°.

I'm just the opposite. I can get more done in the cold months than the hot ones.
Anything over 80° is hot for me. I try to avoid physical activities above that temp.
If the sun is shining and there's no wind, I'm happy to work (in a T-shirt) at 45-55°. Cloudy or windy, I may have a sweatshirt on below 55°.
I'm pretty much same way. Ill work hard no matter how cold. But one it hits 80 it just takes the wind outta my sails

Anything over 70 is too warm for me. LOL. Ok, I can handle 74 if the air is blowing on me.

There are sort of swamplands around me so the mosquitoes get bad. Mosquitoes, gnats, f***bugs (aka lovebugs), and now the damn stinging nettles are growing. I want to take a flamethrower to them.

Anything over 70 is too warm for me. LOL. Ok, I can handle 74 if the air is blowing on me.

There are sort of swamplands around me so the mosquitoes get bad. Mosquitoes, gnats, f***bugs (aka lovebugs), and now the damn stinging nettles are growing. I want to take a flamethrower to them.
My eldest likes stinging nettles for some bizarre reason. Go figure!

Ben

Don't come to Louisiana!!!!
You will realize that you have wasted most of your life shoveling stupid snow that will be gone in July anyway, and hiding from the weather.
Not only that, but we have 10 months out of each year that you can do anything/project you want.
We live a full life, not staring at the calendar waiting for 'freedom-day' to finally show up. :(
Two words wht SW PA is preferred.

No cottonmouths.

Ben

Nope, that ain't enough data.
She giggles at the strange sensation?

It is not as if she rubs them on herself or whatnot.

She seems to enjoy the effect of the basic chemistry on the skin.

They don't bother me much unless I am silly enough to try and clear a path using naked forearms ...

What info do you desire?

Ben

She giggles at the strange sensation?

It is not as if she rubs them on herself or whatnot.

She seems to enjoy the effect of the basic chemistry on the skin.

They don't bother me much unless I am silly enough to try and clear a path using naked forearms ...

What info do you desire?

Ben
Well, are you sure she isn't a martian pretending to be your kid?
Once while hiking in the woods, I tripped on a root and fell into a bed of nettles, I don't recall giggling.

We got offers to switch to T-Mobile but they don't have any towers within 30 miles of us. Only one that has service in our area is AT&T. They really suck, but it's all we have. My brother was talking about how different it is in Japan. Most of the buildings there have some sort of antenna/amplifier so the cellphone service is solid & the prices are very low. Friends in Europe have told me that the cellphone prices are very low there as well. I think my friend in France said it was 30 euros a month for unlimited. Internet is cheaper there too. Satellite TV and internet are so expensive out here it's crazy. Even landlines are high. They doubled my landline bill for no apparent reason. Went from $30 to $60 without explanation. It was bundled with our cell service but even though it's charged on the same bill, we don't get the bundle discount anymore.

We got offers to switch to T-Mobile but they don't have any towers within 30 miles of us. Only one that has service in our area is AT&T. They really suck, but it's all we have. My brother was talking about how different it is in Japan. Most of the buildings there have some sort of antenna/amplifier so the cellphone service is solid & the prices are very low. Friends in Europe have told me that the cellphone prices are very low there as well. I think my friend in France said it was 30 euros a month for unlimited. Internet is cheaper there too. Satellite TV and internet are so expensive out here it's crazy. Even landlines are high. They doubled my landline bill for no apparent reason. Went from $30 to $60 without explanation. It was bundled with our cell service but even though it's charged on the same bill, we don't get the bundle discount anymore.
The Princess has settled on Cricket.

She upgraded our phones to 5G got new phones and saved money in the process.

She conciders afield and she buyeth it.

Ben

Back