Rant for the Day (keep it clean)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Magus, that sounds like small town BS that gets spread. Not sure if your "friends" actually believe it or if they go along with things to not get accused of being something bad. That is pretty awful for people to say stuff like that, but I've found it's common when you have ignorant people spouting off. It's part of the reason I only have a handful of friends in real life and most are online. I've been the subject of rumors as well, but I'm at the point where I don't give a damn. A friend of mine had some of the harmful rumors spread about him-- stuff that prevented him from getting jobs in town even though the rumors were false.
I'm sorry to hear you have PTSD. That can make it worse when you're surrounded by ignorant idiots who have nothing better to do than spread malicious rumors. It also sounds like the kinds of rumors children would spread-- the kinds of bs people spread about me in middle school-- so it sounds like those people never grew up.

On the solar battery thing, $30k is insane. I hope you can get a free replacement due to a recall. I hate when companies discontinue a product and try to force you to upgrade to something new. My former ISP tried to do that to us. We found a new ISP and told them to take a hike.

FedEx! They constantly mark packages delivered when they aren't. Hubby was home all day, working on our driveway even and there are no packages but they are marked as delivered at 4:00. 😡🤬
We have three FedEx drivers! One is nicknamed "smarty pants", he actually does it right! One is "doppleganger Rudy' because he looks like someone we know named Rudy. The third is "pissy sloth"!!! He is slow, late, and pees at our gate😳! YEP, always looks up and down the road before he pulls it out to pee, but never looks up the driveway☹️👎! At least the package is out of the truck before his package is in his hand! GROSS!

That stinks @Terri9630
We aren’t fans of them either. They have it in the system to return to sender every package shipped to us via them. They claim it’s not on their end. Apparently ALL companies we ship with are in it together to ship to us only to have fedex return to sender. But only with fedex. All other carriers are good. 🤷🏻‍♀️

We had a good guy last summer, and the kids would bring him out an ice cream bar or a cookie when he came up the drive. Now we have three different ones. One is lazy guy. Tried to drop off a huge heavy box at our mailbox at the road. Then he looked up and saw me in the yard. So he picked up the box and walked it down the driveway and up the walkway. Then walked all the way back. One is a lady who is just fine. Sets the boxes next to the door and leaves two milkbones for the doggos.

Sick of stubbing my toes. This time, a metal chair leg. Last time, last year, I dropped a book on same toe with shoes on. Couldn't bend it for months and still couldn't bend it right or all the way, and now this.
Ya know, a lot of people don't like ya to wear shoes in their house, so I was respecting that. It hurts bad. Took acetaminophen. Iced it. My foot and toes are slightly swollen and can't really move any of my toes. I don't have insurance this time. Lesson learned: Forget about taking shoes off while inside.

Sick of stubbing my toes. This time, a metal chair leg. Last time, last year, I dropped a book on same toe with shoes on. Couldn't bend it for months and still couldn't bend it right or all the way, and now this.
Ya know, a lot of people don't like ya to wear shoes in their house, so I was respecting that. It hurts bad. Took acetaminophen. Iced it. My foot and toes are slightly swollen and can't really move any of my toes. I don't have insurance this time. Lesson learned: Forget about taking shoes off while inside.
Shoes on!! Texas, how have you not been bitten by spiders or stung by scorpions, GRASS YRS👎! I was hoping we could go walking!

The hotel I'm staying at this week won't service the rooms for the duration of my week long stay. Towels? Get them at the desk. Trash bags? Same thing. Want the sheets changed? Ask for fresh linens and change them yourself. Their excuse is, "We don't want to expose our staff to Covid". Yeah, bullsh*t! You just don't want to pay anybody to clean rooms. The price sure as hell didn't go down. $83 per night to take out my own garbage? 🤬

The hotel I'm staying at this week won't service the rooms for the duration of my week long stay. Towels? Get them at the desk. Trash bags? Same thing. Want the sheets changed? Ask for fresh linens and change them yourself. Their excuse is, "We don't want to expose our staff to Covid". Yeah, bullsh*t! You just don't want to pay anybody to clean rooms. The price sure as hell didn't go down. $83 per night to take out my own garbage? 🤬
Yeah, that's crap! Bull poopey!

That happened to us July 2020 in Denver. They don't come in your room for anything. We were at a Marriot and if you wanted soap or towels, you had to come to the desk and get them yourself. Throw the trash bags and dirty towels out your door.
Count me strange but...

I don't want anyone in my room.

Ben

Count me strange but...

I don't want anyone in my room.

Ben
I get what you're saying, but I stay in hotels for 7, 8, even 9 out of every 15 days. I'm paying for the room, I want somebody to take care of stuff. It's a little different if I get a great rate on the room - a year ago I got a suite with a sofa, full size kitchen table and a full size fridge for $79/night, in a hotel with a fully equipped exercise room, a bar & grill, and a Waterpark. For that kind of deal, I'll get my own towels. But not for $83/night in the equivalent to a Super 8...

Shoes on!! Texas, how have you not been bitten by spiders or stung by scorpions, GRASS YRS👎! I was hoping we could go walking!
Inside, not outside. It's not as dangerous inside most houses I've lived in here in Texas. Geckos, anoles, one very small snake, and two scorpions inside. Spiders, not so much. Kitty takes care of the spiders. I always wear shoes outside in Texas. What are you talking about?

The hotel we stayed at when the kid had surgery was similar. They only came in once the week we were there, the afternoon of her procedure and they wanted me to wake her up so they could change the sheets. 🤬

Inside, not outside. It's not as dangerous inside most houses I've lived in here in Texas. Geckos, anoles, one very small snake, and two scorpions inside. Spiders, not so much. Kitty takes care of the spiders. I always wear shoes outside in Texas. What are you talking about?

I wear them inside too. I've stepped on more than one sticker that was tracked in. Not fun!!

You guys got fire ants down there. That's enough to keep me away. I can deal with all those other things, but fire ants are little demons from hell...

You guys got fire ants down there. That's enough to keep me away. I can deal with all those other things, but fire ants are little demons from hell...
this is true.
I wear them inside too. I've stepped on more than one sticker that was tracked in. Not fun!!
it's no fun! Dog is good at getting them out of her own paws.

My ex-ex step mother used to say that even the devil was scared of fire ants.

My ex-ex step mother used to say that even the devil was scared of fire ants.
In '04 my ex took me down to Texas where she grew up. We visited her best friend in College Station. It was 95°, and had just rained a ton. There was ankle deep standing water in the yard, and I walked through it wearing sandals. I'm from Iowa, and there's nothing in Iowa like fire ants. Who knew that fire ants can float around in the water? They tore my ankles up, and my ex said it was hilarious to see me hopping around, splashing all over trying to get all the ants off my legs...

In '04 my ex took me down to Texas where she grew up. We visited her best friend in College Station. It was 95°, and had just rained a ton. There was ankle deep standing water in the yard, and I walked through it wearing sandals. I'm from Iowa, and there's nothing in Iowa like fire ants. Who knew that fire ants can float around in the water? They tore my ankles up, and my ex said it was hilarious to see me hopping around, splashing all over trying to get all the ants off my legs...

You hit a floating mound? Your luck all they got was your legs.

If it were me.....
I would get clean sheets and towels every day, whether I changed them or not. I know people that take all the towels and bedding at the end of their stay and place them in the bathtub, that is there way of checking to make sure something important didn't get lost in the bathroom or in the bedding. Now, if the bathtub was full of water when you placed a weeks worth or bedding in there ........ :ghostly:

I would get the trash bags every day and stack them in the corner, but before checking out dump the contents into and over the trash can and all over the floor and let them take the trash out.
I wouldn't purposely damage anything but I would make it known that they caused the problem and they can deal with it.

You are supposed to get service with a room. If the price doesn't drop that doesn't mean their work load should drop.

Oh no! I feel for ya!
I had a cow stomp my toe 8 plus months ago. Still can’t bend it. Still hurts when I try. Couple days ago was cutting and stacking wood for a disabled uncle and dropped a very large log on that same toe. It was a rough few days/nights. It’s pretty colors though 🤷🏻‍♀️I swear after the first injury to it things just jump out to get it.
Hope you recover quickly and stop stubbing it!

Fire ants suck. Their only natural predator is some sort of fly with a very short lifespan. They are kept under control in their country of origin, but they run rampant here. I hate them!

My friends mom is incredibly stupid. She can't hold down a job but she does odd jobs like cleaning houses. She's cleaning out a house that has asbestos tiles right now. She's going to clear the tiles out herself. I won't be surprised if she tries to dump stuff with asbestos on them at my friend's house later.

As an aside, there was a funny moment the other day when my friend's grandfather drove on the wrong ****** side of the street to roll up in front of his house, lay on the horn, and started shouting a mannequin in the front yard because he thought it was my friend. Everyone on the porch just stared at him (except my brother who completely ignored him).

You hit a floating mound? Your luck all they got was your legs.
My ex told me that they will form a bunch of ants into a little ball and float, and they will spin the ball around in the water so no ants are under water long enough to drown. I'm not sure if that's true or not but I do know that I walked through water for at least 25 feet, and suddenly I had a couple dozen fire ants on my ankles. I though somebody was injecting acid into my skin. I never want to experience that again!

You said a mouth full! I've dealt with them my whole life. The worst... for years we had an old vemeer round baler, worn out. When tying off a roll of hay it'd sometimes break the twine. I'd have to crawl under the baler and re-feed the twine from the spool to the end of the tie rods. On my back under the baler, 100 degrees, hay down my shirt. I can't count the number of times I slid on to a fire ant bed under the hay. I've stripped naked before in the middle of a field to the the ants off... I hate fire ants!

I've baled hay in this field... those bumps are fire ant beds.

Ants a  (2).jpg

You said a mouth full! I've dealt with them my whole life. The worst... for years we had an old vemeer round baler, worn out. When tying off a roll of hay it'd sometimes break the twine. I'd have to crawl under the baler and re-feed the twine from the spool to the end of the tie rods. On my back under the baler, 100 degrees, hay down my shirt. I can't count the number of times I slid on to a fire ant bed under the hay. I've stripped naked before in the middle of a field to the the ants off... I hate fire ants!

I've baled hay in this field... those bumps are fire ant beds.

View attachment 74154
Places like that are why God invented gasoline and matches...

Back