Rant for the Day (keep it clean)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't needed to visit a junkyard in recent years, but back when I lived in San Diego, it was great to have that option for picking up parts. I'd go to Ecology Auto Wrecking and walk around till I found the make & model I needed, and just remove whatever parts I wanted. Heckuva lot cheaper than buying new parts, that's for sure. I remember when I bashed an oil pan on the Olds while offroading, it slammed into a rock in a slight dip in the dirt road, and the pan cracked so it started leaking oil. I went to Ecology and found a pan from a similar model, same bolt pattern and everything... it only cost around $20, so I was stylin' once I swapped out the old one, lol. :cool:

P.S. That was a hard hit when I bashed that pan, lol... the Olds bottomed out at 50 m.p.h. and left a scar on the rock. :oops:

Pearl, I've never heard of those. I doubt they would deliver them out to my area. I can ask the vet's office if they know of anything like that. The cow moves so slow that she should be easy to catch if someone can rope her, but I don't want her getting hurt.

Lazy L, that is so incredibly frustrating. I hate when other people have no regard for your time. My friend's grandfather is like that. Both of his exes were like that too.

Another rant is that I helped my friend get a bunch of 2x4s for building a hallway in his house. He miscalculated and had 10 extra boards. While he was on a cruise (his sisters took him using the inheritance from their dad) his mom went over and cleaned up the porch. I should have grabbed the scrap pieces before he left but didn't think his mom would take them. We were going to use one or two and some scraps for my bathroom and she'd told my friend she put them out back behind the house. So, we go around and discover she's stolen every single one and not even left a scrap. She also stole his drywall panels.

I do not know how he turned out as well as he did with both parents being thieves and drug addicts.

@Wingnut you should start a junkyard thread. This could be a rant: Some junkyards will not let you walk around looking for what you need. They pay someone to do it.
There’s a place near us that my hubs went to a couple times to salvage a part or two.
Sigh. 😔
You just gotta know where to go!! Some are a lot better than others! There is one in particular in Ft.Worth that is very great about getting you an exact match and they thoroughly check big things like motors and tranny's. There is a huge one an hour NW of me that you can pull your own smaller parts. All the vehicles are in sections (Chevy, Ford, trucks, etc.) I love going there😃😃!!

First they're doing a project with the kiddos, then the drag queen reads and gives away free books (gag) and goodie bags. The next evening they're renting a space in the same town for their gala with all their drag queens. That's for adults, or at least I believe it is. I really don't care what the adults do, that's between themselves and God. But it ticks me off to no end when kids are exposed to these perverts. And the parents who expose their kids to it. We have a Lowes and a Home Depot in that town (Hutchinson). But there's also a True Value Hardware somewhere in the old part of that town. I can usually get stuff at the amish hardware in our town, but not things like lightbulbs that I need for the old ceiling fans. I tried them first.

I have worked on vehicles when I was young, like 30 years ago or more, but I am not going to even try that now. Husband has no clue, has never worked on cars. Last thing I fixed was the old golf cart we have. It needed a new fuel pump and I installed it. It did finally break again after a while, and I just didn't want to mess with it anymore, plus covid stopped those parts being available also, so we bought a Ranger. We bought it in 2020 and very good move. Now they cost $4000 more for the same thing, no used ones available either.
This was my family when I was growing up. They fixed all of their own cars and equipment. I have no memory of ever having anyone else ever fix anything. I took an auto maintenance class, 1 semester hour in college and that helped me to be more comfortable with changing the oil and other tune up type maintenance.

Scrap yards is where I go to get a normal sized tire to replace the worthless donut tires for our cars. When I was driving Volvo's, I would get parts at a place that only had Volvo parts. They bought cars and parted them out.

I keep driving by a car that has had a donut tire on it for a few weeks. Either it is a stolen car that was parked there, or someone just isn't driving it.

City people should stay in the city where they belong. Some newbie idiot got the whole community upset this morning (including old people). Stopping at every house telling everyone there was a “donkey” out, running down the highway.(it was only running down the highway after he chased it)

First of all… it was a “Jack” not a “donkey”. And they left off the part about bright yellow rope tied around his feet. The first step in solving a problem is describing it accurately (moron).

Instead every donkey owner in the community is out driving around looking for the wayward critter. If he’d said ‘a Jack was out’ everyone could finish their morning coffee. No one within 5 miles owns a Jack.

Then, the idiot thought he was helping… chased it out of a big field where the jack was perfectly safe (but by the road) into a neighbors garden!!! My neighbor is at the hospital with his wife. Now he’s going to lose veggies. His grand kids had to be called to get it out of the garden.

Poor Jack is scared, lost and no one is going to catch him. Herd him maybe, even that's iffy. Still don’t know who owns him. My gelding is in the pasture… Sold my last Jack 10yrs ago.

Last edited:
I had Belted Galloways. Every time someone's cows got out, the police would come to my door because a black and white cow was in the mix. I could never get them to understand the difference between a cow that looks like an oreo cookie as opposed to a Holstein or Black Baldy. Drove me nuts.

Now I live across the country in an area where the side roads are free range and cows are on the roads spring to fall. Problem solved; for me, at least.

I went to open a can of corned beef hash and the can opener wouldn't cut through for some reason. I can't even find where the blade is supposed to be. My brother had moved the can opener and it got knocked on the floor multiple times before I moved stuff around and got it to where it can't get knocked over.

Asked Mom to order a new one. Same one because I know it works. She asks me about it and then some other one. I kept repeatedly telling her the original one but she kept asking as if she hadn't heard me even though she acknowledged hearing me and there was back and forth. I kept saying "Just order the same one". "OK" and then back to "But what about..." "ARG! I already told you!" I had researched and compared and that was the one that had the best features. She does that to me all the time. She'll ask my opinion and then argue about it. Worse is when she's asking me what I want and ends up getting something else after I told her exactly what I wanted and why. I know I should be glad she's getting me something, but she doesn't friggin' listen!

So then she started muttering something about how she should get some bread and then asked me about the toaster. I said I didn't know for sure where the old toaster was and didn't know where the new one in a box was either. Then she started getting all pissy with me because I was supposed to read her mind to know she wanted toast right then. After some back and forth I got her to give me some bread after I found the old toaster. I put the bread in and tried to push the lever down. It kept popping right back up. Tried the other side. Dead. So, that toaster is busted. That is 2 appliances that are borked. So I figure there is a toast setting on the air fryer. I open the door, hear some sort of sproing sound & the door suddenly has no resistance and then won't stay closed. Something in the mechanism broke off. I looked inside with a flashlight to see if I could find what was wrong. No luck. So now the air fryer, the toaster, and the can opener are all broken within a space of 30min. We have a protection plan on it but I can't get her to get off watching Youtube videos to look it up so we can get a replacement.

I searched all over the pantry, the front room, the kitchen, and the living room for the other toaster but no luck. Now my head hurts, I feel dizzy, and I'm too tired to think straight. Mom's all pissy about me not reading her mind and not magically being able to find the other toaster that was put up to keep it safe from cats. If there wasn't literal garbage all over the place from my brother not doing his ONE chore in the house it might not be so bad. I did get a bunch of stuff cleaned up but need to lie down before I have to go get a curbside order.

I think Mom was hinting that she has an RX to pick up too.

Oh, and to add to my irritation, something we regularly bought at Walmart to eat seems to have been discontinued and is no longer on the website. It's already hard enough finding stuff she wants to eat without a hassle.

I feel you on the can opener. The best one I ever had cost a buck at DG, it still works after 20 years!
I recently bought another one just like it.

I'm more bummed about the air fryer. That will be harder to replace because we have to deal with the warranty stuff and I can use a manual can opener instead of the electric. But I really like this one because it cuts the can from the side and doesn't leave jagged sharp stuff. Makes it easier to squish the cans. I always squish anything my cats might stick their heads into. One of the cats the former owners of this house left behind died from getting his head stuck in a dog food can. Didn't even know that was a thing. The dogs had ripped the trash open & it fell out. Poor cat. Ever since then we've always squished the cans.

I was leaning forward and managed to bonk myself in the head with the door on my way out. Fortunately, everything went well on the drive. Couldn't find the stuff I wanted to for my friend's daughter's birthday so I got her a brownie. He wasn't home so I left it wrapped in plastic on the counter at his house.

I wish they made stuff to last. All of the temporary stuff that is designed to break in a few months or years is one of my pet peeves.

Somebody help me, Lori and a Realtor are looking for houses close to her horse :p

I may be DOOMED.

Although the one we will look at tomorrow isn't too hideous.
I am interested in what the photos DON'T show :)

The basement, the "outbuilding" the "enclosed front porch for storage"

And SOOO close to some great fishing :D

Last edited:
Omg today was a challenge. We have a group of buildings that are somewhat remote. We have a project that will interrupt the water supply for the summer. There will be a very limited supply for sanitation and fire suppression. The higher ups decided we should make a fire break/defensible space. So some guys show up to take a look. They realized it would require a contract that would take several months to execute. So it would be at the end of summer during the height of fire season when they start. In other words the worst possible time to bring in weed eaters, chainsaws and wood chippers. Oh and as a bonus we wouldn't have any water to fight a fire. You can't make this stuff up. The challenge was not saying anything and letting them figure it out.

This is my go-to buddy.
I love it because you can open a big can of beans, snap the top back on and stick it in the fridge :thumbs:.
https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-76606ZA-Automatic-Standard-Size/dp/B00T4RH8E6?th=1
81XnuXLdAHL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Opening cans for 15 years, still works flawlessly, and only $32 today :thumbs:.
(And for my prepper friends, yes I still have a hand-crank one.... in mint-condition :rolleyes:).

Last edited:
I worked in a coffee processing plant, where we would open dent cans to recycle the coffee. This was the can openers we used & I rebuild the cutter systems many times.
1686130277110.png

I love those Oreo cows. There's a number of them in our area. They look distinctly different from the Holsteins, a huge black and white cow, so it would crack me up if someone couldn't tell the difference.
So...lol I don't know what a Oreo cow is either....I do know what a Holstein looks like ( my aunt had a few when I was growing up)

Latest posts

Back