RATIONING Food.......??? "PLUS" Digital Currency = Total Control.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
So once the U.S. Dollar becomes insanely worthless, and the U.S. Digital Eagle is the "only" currency. Guess who will "stop" this silly prepping for "Anything".

Amazon has for 16 or 18 months been controlling much of my food purchases. I am only allowed to purchase many food things in restricted quantity (often (4) Four limit). I wait till those are shipped and reorder....."Sorry" you have reached your limit. I wait till they are delivered and in my storage, then reorder......."Sorry" you have reached your limit, "Take that OUT of your cart....Now".

Just wait till 100% of what you want to purchase, and how much you can have in reserve, is 100% beyond your control. I guess my point is that if you believe that is possible, maybe hoarding stocks and bonds and any place one parks money, might be more prudently parked in supplies you actually have control of.

That's a big pain in the butt you have to put up with that, Sourdough. Aldi had limits on some things this week, but if I'm really annoyed I can find another store. Most of the stuff we get shipped to the house is Sams Club items. Just got in lots more coffee, more tp, ziplocks. Otherwise its a 45 min drive to Sams. But we do that now and again.
And you're right...limits, and digital currency, you're living that right now. Grow and raise what you can. Put away all that you can. That's all you can do. But I'd still order the limits, too, if that's all you can do.

That's a big pain in the butt you have to put up with that, Sourdough. Aldi had limits on some things this week, but if I'm really annoyed I can find another store. Most of the stuff we get shipped to the house is Sams Club items. Just got in lots more coffee, more tp, ziplocks. Otherwise its a 45 min drive to Sams. But we do that now and again.
And you're right...limits, and digital currency, you're living that right now. Grow and raise what you can. Put away all that you can. That's all you can do. But I'd still order the limits, too, if that's all you can do.
The Mrs has been diligently purchasing about 10% more than we need for many months.
No restrictions, no limits.
Since we're hurricainers, we always keep 2-3 months of essentials on hand, anyway.:)
Our problem is, we are running out of room to put 'stuff'. :mad:

I don't remember when (if ever) I purchased granulated "White" sugar. If ever it was many decades ago. So I am often looking for food with a near forever storage life, that could be used for many different things. So I am wondering around Amazon.com and the word "White" grabs my eye, I guess maybe because anything white is bad currently.

So I start thinking maybe someone or the government might classify me as racist because I only inventory "brown" sugar. So I start thinking, "white" sugar is super cheap, and I could use it for covering popcorn to use as bait. I have started hoarding supplies for baiting. I don't do that now but, if the SHTF and I am 85 y/o baiting several months of red meat might be prudent.

I guess if I was out of food and having to eat grass and tree bark, adding sugar would help. If things got super bleak I could survive on sugar and tequila. So I'll just buy sugar "limit four bags" over and over and over.

The Mrs has been diligently purchasing about 10% more than we need for many months.
No restrictions, no limits.
Since we're hurricainers, we always keep 2-3 months of essentials on hand, anyway.:)
Our problem is, we are running out of room to put 'stuff'. :mad:

While that might be true if you are "hurricainers" and a real storm hits, you best have a bunker in place. Otherwise, all that room, storage, and preparation will be pointless. Speculation at this point from an outsider but unless there is some form of hardened protection, "things" on hand might vanish quickly.

Not only Amazon, but even Walmart is imposing quantity limitations on online orders. I suspect that limitations were put into place because of the crazy stocking-up that so many people were doing. The demand was greater than supply and a lot of places were drained dry! The system is so fragile...

We ain't seen nothing yet.

While that might be true if you are "hurricainers" and a real storm hits, you best have a bunker in place. Otherwise, all that room, storage, and preparation will be pointless. Speculation at this point from an outsider but unless there is some form of hardened protection, "things" on hand might vanish quickly.
It's not as bad as you think if you are not directly in the path of the northeastern eye-wall.
The main thing is everything is closed and roads are impassable for a long while. No gas.
Underground bunkers will not work here because they would be completely full of storm-water.
Brick houses do fine. With the last ones that went thru, 1/3 of houses here needed new shingles on the roofs. That was it.
Say hello to blue tarps!
The other astounding thing is how much the community pulls together. :)
That other thread talks on and on about roving bands of desperado people pillaging just to stay alive.
The opposite happens. I wish other preppers could see this.
The problem becomes an endless line of people stopping and offering to help. Barter works.
We have practiced this to an artform.
When SHTF, it's usually an 80mph wind... followed by a giant yawn.

Last edited:
The other astounding thing is how much the community pulls together. :)
That other thread talks on and on about roving bands of desperado people pillaging just to stay alive.
The problem becomes an endless line of people stopping and offering to help. Barter works.

If people are coming to Offer Help, and supplies. That is what serious preppers refer to as a "Temporary Problem". Most likely with an estimable duration.

To a serious prepper a hurricane that lasts continuously for (7) "SEVEN" years, and no help is coming, and no supplies exist is a "mild" SHTF event.... :rolleyes:

When SHTF, it's usually an 80mph wind... followed by a giant yawn.

I certainly hope you are right. I really do. But I am not planning on it. I see what has happened over and over again in history, and I am not talking about 80 mph winds. We call those days Tuesday. Yes, good people help each other out in those events, but that isn’t what I see coming.

I don't remember when (if ever) I purchased granulated "White" sugar. If ever it was many decades ago. So I am often looking for food with a near forever storage life, that could be used for many different things. So I am wondering around Amazon.com and the word "White" grabs my eye, I guess maybe because anything white is bad currently.

So I start thinking maybe someone or the government might classify me as racist because I only inventory "brown" sugar. So I start thinking, "white" sugar is super cheap, and I could use it for covering popcorn to use as bait. I have started hoarding supplies for baiting. I don't do that now but, if the SHTF and I am 85 y/o baiting several months of red meat might be prudent.

I guess if I was out of food and having to eat grass and tree bark, adding sugar would help. If things got super bleak I could survive on sugar and tequila. So I'll just buy sugar "limit four bags" over and over and over.

My favorite survival use for sugar: treating wounds.

Sugar is valuable for treating wounds, even severe infections. Honey is better, but the same principles apply to sugar as well.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sugar+to+treat+wounds&va=b&t=hc&ia=web

Storage: I have limited space and started using metal shelves on rollers, I treat them like books on a book shelf with a list on the end (just pull out the book you need, take what you need and put it back), less wasted isle space.

I have done the order online to the limit (TP with a big box co) along with just enough other stuff to get free shipping, when they said it had shipped I ordered another shipment until I was back to 110%. (I have a list of "other stuff" that I need).

I usually shop in the morning (06:00) once a week but I maintain a list of staples that I need, and always shop from a list. I have several big box stores close to me and when I need to do a big stock up trip I map out my trip and work my way home, I carry an ice-chest to keep things cold till I get home. I check everyone's prices online the night before to try to buy at the best price I can. Because I distribute my buys across several stores it would be hard to track my total inventory (unless they use the C-card history)

The only things we had trouble getting last year were non food items . We never stopped shopping in person, and I never lacked any food items I wanted to get. We have our own meat, eggs, ( had milk goats then too) and vegetables, some fruit sometimes, so mostly I buy bananas, lettuce in summer and winter, oil, butter, mangoes, potatoes, onions ( we just can't grow enough of those) , and lunchmeat, some bread when I don't feel like baking, sugar, flour , rice, salt etc, basic stuff we don't produce. I made the mistake of buying lots of snacks and we all gained weight, no more of that! Haven't bought a bag of chips since Christmas I think.

Things we wanted to buy that was not there all the time: grain for the animals, rubbing alcohol, bleach ( need for lots of things here), dish soap, FREAKING N95 face masks!!! ( for barn cleaning, hay etc). We had to wait a month and pre-order a UTV, before last year they had rows of those things sitting there. Oh paper towels of course, we use a lot of those.
Just a few days ago we had trouble finding GAS, that's scary

I usually shop in the morning (06:00) once a week but I maintain a list of staples that I need, and always shop from a list. I have several big box stores close to me and when I need to do a big stock up trip I map out my trip and work my way home, I carry an ice-chest to keep things cold till I get home. I check everyone's prices online the night before to try to buy at the best price I can. Because I distribute my buys across several stores it would be hard to track my total inventory
I do almost exactly this as well, except I pay with cash. I use my credit card as little as I can get away with for 3 reasons, which are: I don't want to support the CC companies, I don't want my purchases logged by anyone, and I want cash to remain relevant in our society (so use it or lose it). When I go early in the morning, I can usually find most things in stock, even sale items. So, I plan my trip carefully before I even leave the house so I can get what I want from each store and get home as quickly as possible, mostly b/c I really don't like crowds. I do buy hard to find items online when I have to, but I prefer to buy locally as much as possible.

Tracking my total inventory would be difficult at best. I have TP stocked that is probably 10 years old or more. If 'they' can inventory my stuff, I'd very much appreciate a list please.:D

I'm not convinced that crypto is going to be "the" currency. I'm aware that I could be very wrong on that. I've heard information lately that crypto has taken a hit, but it could go either way. I haven't invested in any crypto yet b/c it just doesn't make sense to me. I'm not sure it ever will.

If we have a crappy growing season this year, that might throw another wrench into the whole system. With lids and rings being in hot demand, I'd like to think that folks are going to be doing a lot of gardening and canning their own food this year. I hope that happens. It could take a lot of stress off the system by decreasing the demand of factory canned foods.

I don't have the option of online ordering as no one will deliver anything out here and I don't think they deliver in the little towns either. I go into a store and bypass most of the food in it. I buy the basic building blocks that I cannot produce myself.

If there is a shortage here, it is nursury plants and garden supplies. The few plants and supplies that are on offer are not based on reality. Really bizarre offerings not of much use for anything.

People are just playing at canning. There is not a huge amount of home canning going on. That stuff will kill you after all. The canning jar/lid shortage is not a true shortage yet. They have never been available in the off season. If there is still a shortage in July/August then it is real. I suspect it will be, because independence is no longer an option.

Last edited:
I think my point, at least the main part, I did a sloppy job of presenting. Or maybe people can't truly grasp how trapped people will be with zero freedom. With a "Nation State" having total control of everything, buy having full control of the digital/crypto currency/means of exchange.

This is "Not" about shortages of supplies. It is about total control of what you can purchase, and where you can purchase it. And what you currently own, and whom you may be allowed to sell that idem or service, and for what price. It is about total control......for essentially everything and everyone.

Last edited:
I think my point, at least the main part, I did a sloppy job of presenting. Or maybe people can't truly grasp how trapped people will be with zero freedom. With a "Nation State" having total control of everything, buy having full control of the digital/crypto currency/means of exchange.

This is "Not" about shortages of supplies. It is about total control of what you can purchase, and where you can purchase it. And what you currently own, and whom you may be allowed to sell that idem or service, and for what price. It is about total control......for essentially everything and everyone.

Yes, and even some self-sustainable enthusiasts as myself realize that no matter how “self-sufficient” we are, we are at the mercy of TPTB. Even through land taxes... Landowners are at risk of losing their land if they don’t dance the dance that TPTB dictates.

Outcomes sometimes do not turn out they way we envision them, so I want to be ready for those things that fall outside of my comfort zones.

Throughout history, “man has dominated man to his own injury.” This is one of several reasons why my most important preps include daily bolstering of my spiritual and mental resilience.

A close study of historical accounts and stories of those who survived the “unthinkable” helps me to not fall into normalcy bias and other potentially deadly mind traps. Last but not least, a deep spiritual connection with my Maker is my most important prep of all because then I have a power greater than normal to tap into.

Last edited:
Great "idea"..........just require, what I have "FAILED" to find in the last two years, for looking. Need a source that will ship to remote Alaska for "FREE". Otherwise it is cost prohibitive. Amazon.com has an insane postage rate deal with USPS, because of the "massive" volume. They once sent me (2) TWO 30" Crowbars......that I estimate weighed 14 pounds "EACH". Free shipping and total cost for each crowbar was $3.79

You will find this hard to believe.........Most retailers, think Alaska is a "Over Seas" in some far lost continent, and simply refuse to ship here. (And I "can't" make or grow White granulated sugar, in Alaska).

Capitalism works, order from a competitor or make/grow it yourself.

Last edited:
I'd be looking hard for Alaska producers of goods if I were you. And if we go completely digital currency, like China, then I'd get ready to barter as best as you can.

If you live where there are no people, or very-very few people there is "No one" to barter with. I have this problem now. I need to sell everything I own........but I am to far removed from buyers.

But.....here is the thing, once everything you currently have to trade is traded, you can "Never Ever" have anything without the currency's computer approving it. So in the matter of months you can only sell or purchase what is approved "for You". If you have not eaten properly for the last 12 months and you get sick and need medical help, the computer can say "Sorry, request denied".

If you did somehow get approved to see medical people, and went to the store.....the computer could say, "Sorry, your last medical visit showed you are overweight and have these five medical conditions, therefore all the food you have in your grocery cart is denied.....to you".

You want to sell some old cloths and children's toys, you can't unless the computer approves, and tells you where you "Must" deliver them, and how much you will receive, that exactly what the "tax is for that transaction.

If the computer figures out you are selling excess from you garden (which you actually could "Not" do without the computer approval) it could punish you. If you lawn is not well cared for, the computer can punish you.

If you excessively pee'off the computer manager, they can send a drone to terminate you.

Crypo-currency/digital currency will give total control over everything. It is not much different then how governments "sanction" other governments, so they can't sell their oil, or any export, or any import. It simply gets it down to the individual person......every person.

I'd be looking hard for Alaska producers of goods if I were you. And if we go completely digital currency, like China, then I'd get ready to barter as best as you can.
Most of the country has already been on 'digital' currency for decades, just as sure as I put everything on my 'card' and pay them once a month, electronically.
Forget bitcoin. The government is going to crack down on it soon to stop income-tax evasion.
This week in tax: US tax crackdown on cryptocurrencies
The Biden administration has announced plans to impose tax reporting requirements on cryptocurrency transfers. The result has seen Bitcoin’s value crash.
Investors transferring more than $10,000 in cryptocurrency will have to report their transactions to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) under the proposal. The price of Bitcoin fell by 5% after the US government announced its plans to crackdown on high-value cryptocurrency transactions..
As a result, Bitcoin lost as much as 30% of its value, reaching a low of $30,101 per coin before clawing back its losses to less than 8%. In just 24 hours, more than $8.6 billion of positions were liquidated.
There has always been a law in place that the country can only have one currency.
This is why Confederate dollars are worthless today.
But fear not! The US dollar banknotes are not going anywhere.
They will be valid thru our lifetime.

Most of the country has already been on 'digital' currency for decades, just as sure as I put everything on my 'card' and pay them once a month, electronically.
Forget bitcoin. The government is going to crack down on it soon to stop income-tax evasion.
There has always been a law in place that the country can only have one currency.
This is why Confederate dollars are worthless today.

Currencies have failed in history..but as of late..recent history 2 currencies 'failed' and are back in use.

ussr rubble is one huge one. its in operation still and has grown in value since ussr collapse and is being backed by more and more tons of gold.silver etc. each year.

venezuela is another...they tossed out money but as of late i seen several videos and articles where just plain ol lack of anythig to use for transactions has caused the people to start using it again and its gaining..but only in local economies there. but its happening...people will search for solutions.

i agree with you..usd is losing value but its going to be something huge to stop its use across the globe but most importantly here on site.

There is the rub.......they can destroy the US Dollar, most likely through hyper-inflation, till it has no value, or extremely deprecated value. At some point along that road to destruction, they will sell the idea that a Super High Quality Crypto-currency, called the "American Eagle-digital" fully backed by the United States Government, and legal tender everywhere.

When the paper money has no value, that will save the country with US'crypto currency. Why pack around wheelbarrows of paper money, when everything is so simple with Federal Digital/crypto Currency.

A Federal Crypto-Currency will 100% eliminate all crime, and drug use.

Last edited:

last year when supply lines disrupted and taxed so hard there was goods in other avenues of supplies and several 'thrifty folks' in business adjusted instantly and those supplies could be bought. it really paid to be in the local know and have a connection of past relationships.

no troubles getting local beef here in 50# lots or more. basically all you can afford.theres new supply lines that got put in place and to be honest folks are keeping them going because they have found it better dealings and easier than dealing with larger stores and such.

local amish store is expanding its bulk section. its cool to see things in 50# bags like it use to be back in my younger days . i remember seeing various items at feed store..like 50# pintos,oatmeal etc.

@Sourdough the rub for you is being so remote no one to trade with. so you are stuck mostly in using currency for trades outside your property boundaries and contact points. your contact point is amazon..usd currency is it for now and also no matter what we think we all need certain amount of cash for emergencies in life. we need nest eggs and hard cash for instant use in various situations we might find ourselves in.cash is only a tool.

I get what you're saying Sourdough...but are there any suppliers/makers of things in Alaska that will send to your Alaska address? Even if you have to trek down the mountain to get it?
I'm not in favor of cryptocurrencies. I think the govt "allows" it so citizens will get used to using it before springing on their own that we must use. And then goodbye to all the others like bitcoin.
For right now using Amazon, you mentioned sugar for instance....I'd order your limit on that, then order the limits on powdered, brown, syrup, honey, agave, sugar substitute....

i know there were shortages of items last year and still are from lack of production both here and abroad. but to be honest i just dont shop that much other than a grocery store and feed store type places.i know handtools are hard to find.one thing i did see was kennebec seed potato out of maine. they had a crop failure and lack of help this past year for various reasons. so first time in my life..55..no kennebec seed potatoes out of maine. one place had a few from somewhere and wanted arm and leg for them. i found a sack of them at another feed store and grab them instantly.these came out of dakotas.

local big greenhouse place cant get sweet potato slips anymore.havent been able to last 3 years. one thing i see is these small avenues of supplies might being effected by older folks retiring. in my are we use to grow alot of fall cabbage but that ended awhile back.many of the farmers just got older and help situation,regulations,cost/profit ratio made it easier to just seed it fir hay and get that done by a single farmer or just a couple people.

these are little changes that all go through in life. for me i am gearing up for a greenhouse of some type.my friend always starts my seedlings for me i want. but he is in his 70's now and its going to end sooner rather than later unless a family member takes over his business. but i just dont see it happening.hes been cutting back last few years in what he handles and does.

SD, Just a thought: Have you tried ordering through more than one user name? Like sourdough123@gmale :) and sdbread123@gmale (don't want it to think it's real addresses). Especially if you ordered using different cards if that's possible, at least you'd have double your limit.

Latest posts

Back