Raw Goat's Milk??

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duck Duck Chicken

New Friend
Neighbor
Hey guys! So... in the next 2-3 years, I will be moving into my own little homestead. I know it's not for a while, but I like to plan ahead and dream, okay? Anyway, I've been living on my parent's little mini-farm and we already have goats, but we've always pasteurized their milk. I've never been a huge fan of the goaty taste, and I've heard a lot of that comes from the pasteurization process. I'm curious to try raw goat's milk to compare with it but am pretty hesitant due to the fact that I've heard that raw can make you pretty sick. What are the chances of getting sick from raw goat's milk and is there anything I can do to help lower them? Thanks!

I have raw goat milk in my refrigerator from yesterday's milking . We have tried it both ways pasteurized as well as raw . Raw tastes the best . My Nubian goat gives very rich and creamy milk so I have found it tastes better to stir it up to distribute the cream before pouring a glass . We have never had a negative outcome from drinking raw goat milk .

What I have read somewhere is if you use a lot of normal commercial cows milk when you change over to raw milk, be it from a cow or goat, do the change gradually. Don't go from gulping liters of pasteurized milk today to doing the same with raw goats milk tomorrow. That may upset your stomach.

That said I interchange without any issue personally.

Hey guys! So... in the next 2-3 years, I will be moving into my own little homestead. I know it's not for a while, but I like to plan ahead and dream, okay? Anyway, I've been living on my parent's little mini-farm and we already have goats, but we've always pasteurized their milk. I've never been a huge fan of the goaty taste, and I've heard a lot of that comes from the pasteurization process. I'm curious to try raw goat's milk to compare with it but am pretty hesitant due to the fact that I've heard that raw can make you pretty sick. What are the chances of getting sick from raw goat's milk and is there anything I can do to help lower them? Thanks!
Never heard of this. Goats milk is lactose free. They use it a lot in Mexico for babys that can't drink mother's milk.

Never heard of this. Goats milk is lactose free. They use it a lot in Mexico for babys that can't drink mother's milk.

It's not lactose free, raw milk has an enzyme in it that breaks down the lactose. The kid is lactose intolerant and can't drink pasteurized milk of any kind but has no trouble with raw milk.

Goat milk is pretty much always A2 which many people find easier to digest.

Raw goats milk is great, the only thing you need to do is a quick inspection of the mother prior to milking.

Is there any sign of infection/mastitis in the udder? Is the doe good and healthy looking? A sick goat will hang her head and her ears will droop. Her bum should be clean and her poo should be nice formed pellets. Are her eyes clear and bright? Does she look energetic? Is she happy to eat her feed? If your goat is good and healthy there should be no issue with her milk.

Give the udder a light brush with a soft-bristled brush to brush off any loose hair/dirt. Give it a wipe-over with a warm damp cloth if necessary, discard the first couple of squirts then milk and look for any change in consistency/colour/blood and then milk into a clean stainless-steel bucket. You can moisturise her udder with a simple natural balm if you think it needs it. A simple olive oil/beeswax lotion can be made up with a couple of drops of tea tree/lavender oil as a mild/soothing antiseptic can be used if there is a scrape on it.

Once milked the milk should be taken straight into the kitchen, strained through a clean cotton cause cloth to remove any stray dirt that might have snuck in, bottled and placed immediately into the fridge to cool.

Latest posts

Back