Raw Milk

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I've watched part of this video this morning, but it is over an hour long. It has some really great information in it about the history and benefits of raw milk.

Raw milk went out of use due to the growth of cities and limited refrigeration. For a while, it was only allowed commercially at the Mayo Clinic. What does that tell you?

37 states have banned raw milk sales.

When I think about a prepper community of people working together to live, survive, prosper, a milk cow or two or three would be a really good thing. Anyone who has ever milked cows, or worked in or around dairies know that there is a lot of work involved.

It's the same here...for pets or donations. Even with refrigeration, it does not stay good as long as two week store milk, and some people are surprised by that. When ours goes a bit off, I give it to the chickens.
We had a visitor that stayed a few days, and he was in awe that there was homemade german chocolate cake for dessert. And he watched me put mine in a bowl, and pour raw milk over it. And then he tried it himself, and said it was the best!

What about the difference between grass fed and recycled candy/corn/grain milk? Is there a big difference?

What about the difference between grass fed and recycled candy/corn/grain milk? Is there a big difference?
Probably. I just don't have that information. Relative to grass fed versus grain fed, my daughter, who has celiac and gets sick from eating grains that have gluten, buys beef that is grass fed. She also eat bison. She feels better when she doesn't eat grain fed meat. It is more expensive, but when you have allergies, you have to do what you have to do.
I have cousins who are farmers. I asked one about raising grass fed beef versus grain fed. He told me that it takes two years to finish off a grain fed beef for market, but grass fed beef take 3 years to finish off.

wow

I had to move away from the farm & buy store bought milk, when I was out on my own. Mother feed us raw milk, buttermilk & butter while we were growing up. I milked a Guernsey twice a day bring in five gallons of milk every day. Our own eggs, chicken, pork & rabbit meat.
98% of our vegetables & fruit, including forging wild berries for pies, cobblers & jellies.

Pasteurizing milk is done for a reason: to extend the life in the fridge.
The most common method of pasteurization in the United States today is High Temperature Short Time (HTST) pasteurization, which uses metal plates and hot water to raise milk temperatures to at least 161° F for not less than 15 seconds, followed by rapid cooling.
We grew up on raw milk and storage life was never a problem because voracious teens made it vanish in less than two days :thumbs:.
It did take me years to lose the habit of shaking every jug of milk I took out of the fridge because ours always had the cream on top.
Homogenizing fixed that in store-bought milk:thumbs::
Homogenization is used to standardize and disperse milk fat globules to improve the texture, appearance and taste of milk. During homogenization, milk is subjected to high pressure, but nothing is added or removed from the milk.
On topic: There ain't a damthing wrong with raw milk. 100% natural.:D

I have been getting some raw milk locally for close to a year now. "It's for the cats. We have cats."

I used to buy cream from a local dairy that sells in local stores. A pint of cream is about $5 and I was getting tired of taking it home and it going bad within about 2 days. This was from the store, pasteurized.

On the other hand, I find that the cream skimmed off of the raw milk will usually keep for about a week in the refrigerator, no problem.

I do use some of that "cat milk" to make homemade yogurt, and the process I use actually does pasteurize the milk before the cultures get added. Sometimes when the kids / grandkids come to visit, they want pasteurized milk so I will pasteurize some of it for them.

And that's about as far as I wanna go with that on a public forum.

A pinch of salt in a gallon of milk will keep it past the use date.
Also heard that lowering temperature to 37F will make milk last longer, but may freeze lettuce leaves.

A pinch of salt in a gallon of milk will keep it past the use date.
Also heard that lowering temperature to 37F will make milk last longer, but may freeze lettuce leaves.
I’ve never seemed to have luck with the pinch of salt to help the milk last longer.

I’ve never seemed to have luck with the pinch of salt to help the milk last longer.
Last month wife bought in a gallon of milk & I did not put a pinch of salt in it & about a pint in the bottom of the gallon jug went bad.
I can not taste the salt, but the milk is fine for however long it last.
Most of the time it may not matter at all, but never lost a gallon of milk with a pinch of salt in the last 24 months. I by Kroger milk most of the time. I use pink salt or white sea salt.

Just looked up the laws per my two locations on this planet. Looks like raw milk is legal for sale and human consumption in both Kansas and Nebraska. That is really good to know, as one of our plans for the Kansas place is to have a few dairy goats. My boys and I love milk. We drink at a couple gallons a week, but my wife can't have much, the lactose in it just tears her up. That's with cow's milk. Goat milk doesn't seem to bother her much, although she does say it is creamier tasting than cows milk.

Here's where you can check your state laws also:
https://milk.procon.org/raw-milk-laws-state-by-state/

How much milk is irradiated? That seems to keep it much longer. I buy and drink little milk, and rarely throw any out, so I usually buy organic milk with a best buy date being at least a month away. This milk has to be irradiated. But doesn't that make it no longer organic?

https://www.google.com/search?q=irr...INjc1OWoxajeoAgCwAgA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I don't know much about irradiation. But not all pasteurization is the same. There are some who only pasteurize to the very minimum required which I believe is something close to 160 degrees, just hitting that temp, not holding it there, and then cooling it. Ultrapasteurization is another animal and I'm not certain how a liquid is taken to such a high temperature (280 to 302 degrees F) for only one or two seconds. And with that, it may last quite a bit longer than something only taken to 160 degrees, cooled and bottled. And then on top of that there is taking milk to 230 to 250 degrees F and holding it there for something like 10 to 30 minutes and having milk that can even be stored on the shelf, no refrigeration required.

Those high temperatures do change the structure of the milk. Cheese makers do not want ultrapasteurized milk.

I don't actually drink milk at all. But I do use cream in my coffee and make my own Greek yogurt with the milk. I've had limited success with cream cheese and cottage cheese, haven't really gotten that down pat. Too many other projects right now...

Latest posts

Back