Re-Introducing Myself Been Gone Awhile

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello again, glad your are back, yeah at nearly 79, I look back and wonder how I was able to do what I have done, I certainly don't think I could do the same thing now, sometimes my DW thinks I can.

What I have found is that as us homesteading people get older, things are harder and sometimes out of our control. So we may have to change our lifestyle or move.

We found the same to be true. We started homesteading in Northern New York state back in 1977 ( in our twenties). We were able to work the farm as well as work auxilary jobs outside (hardware store checkout, cutting timber for mining company, etc) to add to our income. When we hit our fifties, we found that we just couldn't keep up and by that time much of the homestead infrastructure we'd built needed replacing (barn roof, fencing, irrigation system) and we could no longer generate the necessary income because of the tanking economy in that area and our own age-oriented limitations. We sold and moved. Life is quite a bit easier and we still stay pretty prepped, but without livestock, our orchard, and the big gardens we once had, we constantly feel like we're ill-prepared.

We found the same to be true. We started homesteading in Northern New York state back in 1977 ( in our twenties). We were able to work the farm as well as work auxilary jobs outside (hardware store checkout, cutting timber for mining company, etc) to add to our income. When we hit our fifties, we found that we just couldn't keep up and by that time much of the homestead infrastructure we'd built needed replacing (barn roof, fencing, irrigation system) and we could no longer generate the necessary income because of the tanking economy in that area and our own age-oriented limitations. We sold and moved. Life is quite a bit easier and we still stay pretty prepped, but without livestock, our orchard, and the big gardens we once had, we constantly feel like we're ill-prepared.
I know what you mean. Especially now in these times, which is kind of what I was preparing for before. Now I am in an apartment in a city...........a small city, but a city nonetheless. I have been researching senior citizens urban prepping and there are others in this situation as well. Just now I cannot do the physical work and am finding other methods.

Hello again, glad your are back, yeah at nearly 79, I look back and wonder how I was able to do what I have done, I certainly don't think I could do the same thing now, sometimes my DW thinks I can.
I do the same thing! I have pictures on my computer of my gardens, my many harvests and canning days and I say to myself, "Can it be true? Did I do all that work?" And now standing for longer than 5 minutes knocks me out!

I know several people that sold their farms and moved into town. They were just physically unable to do the work required. My Uncle had a great little place. 20 acres of mostly pasture, barn, corrals, nice house, several outbuildings, and a huge garden. Sold it and moved into a small house in town. I couldn't understand why until I got older and then it became clear.

Latest posts

Back