Ready for a dog(s)!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have probably had 20 dogs in our 45+ years of marriage, and every single one has been a rescue, and every one had a story that would break your heart. One of my old bosses had an interesting perspective. She always said " Let the dog choose you. " When they went to a shelter or rescue place they selected the dog that came up to them, and was friendly. I have never tried it, but it made sense.

We did the same thing a few months after our girl died Pearl. I don't think we'll ever NOT have a pup. The house was just too quiet without one.

We used petfinder and talked to our local shelter manager, who is also aware of what other area shelters have. We were unseccessful (as we are pretty much stuck on a particular breed or a dominant mix thereof) and all they had were pitbull mix dogs. Our thoughts were that God would put the right pup in our laps when the time was right. A friend showed us a dog posted on craigslist. The owner was disabled and could no longer care for the dog due to ongoing health issues. We went to the home and the dog was already potty trained and well behaved (for the most part). We have found that he can have a mean streak when he doesn't get his way on some things. That is a trait that we are working on b/c we won't tolerate a mean dog. He doesn't bite, but he sounds like he'll take your leg off when he gets angry. Other than that, he has been a gem and has many similar traits of our late girl.

Anyways, the craigslist ad was legit. The owner was clearly disabled and the dog IS a handful. He's an older pup that loves to play, so I can see why the owner needed to rehome the dog.

I hope you find your pup soul mate out there soon Pearl. That dog will have hit the doggie lottery if he/she ends up with you!

Last edited:
The right one will find you :). We went 5 dogless years, I missed having a dog, nobody keeping me company when I worked in the yard.

One day, saw a post from a local rescue, and there was Teddy Ruxpin, a fat fuzzy "Australian Shepard" mix (Farm Dog)

He is hogging the futon and snoring as I type :p

Teddy copy.jpg

The right one will find you :). We went 5 dogless years, I missed having a dog, nobody keeping me company when I worked in the yard.

One day, saw a post from a local rescue, and there was Teddy Ruxpin, a fat fuzzy "Australian Shepard" mix (Farm Dog)

He is hogging the futon and snoring as I type :p

View attachment 84864
That's how it's always gone, the right one just pops into life!! I'm not searching, just feeling it's going to happen soon!! All of my dear animals have just magically come into my life!!

For over 50 years now my wife and I have had nothing but rescue dogs. As many as 8 at one time.
And three rescue horses.
Our dogs have come from the side of the road, where they were dumped. We call those "ditch dogs".
They have come from the pound.
We got one from an advertisement, the couple had one toddler and another on the way. A Black Lab, he is at my feet at this very moment.
My wife did volunteer work at the county shelter, and one of the staffers called her one day saying they had a dog that was going to be put down that day because of health issues. Could we take her? Yes, indeed, and she lived with us for years until old age took her.

Another dog came to us the same way - a last ditch phone call. This girl was going to be put down, she was "unadoptable" because of "behavioral issues." Yes, we will take her in.
She had been so traumatized by some male (I will not call the POS a man) that she would not let me touch her for 6 months. I guess male hands meant pain. It took a year before I could touch her with both hands. I guess she was afraid of being grabbed for bad intent.
I know PTSD when I see it, I have PTSD too!! I'm a patient man, I earned her trust, and now she's Daddy's Girl. She sings to me when I come home. She is old now, not very many years left, her arthritis limits her mobility. But she will be put gently down by the vet when SHE decides it's time.

So, when I say Adopt Don't Shop, I mean it with all my heart.

I asked my niece (works for a vet) to find us a breeder for a certain breed. she came up with a very similar breed. We gave the breeder a short list of characteristics we preferred. We couldn't be happier with our girl. There are advantages professional breeders and to pound puppies. Something will find its way into your heart and home.

I knew a US attorney in Montgomery AL. Because of her love for working dogs she ran an informal adoption service when she retired. Most working dogs retire to the home of their handlers, it's rare but sometimes that isn't possible.

I shared her love and got some fantastic dogs through her. I gave them a good home, basically turned them loose on the farm and let them be dogs again. Working dogs are bred for intelligence, drive, stamina. Wonderful animals! I prefer german shepperads.

However, they aren't a Schnauzerdoodle or Jack Russel. They've been trained to attack people so clearly aren't for everyone. But, I encourage folks who are up to it to care for these critters that served our nation or community. To give back to them.

The US attorney I knew passed away. But if anyone is interested talk to dog handlers in your area. They might know of someone who does something similar.

This was the last dog I got from her, the most incredible animal I've ever been around. She was dying of heatworms when I got her, even my vet said the worm treatment would kill her. I used natural methods to kill the worms slowly. 4 months later she was heartworm free. She was with me another 7 years.

Ten Best a.jpg

Latest posts

Back