Really Old Recipes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalicoKatie

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I love looking at the old cookbooks from WWII and even further back. They used basic ingredients that didn't require refrigeration or additives. I've been searching a few out online this last few days and thought I'd share some of my finds.

This first book is titled Home Cookery in War Time - that's WWI.
https://archive.org/stream/homecookeryinwar00oldm#page/10/mode/2up

http://wartimecanada.ca/archive-categories/recipes

http://www.recipespastandpresent.org.uk/wartime/

https://archive.org/stream/peoplescookbookb00tayl#page/n0/mode/2up

https://archive.org/stream/centurycookbookc00hans?ui=embed#page/n17/mode/2up

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.31822031039092;view=2up;seq=18;skin=mobile

This 1911 cookbook was exactly what it's title said, how to cook in paper sacks.
https://archive.org/stream/paperbagcookbook00youmrich#page/n1/mode/2up

Every bride should read this little recipe filled book on how to take care of your husband - circa 1917.
http://archive.org/stream/thousandwaystopl00weav#page/n0/mode/2up

I have a cookbook (1 of many) that dates to the 14th and 15th century. Thankfully the author put together a glossary of terms and wrote the recipes using more modern measurements.
I have collected different cook books since I left home.

I bought a book on the constitution for my daughter to study and the cover looks like a Betty Crocker cookbook. She looked at it and said "Not another one!! Don't you have enough? I'm gonna tell daddy you bought ANOTHER cookbook." Little narc!

I love the old cookbooks and read them from cover to cover. Lots of good basic recipes that you will have most ingredients on hand. Lord knows our grandmas knew how to cook . . . even making 'apple pies' out of green tomatoes. :) I read about that one in a Laura Ingells book.

I bought a book on the constitution for my daughter to study and the cover looks like a Betty Crocker cookbook. She looked at it and said "Not another one!! Don't you have enough? I'm gonna tell daddy you bought ANOTHER cookbook." Little narc!
Dont feel bad. . I have a 6 ft tall bookshelf almost full. . . it would be now, but I gave some away. Besides, doesn't your hunny benefit from all those good recipes too.

Dont feel bad. . I have a 6 ft tall bookshelf almost full. . . it would be now, but I gave some away. Besides, doesn't your hunny benefit from all those good recipes too.

I got rid of all the ones I never used and still have a full book shelf. There were a couple I only used a few recipes out of so I copied those and got rid of the books. Hubby keeps saying he needs to watch what he eats. I told him he is watching what he eats. He watches it go from the stove, to the plate, to the fork and in his mouth....

Last edited:
I keep thinking there are going to be recipes here, so I thought I would share this one. Maybe this isn't a really old recipe, but my family has been cooking this my whole life.

http://1krecipes.com/moms-goulash/

Ingredients

1/2 lb macaroni
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 large onion, diced
garlic salt, pepper, chili powder, & hot sauce to taste
2 (14.5 oz) cans whole stewed tomatoes, undrained
2 tablespoons ketchup
Tomato juice as needed
How to make it :
Cook the macaroni to al dente according to package directions. While it’s cooking, brown the ground beef and onion together in an extra-large skillet or in a dutch oven. Drain and season with spices to taste. In a large bowl, mash tomatoes with potato masher and add to beef along with the ketchup. Drain macaroni and add to the beef mixture, stirring well. Taste and add additional seasoning as needed. I didn’t need to add any tomato juice to mine, but if you like yours very juicy you can add as much tomato juice as you like.

Last edited:
I keep thinking there are going to be recipes here, so I thought I would share this one. Maybe this isn't a really old recipe, but my family has been cooking this my whole life.

Ingredients

1/2 lb macaroni
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 large onion, diced
2 tablespoons ketchup
Tomato juice as needed
How to make it :
Cook the macaroni to al dente according to package directions. While it’s cooking, brown the ground beef and onion together in an extra-large skillet or in a dutch oven. Drain and season with spices to taste. In a large bowl, mash tomatoes with potato masher and add to beef along with the ketchup. Drain macaroni and add to the beef mixture, stirring well. Taste and add additional seasoning as needed. I didn’t need to add any tomato juice to mine, but if you like yours very juicy you can add as much tomato juice as you like. Phyllis adds it to her leftovers, which I would also recommend, because the noodles tend to soak up all the juice with time.

My father used to make that all the time.

I have two very old cookbooks, one from the mid 1800's and the second from 1918 ...
Both are a lot of fun to read and try to translate.
I thank my grandmothers for keeping them and pass them on down.

I have some old ones like that. I had to Google oleo. Had no idea what it was but its in lots of recipes. Its margarine.

I have some old ones like that. I had to Google oleo. Had no idea what it was but its in lots of recipes. Its margarine.

LOL ... you just gave me a blast from my past!
I was written up by the health dept. once for having a sign that said "we use oleo" ... but we used margarine not real butter.
But yes... I had to translate that also.
Thanks for the smile!

Ingredients

1/2 lb macaroni
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 large onion, diced
2 tablespoons ketchup
Tomato juice as needed
How to make it :
Cook the macaroni to al dente according to package directions. While it’s cooking, brown the ground beef and onion together in an extra-large skillet or in a dutch oven. Drain and season with spices to taste. In a large bowl, mash tomatoes with potato masher and add to beef along with the ketchup. Drain macaroni and add to the beef mixture, stirring well. Taste and add additional seasoning as needed. I didn’t need to add any tomato juice to mine, but if you like yours very juicy you can add as much tomato juice as you like.

You are the third person to post a goulash recipe in the past week ... something I used to make all the time.
Third time is the charm, next week. :)

You are the third person to post a goulash recipe in the past week ... something I used to make all the time.
Third time is the charm, next week. :)
I have cans of macaroni that I got from the LDS Bishop's Storehouse. Since I am avoiding carbs and have for a number of years, I just haven't used any of it, and that is one of the main ingredients in this recipe.

I have cans of macaroni that I got from the LDS Bishop's Storehouse. Since I am avoiding carbs and have for a number of years, I just haven't used any of it, and that is one of the main ingredients in this recipe.
Have you tried it with spaghetti squash? I know its not the same but when I was an my diet, I would use that for me when I made everyone else spaghetti. Just a thought.

I am not a big fan of squash. I can eat it once a year or so, then I am done.

I used spiralized zucchini instead of pasta. I just saute it in butter & garlic then sprinkle it with salt and parmesan cheese. Some people call them "zoodles". The spiralizer device costs about $10 at places like Costco, Walmart, etc.

I used spiralized zucchini instead of pasta. I just saute it in butter & garlic then sprinkle it with salt and parmesan cheese. Some people call them "zoodles". The spiralizer device costs about $10 at places like Costco, Walmart, etc.
I have a spiralizer and have had it for a couple years. It has yet to be used. One day when I have a fresh zuke, I will give it a try.

I love old recipe books....I also love to find recipes in poem form....this is from my old blog..

Old Cookbooks

I have a love affair with old cookbooks. I can find myself lost
in the recipes. I read the old ads, remembering what it is like
to buy everything at one store, not the malls of today, but
little country stores, where you could buy coffee, tea, sugar,
flour, spices, and a pair of overalls to cover your rear. I remember
the two and three story ones from my childhood.

I went to the flea market yesterday and found a treasure,
an old cookbook, 1931, Dungannon Community Cook Book
from VA. I have really enjoyed looking over the old recipes,
love it when it reads to "use some lard the size of a hen's egg".

I read the recipes, remembering as the hog was butchered, how
we scraped the hair off after it was immersed in a drum of boiling
water, how the head was saved to make head cheese, and the
rendering of the lard,and the love of fresh cracklins and cornbread.
Pages of memories open to me as I read them.

"Scald one-half pint of sweet milk", and I remember the old cow,
Bessie. She loved to switch my face with her tail, and a time or
two, I got kicked in the ear. I remember grandpa squirting a stream
of milk towards the cats, as they meowed loudly, each wanting a
lick of milk.

"Cream butter till fluffy" and I can picture grandma sitting on a stool,
the old butter churn beside, up and down with the paddles, until the
tiny golden dots began to appear, and soon, there was sweet, churned
butter, and buttermilk to drink. The butter was put into wood butter molds
so it would look pretty. Memories, down memory lane I go.

"Stone the dates".....or break a tooth, reminds me of cleaning the beans,
and when we would string almost dry beans for leather britches, I can
remember the little spiders that would pop out and run across grandma's
floor, giving me shivers, and her laughing at me. Where has time gone?
How many years has grandma been gone now? Memories, still alive, remind
me of her, and if I close my eyes and breathe deep, I can smell her lilac
perfume. She is always close, as close as I breathe. Her love always remains
around me.

"Everything is level measure"....."For measuring, use a cup larger than
ordinary size such as a glass goblet". There aren't many of them around these
days, but I still have about a dozen ice tea goblets found at garage sales,
their big bowls and frosted grapes on the outsides. Old timey tea glasses.
I remember the homemade sun tea with fresh mint or fresh lemon slices.
I remember grandma standing on top of the hill, we lived at the bottom
of the hill, and she would wave the teapot back and forth, time to climb up
to the top of the hill and have tea and biscuits with grandma.

"Do not stop folding the egg whites in until the cake is at the oven door"
Priceless advice, "Get the cake in the oven at once and do not open the
oven door for 20 minutes, and do not jar the stove". Sage advice from
the years past speak to me. I delight in the writings, knowing the love
special ladies have passed down from years ago. How precious they seem
to me, caring, loving , great cooks, teaching, helping, measuring, and baking.

"Line pie tins with pastry"...how many of us still love the old cooking utensils
and pans of the past. Some of my old pie tins have names of by-gone
products embossed on them. I love the old things. Cooking from "scratch"
used to be a way of life. You had to grow your own food, have your own
gardens, grow your own livestock, or have a hunter in the family.

There is a recipe in the book from THE WHITE HOUSE, WASHINGTON,DC.
It is for Spaghetti Croquettes.....the recipe from Mrs. Herbert Hoover.
I laugh to myself, as I have saved recipes myself from Mrs. Jimmy Carter,
Hillary Clinton,(and even Ann Landers). They have to be good, look at
the prestige from these recipes, they were used in THE WHITE HOUSE !

"These pickles will never wither or become white or pithy". I read the
recipes for cucumbers with a smile. "Wash carefully without removing
the prickles". I definitely want a pickle with a prickle, and I remember
trying to grow gherkins, and what a disaster that was !

Who knew, a cook book could bring such a flood of memories. We cook
on our stoves, gas, butane, electric,wood, we are all kinswomen with
heart, cooking and sharing our recipes to the next generation, wanting
the best only for our friends and family.

And I end this little story with
my favorite quote.....'You can sprinkle it with sugar and bake it in the
oven with love, but a cow pie is still manure". My deceased Uncle
Arthur Leo acturally covered a cow pie with icing, and sent it to the
neighbor's daughter, Annie Papcun, on her birthday. Talk about a
feud ! My poor grandmother never could understand why Mrs. Papcun
threw it over the fence back at her. My mother still laughs about it.

3-24-07
Gaynelle

Ingredients

1/2 lb macaroni
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 large onion, diced
2 tablespoons ketchup
Tomato juice as needed
How to make it :

Weedy, I use to cook that all the time kids loved it. We called it goolosh 'spell'. It has been decades since I fixed it. Thanks for reminding me about it, we are always wondering what we want to eat. :Thankyou::thumbs up:

Weedy, I use to cook that all the time kids loved it. We called it goolosh 'spell'. It has been decades since I fixed it. Thanks for reminding me about it, we are always wondering what we want to eat. :Thankyou::thumbs up:
Meerkat, I think wondering what to eat for dinner is common. Maybe having a list of menus ideas would help?

I love to cook and I cook to taste.............I have people say how do you make this or that and I tell them by sight and taste....... same way my grandma's cooked, pinch of this and handful of that.......stir and taste and repeat if needed.........lol I will admit my cooking has slowed way down..............wife asked why I haven't been cooking..........I said it's simple..........I cook, I put up the left overs, I wash the dishes............while everyone stuffs their selves and gets up from the table and gets back on the their phones and ipads.............sticking me with all the prep and clean up..............so cook is on permanent strike..............:hammock:

Latest posts

Back