Recipes for your dried tater flakes.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssonb

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have a cupla few recipes for kicking up the flavor in our stored dried tater flakes.
Since I have an allergy to all need and milk products buying the packaged flavored potato mixes will not do for me.....
1...Water to boil, the usual ratio for water to flakes is 1to1 since I add no milk to the mix I add about 1\2 cup more water.
2... Margarine about a heapin table spoon full ,more if you like.
3... Salt you have to experiment for your own tastes.
4... Fried onion flakes, start with a half a teaspoon for the first batch then adjust for flavor next time.
Bring all this to boil and then off heat and cover and let sit for about fifteen minutes. Uncover then bring to boil again, remove from heat add flakes and stir with fork. Have some hot water ready in case the flake mix is now to dry ,just add a touch to cream it to your personal taste.
Sprinkle black pepper on top and serve.

Way back when I ate such things, I would make mine with no water (or the least amount necessary), whole milk, and lots of real salted butter. Then right at the end when it was so thick you could barely stir it, I would add a couple tablespoons of sour cream and some minced green onions.

I just make them the way on the packet then let them get cold in the fridge overnight. I use them to make potato pancakes. I add 1 egg, some garlic or onion chives, 1/4 cup flour and sometimes any kind of cheese or bacon crumbled.
Make patties then fry until golden brown and crispy. Yum. Its the only way hubby will eat instant potatoes

I do the same to grits. Make them. Put them in a loaf pan and then keep in the fridge overnight. Take it out, slice and then flour sides and then fry until crispy. Its the only way I can get the hubby to eat grits.

I just make them the way on the packet then let them get cold in the fridge overnight. I use them to make potato pancakes. I add 1 egg, some garlic or onion chives, 1/4 cup flour and sometimes any kind of cheese or bacon crumbled.
Make patties then fry until golden brown and crispy. Yum. Its the only way hubby will eat instant potatoes

I do the same to grits. Make them. Put them in a loaf pan and then keep in the fridge overnight. Take it out, slice and then flour sides and then fry until crispy. Its the only way I can get the hubby to eat grits.

YUMMY. I love tater cakes

I was telling a friend about some of our tater recipe 's and I made a comment about what to do if the milk replacements became scarce. His reply was...Hell taters didn't come with milk in the first place.
Maybe not milk, but when I think about potatoes, I think of butter. When we make a 5 pound bag of potatoes for Thanksgiving, we use one stick or 1/4 pound of butter and we add half and half as well. With all the potatoes we are trying to grow this year, I keep trying to make sure that we have plenty of butter. I keep it in the freezer to keep it fresh.

I grew up with butter and evaporated milk used in the mashed potatoes. Folks didn't believe in using the "fresh" milk for the potatoes. tasted good to me lol

Latest posts

Back