Recipes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bargeahead

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Got a favorite you don't mind sharing. Here's one of mine that's also on Homestead Forum.

Ye Olde Two Crust Lemon Pie
( from a memory proven to be faulty )

Da Stuff What's In It:

Pastry for large or deep dish pie
1 stick butter (softened)
1 2/3 C sugar
3 Tbls flour
4 large eggs ( reserve 1 Tbls white )
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 C + 2 Tbls water
2+ tsp grated lemon rind
juice and just the meat of 2 to 2 1/2 large lemons ( peel lemons removing all white skin then pry out meat from ribs and chop fine then squeeze the hell outa the ribcage to get all the juice )

Cream butter and sugar, add flour and salt, add eggs ( one at a time or throw em all in at once, pie tastes the same, beat eggs beforehand if they have been naughty ), add water, toss in lemon juice with meat + grated rind. Taste to see if you think it needs just a little more lemon juice or sugar.

Pour in bottom crust ( works better if bottom crust is in pie pan when this takes place ), mixture will be VERY thin, that's OK, trust me. Gently place & trim top crust and do magic finger twirling around edges. Brush top with reserved egg white and sprinkle with just the barest hint of nutmeg then sprinkle with a bunch of cin/sugar. Cut vents.

Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes. Pie looks better if a sheet of foil is placed 2" above top crust for first 15-20 minutes then removed.

Remove from oven before attempting to eat.

Thank you! I was hoping you would post this one. I know it was on the "other" forum but sadly I don't have access to it any longer.

With the weather cold like it is...I'm gonna make a big pot of 3 Meat Chili.

Xzrko7q.jpg

Recipe:

Brown then drain the three 1 lbs portions of Ground Beef, Venison, and Pork...set aside.

Open two large cans of Crushed Tomatoes with Garlic...set aside.

Open two cans of Red Kidney Beans...drain and set aside.

Open 2 bottles of Dos Equis (XX) Beer...sip on one while setting the other aside.

Chop up some whole fresh Jalapeños... pop one in your mouth...NOW...QUICK...Grab the Beer and down it !!

Finely chop up 3 Bell Peppers...Red, Green , Orange or Yellow...set aside

Finely chop 1 large Red Onion...set aside.

In a Sauce Pot of proportionate size to the amount of ingredients to be introduced:

Alternately Layer the Crushed Tomatoes, Ground Beef, Chopped Red Onion, Ground Venison, Chopped Bell Peppers, Ground Pork, Kidney Beans, and any Chili Peppers / Chili Powder / and then the chopped Jalapeños...then pour 1/3 of the Dos Equis beer evenly to the mix...one layer upon the next... same order... till all the ingredients are added to the pot. Open a 2nd Beer.

Place pot on simmer, stirring occasionally until all the ingredients blend ...finish 2nd beer...open 3rd beer...Sip & Stir

Place the pre opened Guacamole, Sour Cream, Chopped Scallions, and Tex Mex cheese blend on the table...along with Chili Bowls and Teaspoons...and the rest of the 6 pack.

Slice the fresh bread of your choice ( say French Artesian ) down...maybe even toast in the oven with a pat of butter on top...all the while stirring the pot and drinking the beer...

When Chili is piping hot...ladle into the bowls...adding the Tex Mex cheese on top...then a dollop of sour cream, then a thin slice of Jalapeños...and garnish the plate the bowl is on with Guacamole and Blue Corn Mexican Tortilla Chips. { Don't forget the salsa...it's in the fridge }

Pull the Dippin' Bread out of the oven...before it burns.

Open another Dos Equis...do a shot of Patron Silver Tequila...{ and remember to eat the chili }

ENJOY !!

Buenos Tardes' Mi Amigos...

nWaAjXq.jpg

"I don't make chili every day...but when I do...I use Shooter's Recipe. "

Stay Hungry My Friends...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll have to print that one Shooter, maybe cut it down to regimental size though :great:

From Taste Of Home Mag or .com

Iowa Ham Balls
  • 3-1/2 pounds ground ham
  • 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups milk
  • 3 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) tomato soup, undiluted
  • 3/4 cup vinegar
  • 2-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
Directions
In a large mixing bowl, combine first five ingredients. Using a 1/3 cup measure, shape mixture into 2-in. balls. Place in two large shallow roasting pans. Combine all remaining ingredients; pour over balls. Bake at 325° for 1 hour, basting frequently with sauce. Yield: about 15 servings.
Originally published as Iowa Ham Balls in Country April/May 1992, p47

I use cider vinegar and ad a little kick to the sauce to taste. Also good to make in cocktail size but more labor intensive and PITA.

Going to try this tonight only with prime rib strips left over from Christmas and throw in some broccoli florets.

Sticky Garlic Ginger Pork

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 pounds boneless center cut pork loin cut into 1/4-inch thick slabs, then 1/4-inch thick strips, about 3 inches long
  • 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon canola or peanut oil plus extra if necessary
  • 5 cloves garlic peeled and minced or pressed through a garlic press
  • 2- inch knob of fresh ginger grated
  • 1/2 cup mild honey
  • 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup sriracha or chili garlic sauce
  • 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar or white wine vinegar
Instructions
  1. In a liquid measuring cup or a small mixing bowl, whisk together the mild honey, sriracha, and rice wine vinegar. Set aside.
  2. Pour the oil into a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium high heat and swirl to coat. Let it heat until it is shimmering. While the oil heats, sprinkle the pork strips with kosher salt and black pepper then toss with your hands to distribute it evenly. Carefully add the pork to the pan, working in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan. Let the first side brown, flip the pieces with tongs or a spatula, and brown the second side. Transfer the pork to a plate. Return the pan to the heat and add in the garlic and ginger. Stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour in the sauce mixture and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. When the sauce is very bubbly and somewhat thickened, toss the pork back in and toss constantly to coat everything and reduce the sauce to a thick, sticky glaze on the pork. This can be served immediately over rice, noodles, or as finger food, or can be allowed to cool and be eaten cold.

Cheesecake

4 bricks cream cheese
4 large eggs
eh, about a cup and a 1/4 or 1/3 sugar
Tbs or more of vanilla ext.
couple Tbs of flour, dash salt
eh, about a cup and 1/3 or 1/2 sour cream

Have everything room temp. I use a Kitchenaide with paddle on kinda slow and "cream" the cream cheese with vanilla. Add eggs one at a time while beating/scraping, add sour cream and get it mixed in, add sugar and flour.

At this point some mixture can be poured into another bowl and combined with melted chocolate, fruit ( I use Polaner ) or whatever and layered or marbled.

crust

I use 2/3 graham cracker crumbs and 1/3 ( or so ) ginger snap crumbs with very soft butter.

Press into 10" springform pan and add mixture however you want.

Put pan on large baking sheet and wrap pan with wet towels to totally cover side of pan.

Put in preheated 260* oven for 75-90 minutes. Turn oven off but DO NOT open oven door.

After one hour crack open oven door to let heat gradually escape for about 20-30 minutes.

Let cool then cover and put in fridge.

Next day top with whatever glop or goop trips your trigger, remove springform and eat.

Only place I know of to find recipes like this !........

ROAST OPOSSUM
1 opossum, skinned and cleaned
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp. fat
1 opossum liver, chopped
1 c. bread crumbs
1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 hard cooked egg, chopped
Salt
Pepper
4 strips bacon

Rub opossum with salt and pepper. Brown onion in fat, add opossum liver and cook until tender. Add bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, egg, seasonings, and water to moisten. Stuff opossum with the mixture and truss. Place in pan belly down. Put bacon strips across back. Add 1 quart water to pan. Roast uncovered at 350 degrees until tender, basting every 15 minutes. It will be done in about 2 1/2 hours. Serves 2-4.

So much of my cooking is just knowing what items go together or what to use to spice up an existing creation. Like today I took Campbells split pea soup and added diced ham I had in the fridge from a spiral ham I had cooked, with frozen garden peas and carrots I have from last summer still. Added 1/2 cup more water, 1.4 tea spoon ground pepper and some Slap yo Mama seasoning, cooked for 15 min and ta-da. If I'd really wanted to put the shine on I'd have made some elbow noodles to add in at the end. :)

Latest posts

Back