Recommendations for affordable woodworking machines.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INresponse

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I understand opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one, but I am hoping to buy a band saw and drum sander and maybe a joiner in about 6 months. If it was 40 years ago I would just go to Sears and buy Craftsman (please don't debate this point of history) as my family always had good experience and longevity with their products. Today, in 2021, I am about 30 years removed from my experience working in cabinets shops and I would like to purchase a few machines to build my own kitchen cabinets, make trim molding, and other items to complete the final steps of building my own home, and then making crafts and other projects for a future money making hobby. I already have a good table saw so that is not necessary.
I can search the web all day and read up on products from Northern Tool, Harbor freight (some of their products are made by the same factory as the big name products), and the big box stores but in the end some reviews are good and some are bad so it is still an educated guess.
Off the top of my head I think I might want a drum sander, a joiner, and an upright band saw with about a 12" or 14" cutting width.
Does anyone have experience with affordable manufacturers of these three items? I am tentatively thinking about $1000 each, give or take. I know the industrial versions jump up into several thousand each, but although they would be great if you were buying the for me I don't want the cost of the equipment to scare me away from making my own cabinets and trim.
I will be researching for several months before purchasing as I don't expect to start the cabinets until late fall or winter. Any reasonable and constructive advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I have gotten some of my woodworking tools at garage sales, estate sales and going out of business sales. I believe I paid $50 for my joiner (from a retiring cabinet maker), $25 for the scroll saw. I have purchased others things new, but I also watch Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace when I am searching for things to buy. I have other free standing tools that I have gotten that way.

I would look in Craig’s List or whatever similar listing site in your area that is popular. Facebook marketplace is all the rage around here.

I’ve been slowly building up what I have over the past decade hitting estate sales, garage sales, etc. All this has slowed considerably since I’ve moved to the mountain, but each week I am stil browsing through Craig’s List, etc, to see what is out there.

By the way, all that old Craftsman stuff is excellent and they typically sell for top dollar due to their popularity.

I have a Rigid benchtop sander that I really like. It has an oscillating belt sander and several sizes of drums. Sandpaper tubes are easy to find.
ridgid-sheet-sanders-eb4424-64_100.jpg

RIDGID Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle Sander-EB4424 - The Home Depot

My table saw and dust collector is Grizzly brand and they have performed well for all the years I have had them.
I have been looking at band saws and if I could justify it I would buy a Jet first or Delta second.
I have an industrial jointer/planner and it never gets used. It's a great machine I just really don't have much use for it.
No idea what you have for a table saw but a good quality fence system will make all the difference in the world on your projects. Buy a good blade like a Forrest Woodworker II.
Like the others have said. Buy used. A lot of people buy a shop full of expensive tools and they just sit and collect dust. Good deals are easy to find. I bought all of my big tools used.
You probably already know but the wood will be your biggest expense. Even after the prices come back down.

Not sure about current quality, but Grizzly has always been a quality resonably priced brand. Jet is a little higher priced, but even higher quality.
My stepdad has a early-mid 80's shopsmith and it has been a really good unit. Shopsmith is now owned by some other company, not sure quality is the same. Down side to them is you have to do a complete change over and set up when you change equipment. Their bandsaws are too small for what your option is.

The equipment is a one time purchase, but the consumables can eat at the pocketbook. For the equipment, I'm a fan of older items like others have mentioned, but it might be worth it to ask about store models/demo machines. They are often sold at a good discount. (Any brand)
For the consumables:
MSC - they rock and their shipping is fast.
Empire abrasives - sanding pads, discs etc.
Annex tools - for the band saw blade, the Xfit blade is about $2 more but lasts 5 times longer than any other blade we've found. If you call them, tell them the crazy lady in Eastern WA recommended them (heehee) They'll figure it out.

I have several Grizzly tools, table saw, lathe, shaper, radial arm drill press, dust collector and then i have an 18" woodmaster. I would buy grizzly and woodmaster again.

Thank you all for the information. I was not aware of the Grizzly brand so I am researching them now, as well as the other mentioned brands. A friend was selling all his dads wood working equipment a couple years ago but I did not have the cash available to purchase what I needed. That was an Oh Bummer moment that will stick with me forever.

Back