Red cedar value???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's interesting that these trees are not really cedars, actually there are not that many real cedars, only two that I know of that are around, one is Cedrus Atlantica and Cedrus Deodora, neither of these are native to the U.S.A. but they do well, the Atlantic Cedar is a bright bluish color and the Deodor Cedar is green, Cedar of Labanon is not as common though I've seen a few, all these true cedars are frequently planted in special parks and where people have a lot of expensive landscaping.

Opps.

Last edited:
though I've seen a few, all these true cedars are frequently planted in special parks and where people have a lot of expensive landscaping.

Thanks, more than I knew this morning. Since I pretty much study only what grows wild around me I had never read up on real cedars. Did a little reading this morning... now I know they are in the Pinaceae family or pine family... unlike the two we "call" cedars. Both of those are in the Cupressaceae family.

I guess by now greenacres knows more about cedars and false cedars than he wanted too.

Back in the 1960's I worked for a guy that ran a landscaping/mowing business out of Montlake Terrace in northern Seattle, he told me about true cedars and the names of many trees, that certainly was a while back but I still remember a few, add that to what info is on the internet and it's amazing what an old man can learn. Here in Oregon we have what's called incense cedar or pencil cedar (which was used to make pencils), many of the larger trees were used in shake mills, they can be easily split with a froe and were used to make shakes and shingles. A number of years back my wife and I cut a lot of incense cedar bows for a wreath and garland business that made them for Christmas, made enough money one year to buy a Ruger 30-06 rifle. I haven't heard of any of those businesses being around any more, but we enjoyed picking things like Bear Grass, Salal, Sword Ferns and Huckleberry branches for flower displays, probably a lot of people have seen displays of these plants and didn't give it a second thought, I didn't until after I had picked them.

Thanks, more than I knew this morning. Since I pretty much study only what grows wild around me I had never read up on real cedars. Did a little reading this morning... now I know they are in the Pinaceae family or pine family... unlike the two we "call" cedars. Both of those are in the Cupressaceae family.

I guess by now greenacres knows more about cedars and false cedars than he wanted too.

I almost went ancient too, about the cedars of Lebanon,why cut em AD 30s - 50s down and why.

Back