Red Cross Recommendations for Preparedness

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter

I saw this and thought that it is another opportunity for all of us the check out our supplies and preps.

What Do You Need In A Survival Kit?​

At a minimum, you should have the basic supplies listed below:

1. Water: one gallon per person, per day (3-day supply for evacuation, 2-week supply for home)
  2. Food: non-perishable, easy-to-prepare items (3-day supply for evacuation, 2-week supply for home)
  3. Flashlight
  4. Battery-powered or hand-crank radio (NOAA Weather Radio, if possible)
  5. Extra batteries
  6. First aid kit
  7. Medications (7-day supply) and medical items
  8. Multi-purpose tool
  9. Sanitation and personal hygiene items
  10. Copies of personal documents (medication list and pertinent medical information, proof of address, deed/lease to home, passports, birth certificates, insurance policies)
  11. Cell phone with chargers
  12. Family and emergency contact information
  13. Extra cash
  14. Emergency blanket
  15. Map(s) of the area
Consider the needs of all family members and add supplies to your kit:
  • Medical supplies (hearing aids with extra batteries, glasses, contact lenses, syringes, etc)
  • Baby supplies (bottles, formula, baby food, diapers)
  • Games and activities for children
  • Pet supplies (collar, leash, ID, food, carrier, bowl)
  • Two-way radios
  • Extra set of car keys and house keys
  • Manual can opener

Additional supplies to keep at home or in your survival kit based on the types of disasters common to your area:
  • Whistle
  • N95 or surgical masks
  • Matches
  • Rain gear
  • Towels
  • Work gloves
  • Tools/supplies for securing your home
  • Extra clothing, hat and sturdy shoes
  • Plastic sheeting
  • Duct tape
  • Scissors
  • Household liquid bleach
  • Entertainment items
  • Blankets or sleeping bags

So many important items missing.
I'm not overly impressed with the Red Cross. Better than nothing but the problem is that many will think they are ready for a disaster if they have the Red Cross list.

The biggest thing missing on the list is knowledge: the ability to adapt to situations as they arise, and having the stuff necessary to meet the challenges. Cordage is nice, but if you don't know anything about knots, the value is diminished. Same with maps: having them is good, but if you've never learned overland orienteering, you are in for some surprises.

I saw this and thought that it is another opportunity for all of us the check out our supplies and preps.

1. Water: one gallon per person, per day (3-day supply for evacuation, 2-week supply for home)
  2. Food: non-perishable, easy-to-prepare items (3-day supply for evacuation, 2-week supply for home)
  3. Flashlight
  5. Extra batteries
  6. First aid kit
  8. Multi-purpose tool
  10. Copies of personal documents (medication list and pertinent medical information, proof of address, deed/lease to home, passports, birth certificates, insurance policies)
  13. Extra cash
  14. Emergency blanket
  15. Map(s) of the area
  • Medical supplies (hearing aids with extra batteries, glasses, contact lenses, syringes, etc)
  • Two-way radios
  • Manual can opener

Additional supplies to keep at home or in your survival kit based on the types of disasters common to your area:
  • Whistle
  • N95 or surgical masks
  • Matches
  • Rain gear
  • Towels
  • Work gloves
  • Plastic sheeting
  • Duct tape
  • Scissors
  • Entertainment items
It's a start, and likely better than a great percentage of the population has on hand.

It is nice to see they at least have added the caveat albeit parenthesized " 3 day supply for evacuation and 2 week supply for home. " IMHO this is a great improvement over the 72 hour Emergency Kit. Again, JMHO those numbers should be doubled at a minimum. Even with the minimums they recommend you would be better off than most. I wonder why they are so reluctant to change?

Does anybody have any statistical numbers on SHTF scenarios? On average how long are people without power? How long are peoples' lives compromised? I would think the Red Cross would keep data like that, but I have no idea how to access it.

It is nice to see they at least have added the caveat albeit parenthesized " 3 day supply for evacuation and 2 week supply for home. " IMHO this is a great improvement over the 72 hour Emergency Kit. Again, JMHO those numbers should be doubled at a minimum. Even with the minimums they recommend you would be better off than most. I wonder why they are so reluctant to change?

Does anybody have any statistical numbers on SHTF scenarios? On average how long are people without power? How long are peoples' lives compromised? I would think the Red Cross would keep data like that, but I have no idea how to access it.
First you have to define the "shtf". Electric Down? Electric and NG down? Chemical spill? Apartment fire? Tornado/hurricane? An apartment catches fire, 4-way too many families affected. The SHTF for them. Hurricane hits Florida? Lots more people. High altitude EMP? Derailed train? Overturned Hazmat tanker?

I can't begin to think about how to find the data for all the possible scenarios :(

Some "food for thought" "Disaster Relief - Matthew 25 Ministries

https://teamrubiconusa.org/

In 2015 I did a presentation on the subject. I found that most power outages are in the summer (red line).
1676725613602.png

But the winter events are typically longer:
Winter in Blue Typical are now close to 50 hours, Summer Red is closer to 25 hours:
1676725691100.png

Note the outliers, over 150 hours: these are the events that I worry about.

Taken from my presentation:
Take Away's
• You should expect more power outages in summer (2 times more likely)
• Outages typically last up to 24 hours in summer
• Winter outages typically last twice as long
• Outages in my area have lasted over a week in the past
• Water outages typically happen in winter (Freeze)
• Water outages are usually repaired within 2 days
• Water outages can result in equipment damage (dirt in pipes afterward), damage to water heater, washing machines, clogged filters.

I know my materials and references are a little dated (2005-2014), but the story line has not gotten any better.
Cheers! Urban

That may explain the fundamental need for the 72 hour kit. Using the 80/20 rule, if you have a 72 hour kit you will probably be prepared at least 80% of the time.

In 2015 I did a presentation on the subject. I found that most power outages are in the summer (red line).
View attachment 104326
But the winter events are typically longer:
Winter in Blue Typical are now close to 50 hours, Summer Red is closer to 25 hours:
View attachment 104327
Note the outliers, over 150 hours: these are the events that I worry about.

Taken from my presentation:
Take Away's
• You should expect more power outages in summer (2 times more likely)
• Outages typically last up to 24 hours in summer
• Winter outages typically last twice as long
• Outages in my area have lasted over a week in the past
• Water outages typically happen in winter (Freeze)
• Water outages are usually repaired within 2 days
• Water outages can result in equipment damage (dirt in pipes afterward), damage to water heater, washing machines, clogged filters.

I know my materials and references are a little dated (2005-2014), but the story line has not gotten any better.
Cheers! Urban
Locally, our power outages are 3 seconds ( a blip) to 8 days (Ike straight line winds) Last one was 2 hours , somebody removed a utility pole with their car.

3. Flashlight
  5. Extra batteries
  6. First aid kit
  8. Multi-purpose tool
  13. Extra cash
  14. Emergency blanket
  15. Map(s) of the area
  • Two-way radios
  • Manual can opener

• Whistle
  • N95 or surgical masks
  • Matches
  • Rain gear
  • Towels
  • Work gloves
  • Plastic sheeting
  • Duct tape
  • Scissors
  • Entertainment items
These are great list to start with. I normally keep close to a years' worth of everything I need on hand. Plus, I practice using all of my emergency items. Over the past several years I have added quite a few things that I needed.

As I practice for emergencies, I always find myself needing something I did not have on hand. So, I always get the items that would make things easier for the next time I practice or if I need something for a real emergency.

I saw a blip on the 'news'.....NBC, I think.....seconds before it got turned off as hubby was alseep in his chair and I was doing chores. But, they were talking with a person close to the train derailment and said they had a stock of water. They panned the camera to the closet that had under 2 cases in the closet. :oops:

These types of (IMHO on purpose) disasters are why I stock the 5 gallon jugs of water along with several cases of regular bottled water. Typically I drink tap water that is run through a Berkey, but I find comfort in knowing I have about 100 gallons of drinking water ready to go in an emergency. I am fortunate that I have many other water options where I live, but a chemical cloud like the one in Ohio would likely render that water useless.

I wonder how long those people are going to need to have fresh water brought in to their town? I don't even know if well water would be safe there or not? I know I sure as hell wouldn't be listening to the CDC recommendations. I am so thankful I don't live in or near that area, but I will pray for those who do. It's so unfair and evil what has happened to them.😡

It seems every day I find something I should have stocked and yet I didn't. Last week I needed a 9 volt battery. I thought I had a box of them in storage, but when I went to get one, I only had 2 left. It's now on my list to get the next time I go to town. It's the little things that'll get ya. I'll often times make the mistake of thinking I have a case of something and when I go to get whatever it may be, I'll realize that I've gone through more than I thought. I have been slacking in the organization area b/c I've been busy with other things. I need to get more focused, especially considering that the Devil is getting more brazen in his attempts to make us miserable. I will continue to pray that God brings an end to his terror very soon.

Last edited:
I am fortunate that I have many other water options where I live, but a chemical cloud like the one in Ohio would likely render that water useless.

This raises another question to me. Is there a way to make this water safe? Can you filter out the toxins? Can you boil away ALL of the impurities? Even rain water will come through that toxic cloud. What can you do?

This raises another question to me. Is there a way to make this water safe? Can you filter out the toxins? Can you boil away ALL of the impurities? Even rain water will come through that toxic cloud. What can you do?
Your bottled water should be fine. If enough poison has gotten through the plastic to kill you, you are already dead. The rain will wash the air. As long as the fire is polluting the air you will have a problem. If you are down wind it will take longer to clear. The depth of the well will determine whiter it is potable. A deeper well could go bad later, depending on the toxin.

I'm guessing that more people here have gas masks than the general public.

Thanks for posting, Weedygarden.
So many Americans do not even have what is on that list. We see that every time a hurricane hits the states.
Having lived in Florida all my life, I've seen this over and over, even locally. It's bad.

My wife and I have food stocks sufficient for YEARS. Our weakness is water for long periods. Ours comes from a well in the front yard, and as long as the gasoline for the generator lasts we can drink.
With no power for months or years we'd have a problem as it is a deep well and I don't think a hand pump will work. At least none that I know of. In a nuclear winter one of us could ride the horse the two miles to the river and bring back two 5 gallon water cans. But this would be in a very, very extreme scenario.

I appreciate the lists for what they are. A starter kit for the general public. They have their FMECA or whatever non-engineers call it, and just try to hit the most universal line items.
How much easier would it be for New Yorkers deal with a hurricane or blizzard if they just took this to heart.
New England gets both hurricanes and blizzards. Mid-west gets tornados, blizzards, arctic cold, hell-fire summers. East coast gets droughts, blizzards, monsoons, earthquakes. Gulf coast gets hurricanes and unrelenting heat/humidity.
It's impossible to make comprehensive list for the 100th percentile that covers just natural events. Never mind man made stuff like the train FUBAR, or a Fukushima.

It is a starter list, and we know that many people don't have many items on this list. Ever see someone post and say they are new to prepping and where do they start? They can start by organizing the items on the list that they already have, and then work to get what they do not have on the list. Is the list complete and perfect? No, but it is better than nothing.

What can be added to this list?

Also, the Red Cross has been a disappointing organization, but better than none. What can be done to improve their organization?

I actually like the Red Cross list because it gives the masses something to strive for... Think of it as kindergarten for preppers...

When you consider that most people can't cover the basics (Water, Shelter, and Food) in an emergency, I think having a list that say's that you need this is a good place to start.

Also, the Red Cross has been a disappointing organization, but better than none. What can be done to improve their organization?
Donate your time/knowledge to them and/or your community's emergency management office. Being a non-profit, they most likely don't have the resources to be as useful as they want to be. And I don't just mean in a material way.

I actually like the Red Cross list because it gives the masses something to strive for... Think of it as kindergarten for preppers...

When you consider that most people can't cover the basics (Water, Shelter, and Food) in an emergency, I think having a list that say's that you need this is a good place to start.
Many people who don't consider themselves preppers could probably work with this list and be okay with it, while they might scorn preparedness in general.

I have never really understood why some people who live in the hurricane zones have not worked to improve their preps. Live in apartment? Okay, I understand that as not an easy place to store all of the things that they could if they were homeowners with some land to have a garage or shed for storing things like hurricane shutters, etc. that can be used again and again.

We live far enough out that our small town American Legion post is a community disaster resource center.
We are even putting together a HAM operation, complete with base station.

We live far enough out that our small town American Legion post is a community disaster resource center.
We are even putting together a HAM operation, complete with base station.
American Legion is a great group to take that on. In my hometown, it is the volunteer fire station that has done a lot of fundraising to improve and upgrade their emergency capabilities. I do not know all the details, but I know that I see that they are frequently fundraising for this piece of equipment or that one.

I have never really understood why some people who live in the hurricane zones have not worked to improve their preps. ...........
Normalcy Bias

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normalcy_bias
About 70% of people reportedly display normalcy bias in disasters.[3] Normalcy bias has been described as "one of the most dangerous biases we have". The lack of preparation for disasters often leads to inadequate shelter, supplies, and evacuation plans.

Many people who don't consider themselves preppers could probably work with this list and be okay with it, while they might scorn preparedness in general.

I think we all agree this is a good place to start, especially for the newbie who hasn't done anything prior. At a minimum it would put them ahead of the masses who have done nothing. Maybe avoid that panic trip to the grocery store or the pharmacy.

That is a list of what you need to survive for a short time. If you are preparing to survive longer you need to raise your own food, have your own water, have a home that will be defendable and survive the worst of what you are planning for.

Latest posts

Back