Red Cross Recommendations for Preparedness

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in the NYC-NJ-Tristate area...This is a very transient area through both relocation from other states and immigration from other countries. People are coming in from areas that don't usually experience either of those weather systems that @HippoTwilight mentions. The largest group of immigrants in my town, for example, are from the Mediterranean area (mostly Turkey, Egypt), South America and the Philippines.

The information provided by the Red Cross is basic but sometimes all you need is basic to get through the immediate trial. Then community come in when it is a much larger scale situation.

People have always run to the store before storms. When I was a kid in the early 70's, my mother and every friend's mothers would go to the supermarket to pick up extra of the perishables so they wouldn't have to go out afterwards. We just didn't see it sensationalized on the evening news (with the anchors talking in their scared and exasperated voices) or on social media posts constantly invading our time.

I live in the NYC-NJ-Tristate area...This is a very transient area through both relocation from other states and immigration from other countries. People are coming in from areas that don't usually experience either of those weather systems that @HippoTwilight mentions. The largest group of immigrants in my town, for example, are from the Mediterranean area (mostly Turkey, Egypt), South America and the Philippines.

The information provided by the Red Cross is basic but sometimes all you need is basic to get through the immediate trial. Then community come in when it is a much larger scale situation.

People have always run to the store before storms. When I was a kid in the early 70's, my mother and every friend's mothers would go to the supermarket to pick up extra of the perishables so they wouldn't have to go out afterwards. We just didn't see it sensationalized on the evening news (with the anchors talking in their scared and exasperated voices) or on social media posts constantly invading our time.
That is so true! Back in the day(😃), there wasn't so much hype, there also weren't long term forcasts. I think people were smarter and relied on their own brain instead of social media! I grew up in a weather aware family. My mom was our school system's Superintendent's secretary, she made the call on if the schools would close for bad weather. She would make a ton of phone calls to those who had to make a ton of phone calls, and the radio stations and tv stations. No computers!😮 Dad worked on a ranch and had to monitor the weather carefully for animal care. People got ready for whatever weather was coming and made necessary adjustments. I too do not remember over dramatic tv reporters.

I was brought up in the days before supermarkets, shops shut at 6pm sharp and didnt open at all on Sundays.
most people had a larder and kept it topped up, you didnt run out of stuff, if you did it was probably Saturday afternoon and the shop was shut until Monday. it was called common sense, but its not common any more.
most people now use a supermarket as their larder and just expect stuff to be on the shelves and panic when it isnt.

Thank you. I can see why those weren't on the list.

There is an 800 pound gorilla in the room that nobody, certainly not anybody in any position of authority wants to discuss. Let;s just call it Security. If you can't protect yourself and your loved ones, you can't stop bad people from stealing what you have. Decide what is best for you, but you have to make sure that all of your preps are secured.

And our thrift store is closed on Mondays, too. If there's a wedding, then the car repair and the hardware store will be closed if everyone is going. Many amish work long days Mon thru Thursday, then half day Friday. Work at home Saturday, No work at all on Sunday.
But yeah, Lonewolf is right, that people use the grocery store for their personal larder.

And our thrift store is closed on Mondays, too. If there's a wedding, then the car repair and the hardware store will be closed if everyone is going. Many amish work long days Mon thru Thursday, then half day Friday. Work at home Saturday, No work at all on Sunday.
But yeah, Lonewolf is right, that people use the grocery store for their personal larder.

And we all adjusted, and life went on, right? You knew when everything was open, and you adjusted your schedule to shop during those business hours. The world had functioned just fine for hundreds of years that way. We all grew up that way. Immediate gratification is a relatively new concept. People have been spoiled having everything at their fingertips a minute away. Accountants have decided that Inventory is a businesses enemy, and not its friend. Everything is done Just-In-Time. Safety stock is unheard of. When the distribution systems break down you are SOL. IMHO this is not an improvement.

Below is the PDF for the "Suggested" 3 day response bag for the Tri-State Medical Reserve Corp.

Quite frankly, most of it is complete and utter bull💩, but it may serve as food for thought.

Attachments

• MRC 72 hr Deployment Bag Checklist.pdf
    154.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
thats a heck of a lot for 3 days, I've carried a lot less for a weeks back packing.

Latest posts

Back