Reference Prepping in "general" on this and other forums, what is your thoughts about other people's prepping, not you're prepping.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what things will you need one day that may not be able to be bought at any price? Do you have them or plans to get them?

I have thought about this, and I agree with Sourdough. It would be a good topic for another thread. There are some things IMHO I feel I am set for life, but I also factor in a more morbid factor. How much longer do you think you are going to live? Realistically for me I feel like I have another 10-15 years. I know I have enough shoes, coats, clothing to outlast me. If our house is intact we have amassed every household item for nearly 50 years. Bedding, blankets, kitchen utensils, tools, liquor, stationery pens, pencils, yes, some reading glasses will all last longer than we will. My wife is a hoarder. Her favorite line is "I might need it some day." It used to drive me crazy. Now I look at the basement (which is legendary BTW) and I see a gold mine of things that can be bartered.

I have definitely factored in time and long term needs into my prepping.

When I first got interested in this topic several years ago, I was kind of in a panic to get things put back and in order. I got lots of projects done, bought stuff, and have built (with hubby's help, or coarse) a nice pantry and also a stash of other goods. We are campers and he's a sportsman so we have a lot of that type of gear already. We both have barterable skills and we have a good connection with our community. I've spent years trying to prepare for the 'what if's', which includes if nothing happens......although I find that highly unlikely at this point considering the supposed moron in charge.

All that said, I must say that I've changed my stance a bit in the last little while. Even though things seem to be ramping up, I feel like I am adequately prepared. If I go down due to lack of preparation, I'll go down way later than most. Still, I have been getting more spiritually intuned to God and that has caused me to relax a bit. I do not fear death. I have since made the decision to refuse to live my life in fear. If a nuke happens over my head tomorrow.....so be it. If it happens miles away, I'll deal with it the best that I can. In the meantime, I'll still make smart purchases and live my life as if everything is rosy. Fear will not dampen my spirit or my happiness, nor will it prevent me from finding the joy in life today.

To hardcore preppers, which I am probably not, I'm sure that sounds a bit naive or a cop out. I get that. However, I believe you have to balance not only staying alive, but living a quality life. Nobody knows exactly what will happen, so I refuse to live every day worrying about what tomorrow may bring. I'm not saying I don't spend any time or effort on getting prepared b/c I appreciate the feeling of security it provides, but it's not my total focus these days. We all have an expiration date, so hopefully God has given me the wisdom to be prepared for what's ahead. In the meantime, while we are being bombarded with 'suck', I will still make room for some fun, love, and joy in the moment.

I tend to think that most of us here are Preppers/Homesteading hobby farmers. We're better off than most but none of us are as prepared as we'd like to be.

I am certainly in this camp. Although I really feel good about my location and a certain degree of self sufficiency I have achieved, I still have much to accomplish on the self sufficiency side. I think, at best, we need to be prepared for some very tough times of limited items in the supply chain and either unavailable or too expensive gas/fossil full driven energy for daily living. At best.

I am very much motivated and driving by that first bullet below in my signature. We have been instructed to do these things for a reason.

To hardcore preppers, which I am probably not, I'm sure that sounds a bit naive or a cop out. I get that. However, I believe you have to balance not only staying alive, but living a quality life

Hardcore prepping, IMO, is living like it already happened, which means a quality life if your preps are in balance.

When I first got interested in this topic several years ago, I was kind of in a panic to get things put back and in order. I got lots of projects done, bought stuff, and have built (with hubby's help, or coarse) a nice pantry and also a stash of other goods. We are campers and he's a sportsman so we have a lot of that type of gear already. We both have barterable skills and we have a good connection with our community. I've spent years trying to prepare for the 'what if's', which includes if nothing happens......although I find that highly unlikely at this point considering the supposed moron in charge.

All that said, I must say that I've changed my stance a bit in the last little while. Even though things seem to be ramping up, I feel like I am adequately prepared. If I go down due to lack of preparation, I'll go down way later than most. Still, I have been getting more spiritually intuned to God and that has caused me to relax a bit. I do not fear death. I have since made the decision to refuse to live my life in fear. If a nuke happens over my head tomorrow.....so be it. If it happens miles away, I'll deal with it the best that I can. In the meantime, I'll still make smart purchases and live my life as if everything is rosy. Fear will not dampen my spirit or my happiness, nor will it prevent me from finding the joy in life today.

To hardcore preppers, which I am probably not, I'm sure that sounds a bit naive or a cop out. I get that. However, I believe you have to balance not only staying alive, but living a quality life. Nobody knows exactly what will happen, so I refuse to live every day worrying about what tomorrow may bring. I'm not saying I don't spend any time or effort on getting prepared b/c I appreciate the feeling of security it provides, but it's not my total focus these days. We all have an expiration date, so hopefully God has given me the wisdom to be prepared for what's ahead. In the meantime, while we are being bombarded with 'suck', I will still make room for some fun, love, and joy in the moment.
Well said young Lady, I definitely agree God is in control and it will rain on the just and unjust equally.

It is all in the thread title.

My observation as I look around and interact with others on forums reference "Prepping", is the surprising calm. Not that they don't have a few more "little" things to pick-up or do, but they pretty much feel they are ready. This seems to include nearly all preppers. They feel done, ready.
What is your read on this or any other observations you have about the mood or feeling with-in prepping community in general. Not inquiring about your personal feeling reference your prepping.
My view of others not on this forum...

My brother bought a palette of LTS years ago. My sister keeps water carrying on the tradition of my mother.

I used to work with a guy that was ready for bio weapons.

Another ex-coworker was into the zombie apocalypse and bought a used Ryder box truck to carry his motor cycles to meets (he and gis wife were knee draggers). It was diesel fired with solar panels on the roof. Stockpiled with food and gear to maintain motor cycles. Had more guns than me... before he moved to CA (he had to follow his phd microbiologist wife taking a job offer she couldn't refuse. He gad take a job with NASA and a wind tunnel job. Poor guy).

I have a pseudo-neighbor that maybe a prepper. We execute a delicate ballet when we talk never asking directly but agreeing on the driving issues. He has multiple houses but checks next door almost daily. So not sure about him. But there is the rub with preppers maintaining OPSEC.

A now departed friend had loads of LTD food and so many weapons one had to step iver cases of guns to navigate his place. Heart failure took him out before he could kill a bunch if people.

So that is my list.

Everyone else either live hand to mouth or if they know me think I am crazy wasting my time money and efforts when I could be kicking back and swallowing the blue pill.

Is that what you were looking for when you started this thread?

Ben

Is that what you were looking for when you started this thread?
I am cool with whatever people want to do or not do as far as prepping. I have nearly zero human contact other them these forums. My read is people are not worried, which I think is the safest social condition for me. It just surprises me that everyone is so "calm".

I know of no one (other than on this forum) who is prepping. It's frustrating - I feel alone. I AM alone.

My husband and sons have done nothing with regard to preparedness, but clearly they think I have it under control. As if. It's too much of a job for one person in the family. We had a tornado in our area, and immediately they all looked at me like I had all the answers and all the supplies. To be honest, it makes me angry.

My read is people are not worried, which I think is the safest social condition for me. It just surprises me that everyone is so "calm".

Yeah, I'm honestly thankful that the general public still seems calm. Makes me feel like I still have a shot at stocking up. The minute people become less calm, there will be a run on things that will in turn spur on further decline.

I know of no one (other than on this forum) who is prepping. It's frustrating - I feel alone. I AM alone.

My husband and sons have done nothing with regard to preparedness, but clearly they think I have it under control. As if. It's too much of a job for one person in the family. We had a tornado in our area, and immediately they all looked at me like I had all the answers and all the supplies. To be honest, it makes me angry.

Yeah, I'm honestly thankful that the general public still seems calm. Makes me feel like I still have a shot at stocking up. The minute people become less calm, there will be a run on things that will in turn spur on further decline.
On my own here to be sure. Feel as you do. I do the best I can and know I am not prepared for the most part; at least not long term. I guess at least they trust you enough that you do "have all the answers" but fully understand where the anger comes from. I am not sure how this will play out but I do know a few things. I will do as well as I can and for as long as I can. I will work with those that contribute and ignore those that don't.
I mention things from time to time to direct / redirect / point, in a certain direction. Those farming and rural around here understand. Honestly that has always been day to day life here. For so very many they simply are not paying attention at this point. And here I ramble on again... :rolleyes:

I am cool with whatever people want to do or not do as far as prepping. I have nearly zero human contact other them these forums. My read is people are not worried, which I think is the safest social condition for me. It just surprises me that everyone is so "calm".

Calm before the storm....I have almost no contact with people, about 99% less contact with people online than I did just a couple years ago. Maybe I have changed, or people have changed, but I have very little motivation anymore to talk to people about any subject. Everyone is so angry these days...and so few actually know what they are talking about....I find trying to argue with people....pointless....and 99% of interacts are just an argument anyway so I skip that stage and just don't interact with people.

Which does result in a much calmer feeling about things.

This does not mean I'm not busy.
In the last few days I:
Made a 40x70' terrace for a neighbor to build a new greenhouse.
Bought a truck bed trailer to use as the base to build an Hussite war wagon.
Went to a practice session for full contact stick fighting, (the one sport I actually practice)
Picked about 100lbs of vegtables from my greenhouse this afternoon, and which are getting canned as we speak
Gave all my vehicles oil changes.
The last couple hours I've been out in my shop hand forging a two gallon cook pot.
I've finally figured out the design of my house addition, complete with defensive trench network, connecting to my existing fighting trench and probably am going to start the earthworks for that tomorrow.

I may seem calm because I'm not arguing about any of this or asking questions....I'm just doing. Trying to convince people they should be doing the same just results in people telling me I'm doing it wrong, or shouldn't be doing it at all, or telling me how to vote, as if that mattered. Most people, even self labeled preppers are so mired in biases they won't even really consider what someone else is doing but will just start arguing against it before they even understand it.

I am plenty worried, but I have lost faith in other peoples ability to help me so I don't bother worrying 'socially'.

Last edited:
I've seen this and know this. Another thing is that I've also seen the hysteria when life takes a nosedive. I always think of a person who is drowning and someone decides to jump in to try and save them, and then gets drowned by the first person. I know someone who actually died this way.

When we were working in the garage, cleaning and organizing, daughter wondered about why I had sugar out there? Absolutely not the time and place to once again defend and explain all of this.

One thing I have noticed on "Survival Boards" is an amazing amount are actually buying deep rural or wilderness property and building or having someone build a place. They are actually moving there, with very-very little fanfare. Not bragging it up or jabbering about it, just quietly doing it.

One thing I have noticed on "Survival Boards" is an amazing amount are actually buying deep rural or wilderness property and building or having someone build a place. They are actually moving there, with very-very little fanfare. Not bragging it up or jabbering about it, just quietly doing it.
I have noticed a little of that there too.........but the forum is still mostly:
People asking/talking about generators......but almost not at all about fuel (they will always be able to get fuel at the gas station down the road - or just siphon it out of their vehicles, don't you know....)
People who act like CO poisoning doesn't happen when people burn things inside a closed up room
People arguing about whether a nuclear war will ever happen......but where even those who believe it could, don't really ask about how to survive such an attack
People in apartments asking how to survive...............without moving (of course).
People turning every survivalism discussion into a politics discussion.......mostly because they can't separate anything in their lives from politics any more (and because they don't like that the politics section isn't included in the "new" posts).
People who post about international threats, but 100% in the context of US domestic politics, without understanding the first thing about international politics (or indeed history).......with those same posters being incapable of finding the nation they are posting about, on a map.
People copping out and giving up when ever it is suggested to them what is involved in actually getting prepared
People who are obviously Russian disinformation peddlers........but who don't get called out for it
People who store all their emergency water in plastic bottles (or just recently, in canning jars too..........)

I still post there if the thread doesn't fall into any of the content/types listed above - but that means I post about once each day or two - so it is slim pickings.

I've noticed several things across the board on a variety of topics, on the international geo/ political sphere folks who have been otherwise pretty grounded falling for what I call the Red Dawn Syndrome or they're treating current events like rooting for a sports team etc. Domestically untill COVID most of Oceania has been sheltered from the storm and now think that things are going to return to normal. Something I seriously doubt. I don't try and talk to many folks anymore, my circle of trust is getting smaller and smaller. Like one of my Marine Brothers said the other day at lunch meeting new people is exhausting, with old tried and steady friends that one can ride the river with. we can just be ourselves nothing we say to each other will shock us in anyway.

Try to think of it in a more psoitive light. This can be a blessing rather than a curse. You can prepare as you see fit, and not have to argue about it with anybody. My wife and I rarely discuss it, but she knows I have been doing it for a long time, Occasionally she will ask "Do we have this or that? Do we have a shotgun? Do we have enough ammunition?" When an article pops up in one of her magazines it will pique her interest and she will ask questions. Otherwise, it is " Dad's Hobby" (insert eyeroll)

Just keep doing what you are doing, and continue to build your supplies. Prioritize what you think is most important, and tackle that first. When you need help just ask. I'm sure they will help you.

Husband will prep stuff that interests him. Otherwise I do all the mundane stuff, mostly food and medical. Husband likes the solar and the gadgety stuff, and I do not, so it works out well.
A conversation an hour ago....husband says, this recipe looks good. Do we have canned white beans and cherry tomatoes and parmesan and......And I listen and I say, "yep". I am counted on to make sure our food and water preps are ready, animals and garden stuff, and that's just my job.

It is all in the thread title.

My observation as I look around and interact with others on forums reference "Prepping", is the surprising calm. Not that they don't have a few more "little" things to pick-up or do, but they pretty much feel they are ready. This seems to include nearly all preppers. They feel done, ready.
What is your read on this or any other observations you have about the mood or feeling with-in prepping community in general. Not inquiring about your personal feeling reference your prepping.
I'm commenting before reading the other posts, because I want to share what first comes to mind. Might have to add later. At some point, one realizes that they have done what they can do. The important thing is to be right with your Maker. I see many saying just that. We can't live everyday in fear so live the best you can while you can, but be ready. That's pretty much what I'm seeing. There are continued "tips" or suggestions of course, but I think you are correct in many have made their plans and are now just staying the course.

We will go back to the way things where done. These things aren't terribly hard to make if you have studied the past.

And an awful lot of the problems we have, are only problems BECAUSE of the things we have. Most of modern life is just busy work, to support more busy work.
Yes! Well put.

Sooo, you're saying it's okay to use the hair dryer in the shower? ;)😂
Yes... If you are stupid, make sure it is plugged into a 'non-GFI' outlet. :thumbs:

On topic: If you want to know what people are not preppers...
Just let a hurricane blow thru, they will be standing on our front porch expecting us to take them in, supply them with food, water, and shelter, because they are "helpless".
They will give you the choice of being declared "a greedy, heartless bastid" or "kind".
Which one would you chose? :mad:

Last edited:
Not always calm. I have my moments.
Me too, but behind the scenes. I even have a mickey mouse hat I wear in public. It's my favorite hat, have had it for about 30 years - let them think what they want. I am about as forgettable as can be to the general public.

How was your supply of canning jar lids last year? How about your feed stores? Is propane in demand? I feel alone here at times, but I know there are other due to the things that are being sold out in the stores. I think when we are into it a bit, we will discover at least a few folks we know who were prepping like we are/were and kept it under their hats also.

We have three years, or more, of non perishable food put back.
Plus hundreds of pounds of rice.
Plus dry ingredients to make food.
Plus chickens. Plus a vegetable garden.
Plus a horse if there’s no gasoline.
Plus weapons and thousands of rounds of ammo.
And we live on a dead end dirt road six miles outside a one stop light town.

Are we prepared?
More than me..

Me too, but behind the scenes. I even have a mickey mouse hat I wear in public. It's my favorite hat, have had it for about 30 years - let them think what they want. I am about as forgettable as can be to the general public.

How was your supply of canning jar lids last year? How about your feed stores? Is propane in demand? I feel alone here at times, but I know there are other due to the things that are being sold out in the stores. I think when we are into it a bit, we will discover at least a few folks we know who were prepping like we are/were and kept it under their hats also.
The Princess reminds me to wear my Gandalf hat when new neighbors move in and I introduce myself.

I operate in my brother's shadow since he is president of the volunteer fire department and everyone knows him. I am the mad scientist that has filled most of his yard with gardens. I don't talk prepping in person.

When TEOTWAKI comes I hope the gardens will help explain why me and mine are the few "that can still stand to loose a few pounds" (credit a woman on Doomsday Preppers).

Ben

The Princess reminds me to wear my Gandalf hat when new neighbors move in and I introduce myself.

When I go into the city I put on a 'costume' of .44 caliber revolver, shortsword, and chaperon (a 14th century medieval European hat) and N95. Nobody so much as looks me in the eye. It's very useful.

If I had the money and the room, I'd be sitting pretty. ever time I start to store up more stuff, something breaks that won't wait.

I operate in my brother's shadow since he is president of the volunteer fire department and everyone knows him. I am the mad scientist that has filled most of his yard with gardens. I don't talk prepping in person.

When TEOTWAKI comes I hope the gardens will help explain why me and mine are the few "that can still stand to loose a few pounds" (credit a woman on Doomsday Preppers).

Ben
I should clarify - it's not one of those things with ears. It's a ball cap style hat but there's a little micky badge on the front - you know where they would put the name of the business or ball team etc. I just saw and reread that post 😂

Latest posts

Back