Refrigerator Question

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.......I settled for one he could find an 18.5 cubic ft Frigidaire, a black stainless-steel model. It was marked down $300 also plus a 10% military discount. I drove away with a new fridge w/3-year warranty for less than $670.

It wasn’t the one I wanted but it’s still a good bit bigger than my ancient 15 cubic ft model. It’ll do… A name brand I trust.

At least I got my black Friday shopping done on tues… :lil guy:
A heads up on the Lowe's warranty versus the manufacturer's (Frigidaire) warranty. For us, for a 20cf upright freezer, the Lowe's warranty was more expensive, considered the first year of the manufacturer's warranty as a part of their three year warranty, and had some limitations. When I called Frigidaire to register my newest and now our 2nd upright freezer (same make an model as the first one we have - more on that in a minute), they told me about their warranty and why it was so much better than the store warranty. I cancelled the Lowe's warranty and took out the 3 years manufacturer's warranty.

As luck would have it, around that time my first upright freezer was still in the first year of the manufacturer's warranty and one day it decided warmer was better. A quick call to Frigidaire got me a local repair guy and I had no issues at all with how everything was handled. Well, almost one issue. Frigidaire gave me a repair date and time which was a few days in the future. I called the repair guy after I got off the phone with Frigidaire and he said to always call him after I've contacted Frigidaire so he could see where he had openings. He was out that afternoon. I immediately took out a three extended warranty (they have one, three, and five year warranties) on that first freezer since I was at the end of the one-year warranty. Twice more that freezer decided not to play nice (I was in the extended warranty at that point) and twice more I had a pretty quick repair. It's been behaving ever since.

The Frigidaire website is great for finding repairmen in your area.

This is just something to think about. Be sure and register your purchase.

I’m happy with my new fridge. I’ve been going slow to get the operating temp just right. I want it to be about 35 degrees or just under. I’ve been monitoring the temp changes with a laser temp reader.

My old fridge didn’t have an ice maker and I didn’t use ice trays. I ran it about 33-34 degrees. Even on a hot summer day my water, tea, sodas etc. was nice and cold, didn’t need ice. Sometimes in winter things might freeze though.

There isn’t a lot of difference between (old)15 and (new)18 cubic ft fridge. The freezer is about the same size, just a tad bigger but it has a shelf across the center and the door shelves are a little deeper. These two differences don’t seem like much but it does wonders for usability. Its far more functional, no longer is there a big pile of stuff with most things hidden. Now there are two smaller piles and almost everything can be seen.

I got an ice maker with the new fridge but would have to run (city) chlorinated water to it. I’m not going to install it.

The big difference is in the refrigerator portion. Again, the door shelves are deeper, more functional. I gained about 3 inches in height, 2 inches in width and about 5 inches of depth. Not only more space but the layout is far superior, again, more functional and the lighting is much better. The old fridge was almond colored, exterior and interior, visibility was poor. I could see the top shelf but would have to take a knee to see everything else. The vegetable crisper had a solid top and front. It was easy for me to forget what was in there. Now I can see everything at a glance.

There is a little drawer below the top shelf just big enough for most of my meats and cheeses. You know, bacon, sandwich meats, the 4 different cheeses I keep on hand. On a shelf this stuff would spread out everywhere and end up with daily containers on top. I could never find anything. Things would get “lost” and turn strange colors before I found them in the old fridge.

I’m a happy camper! I finally emptied the last few items from the old fridge tonight. In the morning I’ll unplug it and get it out side. Here’s to hoping the new one lasts 27 years like the old one. Heck, maybe kinfolk can remove the shelves and crisper's and save the price of a coffin when they bury me! :rolleyes:

We had to buy a new fridge for the new house we loved the one we had to leave in the former home and we waited until the BF sales to buy a new one just like it hoping that the discounts would equal what we got a couple of years ago, but NOOOO not on that model, they did drop is a cupla hundred but it was still way to spensive!! We went with the next size down and with the BF sales we ended up saving almost an extra $1200.

Latest posts

Back