Regional verbiage (dialect)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
As I read through these threads I notice the difference in verbiage we use, which is likely regional. But sometimes is also based on where you family is originally from. Every time I read the term supper I think of a snack or a meal you have at a church, not a formal meal at home. So look at the following and tell me what you use. Mine responses are in blue. Feel free to add more.

1. What do you call you Noon meal? Lunch.

2. What do you call your evening meal? Dinner.

3. What do you call sweet carbonated beverages? Soda.

4. What do you call the thing that dispenses water in school hallways? Bubbler.

5. Do you pronounce Mary, merry and marry the same? Yes.

6. How do you pronounce route? Root.

As I read through these threads I notice the difference in verbiage we use, which is likely regional. But sometimes is also based on where you family is originally from. Every time I read the term supper I think of a snack or a meal you have at a church, not a formal meal at home. So look at the following and tell me what you use. Mine responses are in blue. Feel free to add more.

This is all true for me, except for 4. the drinking fountain. As a person who grew up in the Dakotas, the noon meal was dinner, and the evening meal was supper.

Beef that is ground up is called ground beef in many places, but in some places it is chopped beef. I have heard it called other things, but don't remember even remember what.

#1 lunch or dinner
#2 supper or dinner
#3 pop or coke
#4 water or drinking fountain
#5 yes
#6 rout, unless it's route 66
I'm a Texan by birth and an Okie by marriage

What do you call you Noon meal? Lunch.

2. What do you call your evening meal? Typically supper but sometimes dinner

3. What do you call sweet carbonated beverages? Normally pop but sometimes sofa

4. What do you call the thing that dispenses water in school hallways? Water fountain

1. Lunch
2. dinner or supper.
3 Soda or pop or soda pop.
4. Water fountain.
5. Yes all the same.
6.Root. In this part of the country we don't have many routs.
Just highways, interstates and freeways.

Because bugoutbob made a typo and said sofa instead of soda what do you call the sofa?
We call it a couch, occasionally sofa and my Grandparents called it a divan even tho it had a back.
Funny I had to go back and correct my typo, I did the same thing.

1. What do you call you Noon meal? Dinner or lunch. We always called it dinner around the house but at school they called it lunch.

2. What do you call your evening meal? Supper

3. What do you call sweet carbonated beverages? Pop

4. What do you call the thing that dispenses water in school hallways? Water fountain or drinking fountain.

6. How do you pronounce route? Rout or root depending on the usage.. Paper rout or bus rout but Root 66.

Because bugoutbob made a typo and said sofa instead of soda what do you call the sofa?
We call it a couch, occasionally sofa and my Grandparents called it a divan even tho it had a back.

We say sofa or couch, but usually sofa. My older relatives used to call them davenports.

Evening meal is dinner, lunch is lunch, I never use supper.
Water fountain.
Otherwise, all the same.

Here's my question after my head almost exploded while in Kentucky.
Do you plug things in, or do you plug them up?

Evening meal is dinner, lunch is lunch, I never use supper.
Water fountain.
Otherwise, all the same.

Here's my question after my head almost exploded while in Kentucky.
Do you plug things in, or do you plug them up?

In--to the outlet And couch!

What do you call you Noon meal? Lunch, unless it is a special occasion like thanksgiving and we are eating dinner early!

2. What do you call your evening meal? Dinner

3. What do you call sweet carbonated beverages? Usually drink, but sometimes soda or coke

4. What do you call the thing that dispenses water in school hallways? Water fountain or germ factory

5. Do you pronounce Mary, merry and marry the same? No

6. How do you pronounce route? Rowt.

7. That big thing in the living room is a couch, and I plug things in.

1. dinner
2. supper
3. coke
4. water fountain
5. Mary, merry same, marry not the same.
6. I never use the word route, aways highway
7. couch
8. Question or statement. Q. is it plugged in? S. It's plugged up.

1. Lunch
2. dinner or supper.
3 Soda or pop or soda pop.
4. Water fountain.
5. Yes all the same.
6.Root. In this part of the country we don't have many routs.
Just highways, interstates and freeways.

A sofa could be a couch, or a love seat, or a divan or a chesterfield. Typically if it is a two person it’s a love seat. Couch or sofa is most common, chesterfield more regional and divan seldom heard but is out there. On very rare occasion you will hear Davenport or settee as well

A sofa could be a couch, or a love seat, or a divan or a chesterfield. Typically if it is a two person it’s a love seat. Couch or sofa is most common, chesterfield more regional and divan seldom heard but is out there. On very rare occasion you will hear Davenport or settee as well
Yes, if it is made for two people it is usually called a love seat. I often see people posting that they have a two person couch. Somehow, they can't say love seat, or don't like the name.

The only place I heard "bubbler" used was when I was in Wisconsin for a short while.
1. Lunch
2> Dinner
3. Soda
4. Water Fountain
5. Same
6. Root
I'm not native New Mexican, but I commonly hear letters left off words, like Mountain is pronounced Moun en. Also I hear sandwich pronounced sangwich. Odd.
In Kansas, motorcycle ....the y is pronounced with a short i like sicle. And hammock has the accent on the second syllable. I love hearing regional differences when we travel. I think soda is used more in the west, pop in the middle south, and calling it what it is more east.

2. What do you call your evening meal? Supper/Dinner (Suppah/Dinnah) R's are optional in Boston

3. What do you call sweet carbonated beverages? Soda/Tonic.

4. What do you call the thing that dispenses water in school hallways? Bubbler. (Bubblah)

5. Do you pronounce Mary, merry and marry the same? No.

And don't forget "wickid pissah" .
Translates to 'really awesome'

1. Lunch
2. Dinner
3. Soda or pop - depends on which side of the city you're on but both are recognized as the same. If you ask for a coke, you'll get a coke.
4. Water fountain or drinking fountain
5. Same
6. Route pronounced root

And you plug something in, not up.

When you're waiting at the bank, do you stand "on line" or "in line"?

Does your locale have a plural of you? When I lived in Baltimore, y'all was common. In Pittsburgh, yins is often heard. Yous is sometimes used down toward New York City.

Latest posts

Back