Regional verbiage (dialect)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In New Mexico, you get your hair cut.
In Kansas, you get your hairs cut.

Some others I've heard.. Get on/off the car instead of in/out of the car. Up the sound or hire it up instead of turn up the volume. The driver's license office instead of the DMV.

1. What do you call you Noon meal? Lunch.

2. What do you call your evening meal? Supper.

3. What do you call sweet carbonated beverages? Pop.

4. What do you call the thing that dispenses water in school hallways? Fountain.

5. Do you pronounce Mary, merry and marry the same? Yes.

6. How do you pronounce route? R out.

1. What do you call you Noon meal? Dinner

2. What do you call your evening meal? Supper

3. What do you call sweet carbonated beverages? Soda.

4. What do you call the thing that dispenses water in school hallways? Water fountain

5. Do you pronounce Mary, merry and marry the same? Yes.

6. How do you pronounce route? Rowt

@phideaux we drop the 'g' on most here in eastern TN but I do have northern roots, I was born and raised in Michigan.

I just thought of another "verbage". We "warsh" clothes and dishes here instead of washing them. I think that's a southern thing though, not just Okla or Texas.

My wife says that.
She even says Warshington and it drives me nuts.
She was born here for crying out loud.
I think she does it now that just to irritate me.

As a child, a student, I had a great sense of spelling. I often won the spelling bees, and almost always got 100% on spelling quizzes and tests. One word I misspelled in second grade was "warsh". It was probably the only word I misspelled in second grade. Knowing that I misspelled it and that it was spelled "wash" helped me to pronounce it correctly. I know why I misspelled it. I had always heard or said "warsh."

Less than 2 weeks and my lovely bride and I will have 41 years in. She must love me because no one else on God’s green earth (short of the saviour himself) put up with me that long. That’s the rough equivalent of two life sentences.

Still have my mom but I left home at 17 ... no way even she would have endured 41 years

I had a woman from Turkey that was raised in New York working as a store manager for me in Florida. I was always trying to explain coloquilisms(sp?) To her. She was asking people at a meeting one morning where "yonder" was. I told her it was a place she wasn't at, and she understood that!

My lovely bride and I ran a conversation group for people with English as a second language to come practice conversation skills for two years. The idioms and regional dialects of Canadians were always hard for the newcomers to grasp. English is a tough language to get right.

Sitting in Gibraltar many Europeans found it an effort to understand my American English as they had been taught British English. They were surprised to find out that it was sometimes work for me to understand some of our regional accents until I explained how large America was.

Sitting in Gibraltar many Europeans found it an effort to understand my American English as they had been taught British English. They were surprised to find out that it was sometimes work for me to understand some of our regional accents until I explained how large America was.
we get the same response from our tourist guests from Europe. They talk about four hour drives going entirely across the country. They are astounded when we measure the distance between communities in hours. The scale of differences is astounding to them

I had that conversation with some guys from Connecticut.
They couldn't understand the county in Oregon I lived in was larger than CT, RI and NH combined.
I had a guy visit from Holland and he was absolutely amazed by the amount of empty land in Oregon.
He could not fathom land that no one used.
He said his Grandfather had a large farm in Holland. It was 5 acres.

I had that conversation with some guys from Connecticut.
They couldn't understand the county in Oregon I lived in was larger than CT, RI and NH combined.
I had a guy visit from Holland and he was absolutely amazed by the amount of empty land in Oregon.
He could not fathom land that no one used.
He said his Grandfather had a large farm in Holland. It was 5 acres.

He would probably love my "rather big farm" of 3 acres then. :D

Many of our B&B guests marvel at how large our one acre property is and say how they would love to own that much land. They are agog when I tell them that we are the smallest parcel in the subdivision (actually there are a few one acre properties but the rest are 2-40 acres). My folks had a tiny hobby farm, it was just 1/4 section (160acres)

LOL. This brings back memories.
The thing that dispensed drinking water in my neighborhood was a 'bubbler'. A fountain was the thing in front of the bank that squirted water into the air.
The Polish neighborhood folks said "Youse guys", and "Dese, Dem, and Doze guys over dare" in "Muh-waukee, Wuhsconsin".
It was breakfast, lunch and supper unless lunch was the main meal, then it was breakfast, dinner and supper. Some of the people I met at the truck stop over the years came from "N'awlins" and "My-ama" and the folks in northern Wisconsin and the UP (upper peninsula of Michigan, home of the 'yoopers') added 'hey' to almost every sentence.
One grandmother 'warshed' up; I was told long ago that 'warsh warter' came from the east coast.
Thank goodness I did not pick up the nasality of the Midwest, by the time I grew up television with its 'Midwest standard' dialect was used as a guide for teachers to correct the pupils. But the indian place names were hilariously mis-pronounced constantly by strangers 'chest passin' tru'.

Latest posts

Back