Regional verbiage (dialect)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At our old home, the neighbours brought their father over from Poland. He had zero English and I have the same amount of Polish. WE both spoke a tiny bit of German and French so our conversations were English/French, Polish, German and lots of gestures. It was work but we did manage to hold conversations. I am told that we were quite funny to watch and listen to.

Many of our B&B guests marvel at how large our one acre property is and say how they would love to own that much land. They are agog when I tell them that we are the smallest parcel in the subdivision (actually there are a few one acre properties but the rest are 2-40 acres). My folks had a tiny hobby farm, it was just 1/4 section (160acres)
A quarter section (160 acres) was a common amount of land given in America homesteads. My gg grandfather was awarded a 160 homestead in Nebraska. He was known as a chaluper in Bohemia (Czech Republic, Czechia). A chaluper had 1/4 of 45 acres to support his family.

A quarter section (160 acres) was a common amount of land given in America homesteads. My gg grandfather was awarded a 160 homestead in Nebraska. He was known as a chaluper in Bohemia (Czech Republic, Czechia). A chaluper had 1/4 of 45 acres to support his family.
Bohemia & Moravia, Home of the pre-Reformer Jan Hus ... who was eventually burned at the stake as a heretic, giving rise to the expression your goose is cooked since Hus means goose. His followers were persecuted. And went underground, some eventually ending up on land owned by Lutheran Nicholas von Zinzendorf and coalesced into the Moravian church. Although many of the Moravians in North American and Europe had fallen off the liberal edge of Christendom, my family and I came to faith in a Bible believing Moravian church.

1. What do you call you Noon meal? Lunch.

2. What do you call your evening meal? Dinner.

3. What do you call sweet carbonated beverages? Pop.

4. What do you call the thing that dispenses water in school hallways? water fountain

5. Do you pronounce Mary, merry and marry the same? Yes.

6. How do you pronounce route? rowt

Bohemia & Moravia, Home of the pre-Reformer Jan Hus ... who was eventually burned at the stake as a heretic, giving rise to the expression your goose is cooked since Hus means goose. His followers were persecuted. And went underground, some eventually ending up on land owned by Lutheran Nicholas von Zinzendorf and coalesced into the Moravian church. Although many of the Moravians in North American and Europe had fallen off the liberal edge of Christendom, my family and I came to faith in a Bible believing Moravian church.

I've been to Easter services at Moravian churches in Alaska and Tonga.

The Eskimo language has no prepositions. Not only do the Eskimos often not use prepositions when speaking English but after several years of living in the area many people drop the use of prepositions.

The Eskimo language has no prepositions. Not only do the Eskimos often not use prepositions when speaking English but after several years of living in the area many people drop the use of prepositions.
Some languages do not use articles--a, an, the, etc. I hear people whose native language does not have articles, and somehow, they almost never use them when they speak English.

I am trying to think how not using prepositions would sound? Do they use the original noun?

Some languages do not use articles--a, an, the, etc. I hear people whose native language does not have articles, and somehow, they almost never use them when they speak English.

I am trying to think how not using prepositions would sound? Do they use the original noun?

Rather than hearing, "I am going to bingo." You are more likely to hear, "I go bingo."

Latest posts

Back