Reloading the .22LR

Discussion in 'Ammo and Reloading' started by Sentry18, May 21, 2018.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. May 21, 2018 #1

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

donec obviam iterum Neighbor Neighbor Contributor

Yes, it is possible. Who knew!?

https://loadoutroom.com/48015/48015/

2. May 21, 2018 #2

CrackbottomLouis

CrackbottomLouis

CrackbottomLouis

Awesome Friend Neighbor Contributor

I've though about reloading 22lr but even with prices the way they are now the value just isnt there. It's still cheap enough that my time is more valuable than the savings. It's cool to have the ability though. Might just get the kit for that.

3. May 21, 2018 #3

hiwall

hiwall

hiwall

22 reloading is just a novelty. Ammo is now plentiful and prices have come down. I will never have to buy any 22 ammo again in my lifetime.

4. May 21, 2018 #4

phideaux

phideaux

phideaux

Awesome Friend Neighbor Neighbor

.22 magnum would be worth it to me, I love that round.

I have more .22LR than I could ever shoot up in what time I got left here on this planet.:ghostly:

Jim

5. May 21, 2018 #5

TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical

The Great Lizard ! Neighbor Neighbor Contributor

I am with phideaux, I bookmarked the site. Not real interested in 22lr but the 22 mag is a different story. That would be cost effective for a mall game ammo.

6. May 22, 2018 #6

Caribou

Caribou

Caribou

Time traveler Neighbor Neighbor Contributor

Talking it over with other shooters they said that it took several minutes per round. If I made 10 or fewer rounds per hour, they said 7 minutes per round, I'd have to be desperate for .22 ammo. The lead, brass, and powder are not a problem but the primer is. Do I store cap gun caps? I can buy over two bricks for the $70 and another brick for the cost of the components.

It would be fun but not very practical.

7. May 22, 2018 #7

ssonb

ssonb

ssonb

This same company makes a kit for making your own # 11 percussion caps. The combo of having a .62 cal smooth bore musket in percussion with this kit would make one of the most effective "survival" guns you could own. Depending on what loads you stuff down the bore you can hunt small game of large with the same "rifle". Admittedly it is not a long range rifle but with a quality cast ball a smooth bore will be quite accurate out to 100 yards, or load with bird or small game shot for other stew pot fillin game. As the mountain men used to say "Meats meat."

OBG 57, TMT Tactical, Caribou and 2 others like this.
  8. May 22, 2018 #8

hiwall

hiwall

hiwall

Reloaded rimfires have to be carefully placed individually into the rifle chamber so the firing pin will hit a different spot on the case. This is a pain. I have tried reloading large antique rimfires that you could not get ammo for anymore. It was more trouble than it was worth even on those.
    On reloading 22 mags, the rifle performance would change due to using plain lead bullets and the velocity would have to be less to prevent leading the bore.
    I stick with my statement above "22 reloading is just a novelty."
    In my shop I could make a simple press or jig to make percussion caps in just a few minutes but I have never done so. Because I have thousands of store bought percussion caps that I bought cheap. For a SHTF situation you would not be going through many caps anyway.
    Many things Can be done but other than for the novelty of doing it, why would you? Things like using empty 22 cases to make your own 22 caliber jacketed bullets. Why bother?
    For many years I made complete cases for for old guns when I could not buy ammo. Or I would spend hours transforming modern ammo into one of those old cases. Turn down case rims, trim cases, fire-form the brass, re-trim after fire-forming. Hunt down correct size berdan primers and then reload berdan primed cases. It was cool shooting guns that otherwise could not be fired but now I am just too lazy to do all that stuff. And it has very very little prep value. There are hundreds of millions of modern guns and many billions of rounds of modern ammo in the usa. Even in the "end times" those guns and ammo will last many many years.

OBG 57, squirrelhunter, ssonb and 4 others like this.
  9. May 27, 2018 #9

Spikedriver

Spikedriver

Spikedriver

I'm in agreement, there's not much practical value to it, and I wouldn't bother with it. But sometimes, for some people, "Just because I can" is a good enough reason. If you try it, more power to ya...

Caribou, OBG 57, ssonb and 2 others like this.
  10. May 28, 2018 #10

ssonb

ssonb

ssonb

I agree with HW , practical no but I like to experiment.

Caribou, TMT Tactical and OBG 57 like this.
  11. May 28, 2018 #11

TBob

TBob

TBob

But what about your childrens and grandchildrens lifetimes ... that is what I prep for

TMT Tactical and OBG 57 like this.
  12. May 28, 2018 #12

hiwall

hiwall

hiwall

You would be much better off with a couple of black powder rifles. Say a 50 and a 32 caliber. Black powder can be easily made and percussion caps can be made and/or stock piled. You would not be dependent on lead because anything of the approximate caliber can be used with a patch.

With 22 rimfire reloading both the powder and the priming are VERY specialized. And the cases would wear out quickly. Remember once hit that portion of the rim is then worthless so the reloaded case has to be carefully turned to present a new section of the rim for the firing pin strike. Then if the firing pin happens to hit a section of the rim with no priming compound (a common problem) then you would have to slightly turn the case so the firing pin could strike a different spot. If you got more than two loadings out of a spent case I would be very surprised.
    Reloading 22 rimfire ammo is a cool idea, but it is just not practical, either now or especially after SHTF.

Caribou, TMT Tactical, OBG 57 and 2 others like this.
  13. May 28, 2018 #13

TBob

TBob

TBob

Not at all.. the rim can be tapped flat, the primer can be match heads..the powder isn't specialized either.
    But it doesn't matter...I was commenting on the "I have enough for my lifetime" comment..to me, that isn't enough. Stock more :)

14. Sep 24, 2018 #14

mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman

Super Friend Neighbor Contributor

I think a lot of people just like to have the ability to do it should it become necessary.

I know people who have reloaded 22 rimfires at a time when it was very difficult to find ammunition for it (WW2).

You never know if such conditions may happen again. Like most of those here I have a good supply on hand already. But then that's the thing about prepping, you try to cover all of the bases. And like has been said already you could buy a couple of bricks of 22s for what the kit cost. But if you already have all the 22 rimfires you'll need for this lifetime and you have the money laying around you really haven't hurt anything by buying a kit.

I read the ideas about muzzleloaders and other alternates. I have muzzleloaders, air rifles, bows and arrows, and virtually every other kind of weapon and hunting tool used in history. One thing I believe is that a crossbow should be in every Preppers arsenal. I have used mine for killing ground squirrels and other small animals and I've used it on big game. It doesn't take a lot of after shooting clean up like a muzzleloader and ammunition is not that hard to make for it. Mine are extremely accurate, equaling my rifles out to about 40 yards.

The big weakness is bow strings. But those are easy to make with relatively cheap materials. Learn how to do it and purchase the bow string material ahead of time. (And the necessary tools if you're shooting a compound.)

The other thing is a modern air rifle. I have pump types, spring piston, and pre-charged pneumatic. The pre-charged pneumatic is the Cadillac of the bunch. The other two types are cheaper yet very effective. And pellets are easy to come by and they store forever.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Bacpacker and Caribou like this.
  15. Sep 24, 2018 #15

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

Old Cowpoke Neighbor Contributor

Now we know who caused the shortage!!!! :D:D

ssonb, Caribou, Terri9630 and 2 others like this.
  16. Sep 24, 2018 #16

hiwall

hiwall

hiwall

As a prepper I consider the 22 rifle as by far the best gun to own. It is the quietest gun and in a shtf situation you could use it to take all matter of game birds and animals (up to deer size). It uses the cheapest, lightest, and least bulky ammo while also being the most versatile by far. In my opinion anyone who is into prepping at all should have at least one 22 rifle and a large supply of ammo for it.

17. Nov 16, 2018 #17

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

Old Cowpoke Neighbor Contributor

Does a 22 LC have a higher failure to fire then a center fire cartridge?

I'm in agreement 22 LC should be your first purchase. A young child to an aged adult could handle the recoil. Small to large game, two and four legged predators.

Caribou likes this.
  18. Nov 16, 2018 #18

hiwall

hiwall

hiwall

Does a 22 LC have a higher failure to fire then a center fire cartridge?
    I believe they use the same priming compound in both center and rimfire so each should last about as long in storage. Rimfires do seem to have a slightly higher failure to fire but often that leads back to light firing pin strikes.

Caribou, The Lazy L and ssonb like this.
  19. Nov 17, 2018 #19

SheepDog

SheepDog

SheepDog

22 RF ammo is less reliable than centerfire ammo. The reason is that there is no cup holding the priming material. in normal handling the primer material cracks and leaves the rim area. After misfires I have pulled the rounds apart and found the priming compound mixed in with the powder. This is especially true in the "bulk pack" 22s. The ammo I use in competition is packed in a tray at the factory and I handle it gently at all times. The ammo I use for plinking and varmints can be just about anything. This brings another point to mind - each gun has its preference to which ammo shoots well. In my rifle anything Winchester is junk but my son's 22 loves the stuff. Find out which ammo is most accurate in your gun and use it. I sight my rifle in at 80 yards and it will group at just about an inch with my competition ammo. The Remington ammo that my gun likes, that I use for hunting and plinking, is slightly less accurate shooting about an inch and a half at 80 yards. This is high velocity ammo (1250 to 1280 fps) and it will work well on game up to small deer with head shots. I would never use a 22 RF on a deer unless there was no choice. They are my go to rounds for rabbits and squirrels on the ground and silhouetted against the trunk of a tree. You have to keep in mind that even a 22 RF will travel 2 to 3 miles and can be lethal out to about 250 yards.

Back when 22 LR ammo was hard to find I decided to see if I could make reloadable LR cartridges. I used 25 ACP cases and turned the base and rim to match the 22 and then swadged the case walls down to the right dimensions. I ended up with a perfect 22 LR center-fire case. It only took 0.9 grains of HP-38 powder to match the velocities of high velocity RF rounds. I couldn't fire these in my rifle without modifying the firing pin but they worked perfectly in my TC Contender using the center fire firing pin. I didn't have enough cases to work up an accuracy load but the load I had was better than the Remington ammo for accuracy. I did it just to see whether I could or not. I now have a bullet casting mold, a set of sizing dies and a powder charge thrower that is just for that ammo. I will likely never use it in the future but it was a fun and rewarding experiment.